News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Building my dream car, daytona clone!

Started by Mark H, March 25, 2018, 05:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark H

Hey everyone, last weekend I was able to buy a 69 Charger and drag it out of the barn/shed where it sat for ten years neglected! I debated on restoring it back as a regular charger or do a Daytona clone. After a lot of back and forth I figured I might as well build the car how I want and always dreamed of owning a wing car, so I'm going to try and build one!! I got lucky and I have located a 70 Charger front clip and I also found a Vega hatch back that is in great shape and I will be picking it up next weekend. I have never built one so I have a lot of questions such as who do you recommend I get the Daytona kit through? I am also wondering how I cut down the trunk lid and does some one make a cap to weld onto the trunk to give it the finished look? Does any one have any detailed pictures of shortening the trunk lid and how the Daytona trunk hinges attach, also wondering if any one has any pictures of the process of attaching the Vega hatch. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!

Mark H

Picture of where the car sat on a ranch in Wyoming

Mark H

The car is overall pretty solid with just a couple rust spots on the back quarters.

Mark H

The car is originally red with white top and interior at some point it was painted black and some one felt like they had to spray paint the 01 on the doors..

daytonalo

Is your neighborhood built on some old dirt track ?

70 sublime

Better question how did you find a car like that out in the middle of no where ??

Welcome to the group
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

JB400

Welcome to  the forum  :cheers:  Good luck on your project :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn:

NHCharger

Use the search option here. You will find some pretty good info on this board.
Seems like Janak and Stinger are the two suppliers that offer the best complete packages. For the wing contact board member Daytona Guy "Dane".
Word of warning- nothing simply bolts on. Almost Every piece you buy will need to be massaged to fit.
I'm just finishing up my clone in the next month, my wife asked the other day why it takes so long to build the car, after thinking about it here is the breakdown by percentage.
25%- Actually working on the car.
25%- modifying parts (old and repop) to make them work/fit.
25%- cleaning the parts
25%- looking for the tool I just had in my fuckin hand.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Mark H

Thanks for the welcome guys!! I know a guy that owns a 68 Charger but he also hauls cattle in the Wyoming, South Dakota area and he had to go to the ranchers place and he found out he had a 69 Charger just sitting.  He told me about the car two years ago but at the time I was restoring my 70 Charger so at the time I wasn't looking for another project so I didn't think much about it.. I've been recently looking for another car and a few deals fell through on some other cars so i figured I would check if the 69 Charger was still hiding in the shed and luckily it was!! The rancher bought the car ten years ago and thought it would be cool to own one and restore it. He unloaded the car and never touched it again just got more and more buried in the shed.  I know of two guys who passed on the car thinking it was in to many pieces and they wouldn't be able to get it going again.. I was able to pick the car up pretty cheap and the car is pretty much all complete just in pieces.

70 sublime

I had the same hay bale tarps piled on my car in my shed just like that one winter  :2thumbs:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

XS29L9B2

Good luke in your project , the Way is so far
dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

Mark H

Hey guys I got a Vega hatch today for the Daytona build and I was wondering if any one has pictures of the install they did on there car, do I need to take the inner skin off so I just have the window and outer shell?

Dans 68

Quote from: NHCharger on March 25, 2018, 09:31:36 PM
...25%- looking for the tool I just had in my fuckin hand.

That made me laugh out loud. Well put - we have all been there. And will be there again.  :2thumbs:

Dan
1973 SE 400 727  1 of 19,645                                        1968 383 4bbl 4spds  2 of 259

XS29L9B2

Quote from: Mark H on March 30, 2018, 04:14:26 PM
Hey guys I got a Vega hatch today for the Daytona build and I was wondering if any one has pictures of the install they did on there car, do I need to take the inner skin off so I just have the window and outer shell?

With Vega hatch you have many photo in my post
dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona