News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Flywheel ID help*UPDATE*

Started by TommyGun, March 25, 2018, 06:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TommyGun

Could anyone tell if I am correct in thinking this is an externally balanced flywheel that won't work with my 68 440? It looks like the "6pack" 70-72 10.5 inch on Brewers website

metallicareload99

Are those extra holes in the top right of your first picture drilled all the way through? It does look like you are on the right track, I wonder if there's a way to verify if a flywheel is neutral balance or not? I would also think that it is possible to make a flywheel neutral balance again
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

TommyGun

I think they are all the way through, I'd have to double check.  My local machine shop can resurface and balance for about 100 bucks.  440source has new flywheels all balanced and ready for $149. Leaning towards a new one right now unless anyone has any other thoughts?

John_Kunkel

The 440Source flywheel is billet steel as opposed to the cast factory unit. That alone is worth the extra $50 IMO.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

TommyGun

Thanks John I appreciate the input.

TommyGun

So I  ended up going with the flywheel from 440 source, it comes with a weight attached that you can remove for a neutral balance.  I installed it with the weight removed and when I first started the car could feel a vibration when the engine was revved up and also under acceleration.  I put the weight back on the flywheel and the vibration is almost gone but it comes back when going over 60-65 mph.  It would appear that my engine has a custom external balance I think, but not sure.  The torque convertor from my automatic that I removed has a big hunk of weight on it, like much bigger than what I see as what the original torque convertor weights are.  Any suggestions on how to proceed??Kinda wondering if I should take the torque convertor to an engine shop and have them try to decide how much weight has been added and try to match that with the weight that bolts to the flywheel?

John_Kunkel

Quote from: TommyGun on June 13, 2018, 09:58:27 AM
The torque convertor from my automatic that I removed has a big hunk of weight on it, like much bigger than what I see as what the original torque convertor weights are.

The actual dimensions of the weight would help. Length x width x thickness.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

TommyGun

I will measure it when I'm home tonight but off the top of my head its about 4 x 1/2 x 1/2.  Ive put a little over 100 miles on the car in the past few days and it seems to be a driveline vibration.  I can push in the clutch and let the motor idle down on the highway and its still vibrating.  Im thinking maybe the rear bushing in the trans or the driveshaft is out of balance. I want to measure the driveshaft as well because it seems like there isn't much of the yoke sticking out when its all together its nearly all in the back of the trans. Thanks again Mr. Kunkel.

One more thing I will add to this is that I believe the 18 spline trans I have is from a 70 or newer because the auto  trans cross member worked with no modification.  Are these transmissions longer by chance?