News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

70 RT Tail Trim Panel?

Started by ricoman97, March 26, 2018, 10:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricoman97

I need some advise on the 70 Trim Panel around the tail lights. Currently the car does not have one, see pic.  One was sent with the car, but it is pretty rough. 

Are there after market ones to buy?  How hard are these to restore to take the dings, dents and bends out?
Thanks in advance.

A few mopar!

Lennard

Not being reproduced and a professional trim restorer can make it look like new... but it takes a lot of time so it will cost you.

Derwud

Check with a guy over at the 70 Charger Registry

http://www.1970chargerregistry.com/

Board name: tsmithae
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

70 sublime

Think you might have to take the chrome trim off the 69 tail light lenses you have now to make the panel fit right 
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

dual fours

1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

dual fours

Quote from: 70 sublime on March 27, 2018, 08:04:39 AM
Think you might have to take the chrome trim off the 69 tail light lenses you have now to make the panel fit right  
His, ricoman97's tail light, the left one looks to have the (hard to see in his photo) reflector in the center, makes them 1970 calendar year. His car did start out as a XH Base model /6 no tail panel. (I have corrected myself :slap: :slap:) He may want to paint the rear panel body color, he will be drilling holes in his rear panel to fasten the tail panel.
I'm sure you know that you have a 500 tail panel there and not a R/T tail panel.

Edit: I did look at my '70 with a '69 build date, and with '69 taillights (no reflective center lens) have thin edges (no chrome) on the outer side and inner side with the trim panel. Chargers without trim panels (XH) would have chrome edged taillights.  :popcrn:

Edit: I now see that chrome trim edge is a slip on piece (as noted above) now that I look closer at things.  
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

ricoman97

Quote from: dual fours on March 27, 2018, 08:30:54 AM
Quote from: 70 sublime on March 27, 2018, 08:04:39 AM
His, ricoman97's tail light, the left one looks to have the (hard to see in his photo) reflector in the center, makes them 1970 calendar year. His car did start out as a H model /6 no tailpanel. IIRC (correct me if you will) the chrome is a coating, and could he paint the chromed edge black? I do think the chrome will be covered with the tail panel and he may want to paint the rear panel body color, he will be drilling holes in his rear panel to fasten the tail panel.
I'm sure you know that you have a 500 tail panel there and not a R/T tail panel.

Edit: I did look at my '70 with a '69 build date, and with '69 taillights (no reflective center lens) have thin edges (no chrome) on the outer side and inner side with the trim panel. Chargers without trim panels (XH) would have chrome edged taillights.  :popcrn: 

This is very helpful.  I am wondering since it is an XH if like you mentioned it is correct as is?  And yes I do know I have a 500 panel. It was thrown in there by PO.
A few mopar!

dual fours

Putting the R/T tail panel on will finish making the car what you want it to be, a cloned Hemi R/T. Leaving the tail panel off makes the rear view look like what it was, a XH base model ass end. It will still looks nice.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

DAY CLONA

Quote from: ricoman97 on March 26, 2018, 10:50:23 AM
I need some advise on the 70 Trim Panel around the tail lights. Currently the car does not have one, see pic.  One was sent with the car, but it is pretty rough.  

Are there after market ones to buy?  How hard are these to restore to take the dings, dents and bends out?
Thanks in advance.

If you have the skill to do body/metal work you can straighten the piece yourself, for polishing after stripping the paint and metal finishing, you'll need to removed the anodized clear finish just in the 1/2 polished border area, then after polishing you can clear coat the 1/2" trim line, tape off and paint the satin black finish back on, the "Charger" tail script emblem you have on the car now if new/repro can be used, just "snip" off the flag portion of the emblem, purchase the repro 70 (R/T) tail panel R/T emblem, combine both to have a factory R/T finish panel

FYI, Only the actual "R/T" portion of the Charger R/T tail panel emblem is available repro, if you need a new "CHARGER" script you have only the 68-70 standard "CHARGER" emblem with the flag attach to it available, but the font/size are pretty dam close to the original... also you'll need to remove the chrome trim from around your existing taillights, "most" 70's with the tailight surrond panel have the reflector in the center of the taillight if your concerned with accuracy, and avoiding the wrath from the VIN/fender tag readers and other know it alls...

Here's my former Charger 500 rear panel converted to "R/T" status

Kern Dog

My car is actually a 500. I took the flag off of my Charger/flag emblem and attached the R/T next to it.