News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Re-body 1970 v code charger

Started by Bdlakey, April 02, 2018, 12:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bdlakey

What is your thoughts on re body on a 1970 v code charger that was destroyed by fire. It was absolutely beyond repair.

alfaitalia

If you are planning on using the original VIN, fender tag etc I think that's what they call ...."illegal"......LOL ! Well it certainly would be here...things might be different over there. Amongst other things it would be fraud...as you would be trying to pass a vehicle off as something it's not.......not too much of a problem all the time you own it....big problem when you want to sell or insure it. If you are not then is just a replica with a different VIN...in which case knock yourself out!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Alaskan_TA

Why screw up another body by swapping VINs?

Two cars die that way.

Sad & illegal.

If in doubt, ask your local state cops about VIN swapping.

It is also insurance fraud if you insure a car body & the VIN on the policy is not for the original body.

Bdlakey

Missouri highway patrol told me as long as I could use the firewall it is fine but that made no since as seeing that is not where the vin is.

Bdlakey

As long as it's done in a legal way what would be the difference in replacing 90 percent of sheet metal on a rusty car. Those parts were not born with those car numbers so you changing the car basically.

Derwud

You are building it for personal use or to resell? I say build a clone using the VIN from the Cloned car.. Cars die, we move on..
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

Lennard

Quote from: Bdlakey on April 02, 2018, 12:39:31 AM
What is your thoughts on re body on a 1970 v code charger that was destroyed by fire. It was absolutely beyond repair.
You just opened up a can of worms.  :lol:

Alaskan_TA

The fakers & frauds will say to just do it, they want everyone to be like them.

The rest of us are trying to help you stay out of trouble.

Moving VINs ruins reputations too.

Dead cars stay dead around here.

paironines

This is why I dont buy restored cars. Not paying top dollar for a VIN swap.
A local guy had a burned out 68 Super Bee that looked awful but an interior, roof skin, 1 partial quarter, and doors it was back in respectable shape. Some can be saved from fire. Others cant.

Mike DC

The only reason to swap valuable tags onto a 318 car is to fool other people for a profit.   No matter how you rationalize it, it's fraud.  A clone won't look or drive any worse if it keeps its original 318 tags.  

Hacking up a decent 318 car to save a few rotten chunks of a valuable one . . . that's not the solution either.  The right solution is to just admit the valuable car is gone.  If you want to clone it with a nice 318 car then go right ahead.  But you should admit that the end result is clone.  

DAY CLONA

If you own the VIN/Title, and plan on resurrecting the non salvageable vehicle with whatever components you can transfer onto a donor body, do as you please, and keep it to yourself...no need to hear the pros and cons....

FYI: Federal Law will allow you to legally move the VIN onto a donor body, as long as you move the upper cowl/A pillar section measuring at least 22" in width from the salvaged vehicle onto the donor vehicle, whether you actually do this is your business, but good to know, you don't need an LEO present unless you decide to declare this action to your local RMV/DMV 

69CoronetRT

Quote from: DAY CLONA on April 02, 2018, 11:31:52 AM

FYI: Federal Law will allow you to legally move the VIN onto a donor body, as long as you move the upper cowl/A pillar section measuring at least 22" in width from the salvaged vehicle onto the donor vehicle, whether you actually do this is your business, but good to know, you don't need an LEO present unless you decide to declare this action to your local RMV/DMV 

Source for this statement?
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Bdlakey

The car is burnt from one end to the other and was under another car that was on a lift. So when the building burnt the upper car landed on the 70. I could save the firewall and partial floor. So if I saved that much would it still be a rebody? I'm building it for myself but I may want to sell it one day but I absolutely am not trying to fool people. If it was a 318 car that burnt I wouldn't think twice about it but being the car it is, if there is anyway of keeping it a true 6 pac car I want to try every way possible as long as it is legal.

Alaskan_TA

Quotebeing the car it is

It does not matter what the VIN says, the car is dead.

Bdlakey

How is it dead if its legally fixable

Alaskan_TA

Bdlakey

Already have at it there. They told me as long as i used the complete firewall and the donor car had a title to terminate i would just have to go threw their papper work

F8-4life

Use the search function on this site and read until you fall asleep.
Don't drudge up this subject again, its getting old..

Bdlakey

F8-4life, i would delet this thread but it wont let me

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Bdlakey on April 02, 2018, 02:23:46 PM
Already have at it there. They told me as long as i used the complete firewall and the donor car had a title to terminate i would just have to go threw their papper work

You could do that, but depending on your State, you might end up with a salvage or repaired vehicle title unknowingly, by not declaring the action, which is not illegal BTW (unless there's an Insurance/body shop involved) as long as you retain for your records the title (in your name) and or bill of sale for the donor vehicle to be disclosed at a future possible sale, you can then retain your current "clear" title/registration and avoid LEO inspection or DMV inspection after the "rebody".... generally terminating a donor title/bill of sale is done by Insurance/Body Shops to local/State LEO/RMV/DMV officers, you can do it on a private party release, but this action is generally for licensed repair shops...DAMHIK

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Bdlakey on April 02, 2018, 03:13:19 PM
F8-4life, i would delet this thread but it wont let me

No reason to do that, your here to ask a question, granted some in the hobby don't like the idea of rebodies, nothing wrong performing this task,  just do it the right way, make sure the donor is free and clear of any liens, is/was not stolen or abandoned, that you have a title and/ or bill of sale from the State in which it was purchased...   if some individuals here have no intention of helping you, or their sensitive natures are upset by your questions, there's plenty of other fodder for them to turn their attention to....

birdsandbees

Why's everyone giving this lad such grief, while everyone watches chop cut rebuild as they build a car from Ted's VIN tag..  :yesnod: :icon_smile_big:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

moparstuart

Quote from: birdsandbees on April 02, 2018, 04:28:27 PM
Why's everyone giving this lad such grief, while everyone watches chop cut rebuild as they build a car from Ted's VIN tag..  :yesnod: :icon_smile_big:
and that So called XP hemi charger of Kieslers also.  Plus All the cars Grave Yard cars sends off to AMD and by miracle they come back rebodied but Not so says the show .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Bdlakey

I just want to save a car that they do not build anymore and that was a low production number to start with. I own a restoration shop so using it threw the state patrol they told me i could retain by original vin but I have to have both cars inspected before and after. I'm sure it's going to be a big pain but worth it for me

moparstuart

Quote from: Bdlakey on April 02, 2018, 04:55:47 PM
I just want to save a car that they do not build anymore and that was a low production number to start with. I own a restoration shop so using it threw the state patrol they told me i could retain by original vin but I have to have both cars inspected before and after. I'm sure it's going to be a big pain but worth it for me
any way you do it its still going to be a rebody and will alway be worth less in most peoples eyes .
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE