News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Re-body 1970 v code charger

Started by Bdlakey, April 02, 2018, 12:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

69CoronetRT

Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

BLK 68 R/T

Quote from: Kern Dog on April 06, 2018, 08:18:00 PM
What is "Walla"?

Make it two of them, Walla Walla, and it's a town about half an hour away from me  :icon_smile_big:

Mike DC

The question of rebody has become less about whether a dead car is brought back, and more about whether it's the intact corpse of another 318 car.

chargervert

If that was the intent,he would be doing it in a dark garage,not discussing it on a Charger website! I would like to see the restoration/resurection of this car. I hope he does a build thread on it.

moparstuart

Quote from: DAY CLONA on April 06, 2018, 08:12:49 PM
Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on April 06, 2018, 10:37:15 AM

Hats off to the other show was it graveyard cars ? that declined to touch the ravine daytona thats been posted on here. Which is probably noworse than the chop cut rebuild tona.

The "ravine" Tona' was a joke at best, not even a slice of toast from the fragments left, that would have been just a blatant VIN swap (envelope car),
....at least with a rebody, it will utilize 2 or more vehicles in it's reconstruction...

FWIW, the GYC Cuda had pretty much nothing left to start with after it's blown out carcass was stripped, 2 rockers (barely) and an internal roof brace, and a VIN tag...the "rest" of the pieces in the pic of it on the jig is donor rails, braces, A pillars, etc before all AMD's repro metal was added... then walla!...a Chinese rebody appears at GYC's shop and the viewers rejoice over another great accomplishment that "only a few can do".... :icon_smile_big:

Personally I have ZERO issues with a Chinese rebody or in this case basically a replacement body, I just love Wormans ass kissing and blind eye alignment to be part of the anti-rebody crowd...
thats awesome , he's such a fake and a fraud  , go back and watch the first few GYC shows where he talks so much hate on Aftermarket parts and how he is going to save all the body panels on that car .   Watch it now and he uses everything aftermarket .   
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Lennard

Quote from: moparstuart on April 07, 2018, 11:21:17 AM
thats awesome , he's such a fake and a fraud  , go back and watch the first few GYC shows where he talks so much hate on Aftermarket parts and how he is going to save all the body panels on that car .   Watch it now and he uses everything aftermarket .  
Given by every aftermarket parts company in trade for mentioning and/or showing their name on TV.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: BIGBLCK11 on April 05, 2018, 09:46:17 PM
Quote from: chargervert on April 05, 2018, 09:16:56 PM
Or maybe he just wants to save a rare car. I believe that only 337 automatic and 339 4 speed 70 V code Charger R/Ts were built in 1970. I have a white automatic 70 V code Charger R/T. It sounds like he has the shop,skills,and means to do so.

Yep, saving the VIN, partial firewall and some floor.  Call it what you want.  

Basically almost anything restored nowadays, unless it's rust and collision free, ends up being a "rebody" one way or another, you have guys completely dissecting a nice donor/parts car piece by piece, only to reassemble the whole thing later on the stripped rotted carcass of their "numbers matching, 1 of 1, super rare " vehicle ....

Then there's the guy buying used sheetmetal or repro patch panels "frankensteining" his vehicle patch by patch by sliver in order to "keep as much original sheetmetal" as possible....

Then there's the guy that buys $5-$10K worth of NOS/used/repro panels only to replace 50-80% of vehicle while still thinking he's keeping the same car, esp the nut cases that want only original or NOS sheetmetal on it in order to convince themselves it's still "factory original"

Then there's the rebody guy, he wants to avoid buying 20+ lbs of mig wire, endless days/months/years in some cases slicing/dicing/grafting/fitting/welding/more grinding/more metal finishing, with paint and body many miles down the road, the money spent on repro/used/NOS panels buys a nice /6, 318 base model, hopefully a southern/west coast rust free roller....  this way it's just disassembly, make any modifications needed, assemble to spec using whats left over from the subject vehicle or vehicles, body prep, paint, on your way to final assembly while the other guys are still slicing/dicing/grafting/grinding/welding/grinding and still spending more time, something you don't get back in any way shape or form...

Then you have the question of the vehicles physical fitness/road worthiness/safety when amateur welders/body men start tackling projects beyond their skill sets, the "rebody guy" hopefully has refurbished his vehicle on a sound rust free roller factory body, thus having that all too important and desired factory welds and assembly fit and finish that all the chop/cut/weld/rebuilders so desire in their finished product.
  ...eventually like the other marques that have long accepted rebodies/restamping/etc/etc early on in the hobby, Mopar owners/enthusiast always being late to the game will one day look back on all this petty rebody banter and laugh.... it will require some aging and time for the so called hobby "purist" to eventually realize that all this dedication to "originality" and doing the "right thing" was just trivial at best...      

DAY CLONA

Quote from: moparstuart on April 07, 2018, 11:21:17 AM

Hats off to the other show was it graveyard cars ? that declined to touch the ravine daytona thats been posted on here. Which is probably noworse than the chop cut rebuild tona.

The "ravine" Tona' was a joke at best, not even a slice of toast from the fragments left, that would have been just a blatant VIN swap (envelope car),
....at least with a rebody, it will utilize 2 or more vehicles in it's reconstruction...

FWIW, the GYC Cuda had pretty much nothing left to start with after it's blown out carcass was stripped, 2 rockers (barely) and an internal roof brace, and a VIN tag...the "rest" of the pieces in the pic of it on the jig is donor rails, braces, A pillars, etc before all AMD's repro metal was added... then walla!...a Chinese rebody appears at GYC's shop and the viewers rejoice over another great accomplishment that "only a few can do".... :icon_smile_big:

Personally I have ZERO issues with a Chinese rebody or in this case basically a replacement body, I just love Wormans ass kissing and blind eye alignment to be part of the anti-rebody crowd...
thats awesome , he's such a fake and a fraud  , go back and watch the first few GYC shows where he talks so much hate on Aftermarket parts and how he is going to save all the body panels on that car .   Watch it now and he uses everything aftermarket .   

I remember a few years back when Worman was "promoting" his worthiness as a master of his art as well as his "show", boasted by his claim of "of what only a few can do", and his ability to "save" every piece of sheetmetal on that car, I called it as I saw it back then, it was going to eventually become a complete rebody, Worman had just started to troll Moparts.com at the time I made that statement, another Moparts member (also vendor) who was humping Worman's leg for attention decried my post and passively/aggressively attacked my work/abilities as below par to Wormans super human abilities to resurrect sheetmetal,  ...I had to laugh as I saw amateurish attempts by Worman to attempt resurrection of various panels from that twisted pig.

I have no issue with the car being a replacement body, just Worman's inability to admit to it needing and beoming a rebody for the sake of offending a few "purist"

Back N Black

Quote from: DAY CLONA on April 07, 2018, 11:37:57 AM
Quote from: BIGBLCK11 on April 05, 2018, 09:46:17 PM
Quote from: chargervert on April 05, 2018, 09:16:56 PM
Or maybe he just wants to save a rare car. I believe that only 337 automatic and 339 4 speed 70 V code Charger R/Ts were built in 1970. I have a white automatic 70 V code Charger R/T. It sounds like he has the shop,skills,and means to do so.

Yep, saving the VIN, partial firewall and some floor.  Call it what you want.  

Basically almost anything restored nowadays, unless it's rust and collision free, ends up being a "rebody" one way or another, you have guys completely dissecting a nice donor/parts car piece by piece, only to reassemble the whole thing later on the stripped rotted carcass of their "numbers matching, 1 of 1, super rare " vehicle ....

Then there's the guy buying used sheetmetal or repro patch panels "frankensteining" his vehicle patch by patch by sliver in order to "keep as much original sheetmetal" as possible....

Then there's the guy that buys $5-$10K worth of NOS/used/repro panels only to replace 50-80% of vehicle while still thinking he's keeping the same car, esp the nut cases that want only original or NOS sheetmetal on it in order to convince themselves it's still "factory original"

Then there's the rebody guy, he wants to avoid buying 20+ lbs of mig wire, endless days/months/years in some cases slicing/dicing/grafting/fitting/welding/more grinding/more metal finishing, with paint and body many miles down the road, the money spent on repro/used/NOS panels buys a nice /6, 318 base model, hopefully a southern/west coast rust free roller....  this way it's just disassembly, make any modifications needed, assemble to spec using whats left over from the subject vehicle or vehicles, body prep, paint, on your way to final assembly while the other guys are still slicing/dicing/grafting/grinding/welding/grinding and still spending more time, something you don't get back in any way shape or form...

Then you have the question of the vehicles physical fitness/road worthiness/safety when amateur welders/body men start tackling projects beyond their skill sets, the "rebody guy" hopefully has refurbished his vehicle on a sound rust free roller factory body, thus having that all too important and desired factory welds and assembly fit and finish that all the chop/cut/weld/rebuilders so desire in their finished product.
 ...eventually like the other marques that have long accepted rebodies/restamping/etc/etc early on in the hobby, Mopar owners/enthusiast always being late to the game will one day look back on all this petty rebody banter and laugh.... it will require some aging and time for the so called hobby "purist" to eventually realize that all this dedication to "originality" and doing the "right thing" was just trivial at best...      
Well said :2thumbs:

Challenger340

And here would be just another example of the "motivations" these days to restore or re-body or whatever a guy wants to call it ?

Okie-Dokie then.... $129,000 for a 1968 R/T 440-4 BBL/Auto example.
https://inventory.vanguardmotorsales.com/vehicles/2949/1968-dodge-charger
Only wimps wear Bowties !

VegasCharger

Quote from: Challenger340 on April 08, 2018, 10:38:05 AM
Okie-Dokie then.... $129,000 for a 1968 R/T 440-4 BBL/Auto example.
https://inventory.vanguardmotorsales.com/vehicles/2949/1968-dodge-charger

Yep your typical BS hype video with cheesy heavy metal music and a guy who doesn't know squat about this Charger. Just typical Blah Blah Blah.

"Dome light unusual to be working for the Mopar guys" WTF  :smilielol:

"440, it doesn't get any better than this" How about a 426 Hemi JACKA$$

Y1CHARGER

What a joke, "All numbers matching", but yet the trans has a 1969 VIN on it, they probably don't even know where to find the VIN on the engine, and that a build sheet is needed to prove matching body numbers. 

Ghoste

Is Vanguard just a high end HLPAG perhaps?

Edelbroke

(Not mine) but it kinda fits in here being that vin tag and body could've started out on different bodies... Race car rivets!

https://chicago.craigslist.org/nwi/cto/d/1969-plymouth-road-runner/6533367197.html

Ghoste

David Wise says that 80% of the cars the MMCI group look at have incorrect dash rivets, which seems abnormally high but it still points to a lot of removed dash tags.

charger_fan_4ever

Ah ha

Didnt know GYC was the ones that did the cuda. Thought it was chop rebuild also.

So basically took a bunch of heat over the cuda and didnt want to repeat the same thing with the ravine tona.

Charger-Bodie

Gyc sent it to the amd installation center. Basically amd brought it back to life not gyc
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

DAY CLONA

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on April 16, 2018, 04:28:08 PM
Gyc sent it to the amd installation center. Basically amd brought it back to life not gyc

There wasn't anything left to resurrect, the Cuda yielded a handful (literately) of items to the replacement body, probably less than 5% of the original car, basically generic E body parts, just enough in Worman's eyes to "justify" the VIN swap

DAY CLONA

Quote from: DAY CLONA on April 16, 2018, 05:11:46 PM
Quote from: Charger-Bodie on April 16, 2018, 04:28:08 PM

There wasn't anything left to resurrect, the Cuda yielded a handful (literately) of items to the replacement body, probably less than 5% of the original car, basically generic E body parts, just enough in Worman's eyes to "justify" the VIN swap

Ever notice that when some cable show rebodies/VIN swaps onto a replacement body or donor vehicle, or a big name collector rebodies a vehicle. it all fine and dandy and the crowd applauds the effort, but the average smo does it in his garage and he's "breakin the law"  :scratchchin: :icon_smile_big:

Charger-Bodie

And he built a whole show around the fact that it wasn't going to be rebodied. Then poof it's rebodied and most are fine with it.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Ghoste

Personally, I am a little more put off when a big shop does it than the average guy.

chargervert

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on April 16, 2018, 05:20:43 PM
And he built a whole show around the fact that it wasn't going to be rebodied. Then poof it's rebodied and most are fine with it.

His shop didn't even reconstruct the car,AMDs shop did! His claim to fame is that he saved this car that no one else could!  Total BS!