News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Re-body 1970 v code charger

Started by Bdlakey, April 02, 2018, 12:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: chargervert on April 17, 2018, 11:19:50 AM
Quote from: Charger-Bodie on April 16, 2018, 05:20:43 PM
And he built a whole show around the fact that it wasn't going to be rebodied. Then poof it's rebodied and most are fine with it.

His shop didn't even reconstruct the car,AMDs shop did! His claim to fame is that he saved this car that no one else could!  Total BS!

Exactly!
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

chargervert

If you have ever seen the thread on the f6 green Daytona Charger that was rolled over,the guy who did the metal work on that car was a true craftsman.  My friend Tom from New Jersey used to bring the wrecked Daytona to most of the Mopar shows.  He sold the car to a gentleman from Australia.  The guy who restored the car, straightened all of the wrinkled metal,other than the nose and nosecone, he saved all the original metal, and the car came out amazing!

moparstuart

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on April 17, 2018, 12:13:55 PM
Quote from: chargervert on April 17, 2018, 11:19:50 AM
Quote from: Charger-Bodie on April 16, 2018, 05:20:43 PM
And he built a whole show around the fact that it wasn't going to be rebodied. Then poof it's rebodied and most are fine with it.

His shop didn't even reconstruct the car,AMDs shop did! His claim to fame is that he saved this car that no one else could!  Total BS!

Exactly!
We all know you love him    :nana:
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

moparstuart

Quote from: chargervert on April 17, 2018, 12:58:10 PM
If you have ever seen the thread on the f6 green Daytona Charger that was rolled over,the guy who did the metal work on that car was a true craftsman.  My friend Tom from New Jersey used to bring the wrecked Daytona to most of the Mopar shows.  He sold the car to a gentleman from Australia.  The guy who restored the car, straightened all of the wrinkled metal,other than the nose and nosecone, he saved all the original metal, and the car came out amazing!
True dat  , That guy is a true craftsman and a Master of Metal . Car came out amazing and retains its original metal because of him .    
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Nwcharger

Quote from: moparstuart on April 07, 2018, 11:21:17 AM
Quote from: DAY CLONA on April 06, 2018, 08:12:49 PM
Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on April 06, 2018, 10:37:15 AM

Hats off to the other show was it graveyard cars ? that declined to touch the ravine daytona thats been posted on here. Which is probably noworse than the chop cut rebuild tona.

The "ravine" Tona' was a joke at best, not even a slice of toast from the fragments left, that would have been just a blatant VIN swap (envelope car),
....at least with a rebody, it will utilize 2 or more vehicles in it's reconstruction...

FWIW, the GYC Cuda had pretty much nothing left to start with after it's blown out carcass was stripped, 2 rockers (barely) and an internal roof brace, and a VIN tag...the "rest" of the pieces in the pic of it on the jig is donor rails, braces, A pillars, etc before all AMD's repro metal was added... then walla!...a Chinese rebody appears at GYC's shop and the viewers rejoice over another great accomplishment that "only a few can do".... :icon_smile_big:

Personally I have ZERO issues with a Chinese rebody or in this case basically a replacement body, I just love Wormans ass kissing and blind eye alignment to be part of the anti-rebody crowd...
thats awesome , he's such a fake and a fraud  , go back and watch the first few GYC shows where he talks so much hate on Aftermarket parts and how he is going to save all the body panels on that car .   Watch it now and he uses everything aftermarket .   

The only thing that is a joke is that people like to still talk sh!t about my car, yet can't make a reproduction Daytona trunk hinge that's with two sh!ts  :2thumbs:. Just an FYI mark Wanted 60k to restore the body on the ravine Daytona. I know this because I'm the one who owns the car and brought it to gyc so mark could look at it. I didn't have the money to do it and told mark it would take me 2 years to come up with that kind of cash. A few months later he started his bs about it not being restorable. It will still be restored once my divorce is over with.
1969 coronet wagon

Ghoste

An interesting addition to the story for sure, always good t hear the other side.

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Nwcharger on April 18, 2018, 10:41:04 PM

Hats off to the other show was it graveyard cars ? that declined to touch the ravine daytona thats been posted on here. Which is probably noworse than the chop cut rebuild tona.

The "ravine" Tona' was a joke at best, not even a slice of toast from the fragments left, that would have been just a blatant VIN swap (envelope car),
....at least with a rebody, it will utilize 2 or more vehicles in it's reconstruction...

FWIW, the GYC Cuda had pretty much nothing left to start with after it's blown out carcass was stripped, 2 rockers (barely) and an internal roof brace, and a VIN tag...the "rest" of the pieces in the pic of it on the jig is donor rails, braces, A pillars, etc before all AMD's repro metal was added... then walla!...a Chinese rebody appears at GYC's shop and the viewers rejoice over another great accomplishment that "only a few can do".... :icon_smile_big:

Personally I have ZERO issues with a Chinese rebody or in this case basically a replacement body, I just love Wormans ass kissing and blind eye alignment to be part of the anti-rebody crowd...
thats awesome , he's such a fake and a fraud  , go back and watch the first few GYC shows where he talks so much hate on Aftermarket parts and how he is going to save all the body panels on that car .   Watch it now and he uses everything aftermarket .  

The only thing that is a joke is that people like to still talk sh!t about my car, yet can't make a reproduction Daytona trunk hinge that's with two sh!ts  :2thumbs:. Just an FYI mark Wanted 60k to restore the body on the ravine Daytona. I know this because I'm the one who owns the car and brought it to gyc so mark could look at it. I didn't have the money to do it and told mark it would take me 2 years to come up with that kind of cash. A few months later he started his bs about it not being restorable. It will still be restored once my divorce is over with.

If you would have had full pockets the story would likely be different.

Only a handful of people in the world can have someone rebody a car car on tv and still believe the audience is stupid enough to believe He saved it from that very fate.

It seems that he can only make himself do that for a pile of money though.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

chargervert

Personally, my opinion on cars like the ones being discussed in this thread, need a new way to define them.  While they are just about a complete rebody, they are not putting the numbers on another body.  They could be considered extreme reconstructed cars. If you really care about these cars then you would not want to see another original Daytona dissappear from the face of the earth forever.  I would rather see a car like Ted Stevens Daytona or the ravine Daytona still exist, verses rotting away in a junkyard or at the bottom of a ravine. I think it is a good thing that these cars are being reconstructed verses perishing for ever. They only built 503 of them,there will never be anymore. The people who are willing to go to great lengths to save these cars have my appreciation for the massive amount of work and money they put in to doing so. I know some people who have prime original examples frown on cars like these being extremely reconstructed, mostly because they believe that if there are less of them left their original examples will be worth more money.  As far as wingcars are concerned they have already far exceeded what I ever thought they would be worth.  Most enthusiasts are already priced out of the wingcar market. The people who are doing these extreme reconstructed cars are doing it openly, so I believe that the market will determine their, and place in the hobby /market place.  Anyone who puchases any wingcar and does not do their homework to see that the car is a survivor, has undergone a restoration, or has had an extreme reconstruction will pay the price for not doing so. The wingcars are probably the most documented Mopars, by the enthusiasts then just about any other Mopar period.  I think these extreme reconstructed cars have a place in the hobby, it just needs to be defined.  The fact that they car and are being saved, and there are parts available to do so is amazing.  As the cars get restored the cars that are yet to be restored are worse in condition.  The  fact that just a few years ago they were deemed unsalvageable,and are being salvaged is a good thing in my opinion.

alfaitalia

"The people who are willing to go to great lengths to save these cars"

That's the whole point. They are NOT SAVING THEM....they are building a near new car that looks like it with the same numbers!! Its not a saved car....its a copy (I prefer forgery!) of the original car.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

chargervert

They may be a copy, but the term re body really don't fit. As more and more cars get restored, what is left to pick from is getting worse, cars that would not have been reconstructed are now being reconstructed.  It is what it is! That is reality. The point of this thread is to determine what their place is in the hobby. Cars like Ted Stevens Daytona, or the XP Hemi,or the Phantom Cuda exist they can be viewed,and driven,so like it or not they are here! When a 71 Hemi Cuda convertible that was built from a cowl,is bought by Craig Jackson, and resold for 1.3 million dollars, they are here,they exist, and have some value.

Lennard

Chargervert, I would just agree to disagree with alfaitalia if I were you because you'll be debating this with him for the next 5 pages.

chargervert

I hear you, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  But the fact is that more and more of these reconstructed Mopars are showing up on the scene.  The aftermarket has made it possible to reconstruct almost any car. My current 70 Charger  Daytona stock car project is very liberating, it is not a part of racing history, it is not one of the original 503 Daytona's it is not a collectible vehicle, so I have complete freedom to take the car and build it anyway I choose to do so. No one is putting it in their registries or database, and nobody cares what it is worth!

charger_fan_4ever

thats awesome , he's such a fake and a fraud  , go back and watch the first few GYC shows where he talks so much hate on Aftermarket parts and how he is going to save all the body panels on that car .   Watch it now and he uses everything aftermarket .   

The only thing that is a joke is that people like to still talk sh!t about my car, yet can't make a reproduction Daytona trunk hinge that's with two sh!ts  :2thumbs:. Just an FYI mark Wanted 60k to restore the body on the ravine Daytona. I know this because I'm the one who owns the car and brought it to gyc so mark could look at it. I didn't have the money to do it and told mark it would take me 2 years to come up with that kind of cash. A few months later he started his bs about it not being restorable. It will still be restored once my divorce is over with.

60k painted out the door ? or just to do the shell ? i assume just the shell ???

Interesting how was portrayed he just saw pics that were sent. Forgot to mention it was at the shop.......

alfaitalia

Quote from: chargervert on April 20, 2018, 10:35:30 AM
I hear you, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.  But the fact is that more and more of these reconstructed Mopars are showing up on the scene.  The aftermarket has made it possible to reconstruct almost any car. My current 70 Charger  Daytona stock car project is very liberating, it is not a part of racing history, it is not one of the original 503 Daytona's it is not a collectible vehicle, so I have complete freedom to take the car and build it anyway I choose to do so. No one is putting it in their registries or database, and nobody cares what it is worth!

Good post. I'm in a similar position. My car has no numbers at all, no fender tag or build sheet.....so I could not do a factory type resto even if I wanted. All I know is that is came with a disassembled (and now gone) 318...and even that was not the original! My current engine (still not complete) is erm..somewhat larger than that! It looks to have all the original panels apart from my patches...which I like. That fact enables me to register is as a 69 and and have an age related number plate.....a plate ending in G in the UK. A car with no numbers and obviously lots of new panels would struggle to get an age related plate...and probably end up with a number plate starting in Q ...which is not nice. Any one who knows anything knows your car is not original and probably constructed from either lots of new parts or used parts from several cars....I don't want to be seen in a Q plate Charger! Plates in the UK live with the car (not the owner) forever so there will be no hiding that cars history from future owners. Long post but hopefully it explains why us Brits like to actually restore rather than recreate a car. I won't say anything else in this thread...honest!

DAY CLONA

Quote from: alfaitalia on April 20, 2018, 01:41:24 AM
....they are building a near new car that looks like it with the same numbers!!

Potato-potatoe... so is the guy that takes his rotted turd, buys tons of "original" used, NOS sheetmetal, or even a donor car for it's "originality", and surgically replaces frame rails, fenders, doors, qtrs, rockers, trunk lid/floor, etc, etc, around his "floating/hovering" VIN tag and after months/years,decades, and a 100 lbs of mig wire proudly proclaims how his car is still all "original" and how he "saved it"....

Years (decades) from now no one will really care how the car was resurrected/rebodied/replicated/etc...

How much "originality" you think is left on these rolling AMD "reconstructed" examples?.... again, years from now, no one will really care...

Challenger340

I think it's pretty easy for anyone to tell the difference between "original"....... and "restored/rebuilt/replaced" if they really wanted to ?.... or cared ?
But that's the kicker because in 15-20 years nobody will care !

just say'in.... and in my experience anyways,
there are always small differences, but becoming more common as time goes by, mistakes/differences that can be found between "original" and "restored" if you look hard enough ?
But who cares !

Only wimps wear Bowties !

chargervert

These cars are here,and it is happening now. If it matters to the buyer then they better do their homework. To those that don't care some of the qualilty control done on these extreme restorations may actually be better than they were back in the day when they were just another days work in the mass production market!

Kern Dog

Quote from: Lennard on April 20, 2018, 09:45:21 AM
Chargervert, I would just agree to disagree with alfaitalia if I were you because you'll be debating this with him for the next 5 pages.
That is funny.   :2thumbs:

cbrestorations

i have 3 r/ts ill be rebodying with donors, one of the donors I still have to replace the whole back half including frame rails with AMD. So that car will be half rebody, half Chinese metal and half original parts...kinda like man/bear/pig.
No one cares about an all original 318 charger, that's not what made these cars famous. I have zero problem with tossing the history of the 318 car away to preserve the history of the badass ones.

alfaitalia

Quote from: Kern Dog on April 20, 2018, 06:05:34 PM
Quote from: Lennard on April 20, 2018, 09:45:21 AM
That is funny.   :2thumbs:

Lol....of course KD NEVER argues with anyone! Ha ha! Nothing wrong with a different view point from someone else. What good debate is all about. Yes, before anyone say, I said I was out...but this is not thread subject related....I'm gone now!

Lennard

In a good debate, different participants come up with new and valid arguments. You just keep repeating the same statement.
I never said that you should stop replying in this thread... that's your decision.

Nwcharger

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on April 20, 2018, 11:41:54 AM

60k painted out the door ? or just to do the shell ? i assume just the shell ???

Interesting how was portrayed he just saw pics that were sent. Forgot to mention it was at the shop.......

60k for just the shell, I'm glad I couldn't afford to do it then. I'd probably not be happy with the finished product. It was kinda funny watching his expression change when I told him that I'm a working man and 60k is not just something I have, I mean just one look at me and anyone would know I don't have that kind of money.
1969 coronet wagon

chargervert

To build your Daytona from what you have,you need to build a jig,using an undamaged Charger. Then take what you have to work with and make it fit the jig, Then get your AMD catalog out and start ordering parts,then start welding. You could probably build the body yourself for half of what Mark wanted.