News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Re-body 1970 v code charger

Started by Bdlakey, April 02, 2018, 12:39:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfaitalia

Quote from: Bdlakey on April 02, 2018, 04:55:47 PM
I just want to save a car that they do not build anymore and that was a low production number to start with. I own a restoration shop so using it threw the state patrol they told me i could retain by original vin but I have to have both cars inspected before and after. I'm sure it's going to be a big pain but worth it for me

...and there is the thing...copying it is NOT saving it. If I cloned my dead Grandfather....it would look like him....but it would not be him and he would still be as dead as that car.

...... So I'll just stick to cloning super models from the hair I clip from them while they sleep........)...........insert evil laugh here!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

69CoronetRT

I just want to save a car that they do not build anymore and that was a low production number to start with. I own a restoration shop so using it threw the state patrol they told me i could retain by original vin but I have to have both cars inspected before and after. I'm sure it's going to be a big pain but worth it for me

Ask yourself.....knowing the car was a rebody would you buy it?

Moving VINs is not saving anything.
They can't all be saved.

Rationalizating and justifying is a waste of time.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Lennard

Quote from: moparstuart on April 02, 2018, 04:59:07 PM
any way you do it its still going to be a rebody and will alway be worth less in most peoples eyes .
Who cares?!  It's his car...If he thinks it's worth it, that's all that matters.

Alaskan_TA

Lennard

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on April 02, 2018, 08:42:44 PM
Quote from: Lennard on April 02, 2018, 07:45:19 PM
Who cares?! 

Based on the replies, some of us care.
So some of you guys care that his car will be worth less in most peoples eyes .  :violin:

69CoronetRT

Quote from: Lennard on April 02, 2018, 09:06:43 PM
Quote from: Alaskan_TA on April 02, 2018, 08:42:44 PM
Quote from: Lennard on April 02, 2018, 07:45:19 PM
Who cares?! 

Based on the replies, some of us care.
So some of you guys care that his car will be worth less in most peoples eyes .  :violin:

Some care that reboding cars/VIN swapping is wrong.

I've never heard anyone that bought a rebody brag about paying full price for a fake car.
Seeking information on '69 St. Louis plant VINs, SPDs and VONs. Buld sheets and tag pictures appreciated. Over 3,000 on file thanks to people like you.

Lennard

:blahblah: You're changing the subject. Moparstuart said that if the o.p. is going to rebody a car, it will always be worth less money in most peoples eyes . Who gives a sh!t what other people think his car, my car, your car, any car is worth?! That's nobody's but the car owner's business.

sccachallenger

On the one hand, these cars all rolled down the same assembly lines.
And I understand that you would inform the person you sold the car to as to the re-body or major parts replacement.
Who's to say they will be so honest when they tire of the car?
I vote no!

Lennard

Quote from: sccachallenger on April 02, 2018, 09:27:26 PM
On the one hand, these cars all rolled down the same assembly lines.
And I understand that you would inform the person you sold the car to as to the re-body or major parts replacement.
Who's to say they will be so honest when they tire of the car?
I vote no!
He didn't ask for your vote or anyone's vote. There is no poll added to this topic.    :image_294343:
He's asking for thoughts.

Kern Dog

It looks to me like he did. If not, what was the purpose of asking about it on a worldwide forum?
Most of the people that do these rebodies play it off as if they are doing no harm. Maybe there are some that truly mean it. Greed does have a way of swaying opinions though. Also, a very strong point is when the car is sold later.
I'll never sell it.
Yeah, sure. People die. People change their minds. People get caught molesting a goat and go to jail.....and the car gets sold. The next guy may not have the same moral character. Poof! A scam is in the works!

cbrestorations

Fuck it, build it...let the 318 car die and keep the v code alive. Those guys who buy over 10k in metal to fix what they have, that is a Chinese rebody don't care what u say...most of that car was built in China. If I use some of the original metal on the new donor body...boom same damn thing but at least mine is chrysler metal

Kern Dog

This isn't just an issue of being a purist, it is a matter of the law.

cbrestorations

It's not illegal for restoration if both titles are in ur name. The law was made to prevent re-vining a stolen car.

69CoronetRT

Quote from: cbrestorations on April 02, 2018, 11:01:51 PM
It's not illegal for restoration if both titles are in ur name. The law was made to prevent re-vining a stolen car.

Links to applicable state and federal codes to set us straight?

cbrestorations

Hell I've post those damn forms on here before whenever this issue comes up. I'm on the road with my phone so I am not doing it right now. It was a DMV form that allowed removal of body vins with a Before inspection and after completion inspection of restoration. It is a restoration clause

cbrestorations

U can literally build a car with just a core support, trunk gutter and vin tag. Weld those panels to a 4 door satellite donor with a charger roof and blamo restored

VegasCharger

alfaitalia

Quote from: Kern Dog on April 02, 2018, 09:52:07 PM
It looks to me like he did. If not, what was the purpose of asking about it on a worldwide forum?
Most of the people that do these rebodies play it off as if they are doing no harm. Maybe there are some that truly mean it. Greed does have a way of swaying opinions though. Also, a very strong point is when the car is sold later.
I'll never sell it.
Yeah, sure. People die. People change their minds. People get caught molesting a goat and go to jail.....and the car gets sold. The next guy may not have the same moral character. Poof! A scam is in the works!

....what you mean its illegal with goats too ?.......dam! Where's that chicken ?

....exactly. I cant see how, in the future, this car would not be tried to pass off as the real thing...and if sold to a non expert...like me!...they could easily get a way with it. Are all the people saying its OK happy with that? And to all you rare car collectors....how would you like to find out that you real cars aint so real. I can guarantee that at least a few of you have "real" Hemi cars or "real" V code cars etc etc that are not real....you have just not found out yet. There must be some by virue of the members happy to build them!! And pride would probably stop you admitting it if you did find out you had a ringer. Even if you live somewhere its legal (which I doubt)....its still morally wrong.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Mopar Nut

Quote from: cbrestorations on April 02, 2018, 11:18:36 PM
U can literally build a car with just a core support, trunk gutter and vin tag. Weld those panels to a 4 door satellite donor with a charger roof and blamo restored

Like this one?   :icon_smile_big:
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

cbrestorations

Yup that one too...I'm very open about what I do, that car however...it was $200 for just the front frame rails I need to fix my car or $250 for the whole thing plus tax. Guess which deal I took lol. Cheapest 69 r/t vin tag I've ever bought though 😁

Mopar Nut

http://www.dmvnv.com/salvage.htm

So don't buy a car from Nevada!

Chris you don't plan on selling it anyway right?
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

cbrestorations

Quote from: Mopar Nut on April 03, 2018, 03:58:03 AM

Chris don't plan on selling it anyway right?

That's not the correct link, it's an actual classic car restoration clause from Nevada DMV.
Nope no plans to really sell any of my cars unless someone offers me a not for sale price. I'm gonna be that old fuck with a lot of chargers on his property. Why...because I can. You guys will really like my new project where I'm dropping a 68 charger body on a NASCAR chassis with a chevy race motor and still using the 68 charger vin to register. I love Nevada and it's DMV laws 😝😝😝😝.

Y1CHARGER

Quote from: cbrestorations on April 03, 2018, 04:43:11 AM

That's not the correct link, it's an actual classic car restoration clause from Nevada DMV.
Nope no plans to really sell any of my cars unless someone offers me a not for sale price. I'm gonna be that old fuck with a lot of chargers on his property. Why...because I can. You guys will really like my new project where I'm dropping a 68 charger body on a NASCAR chassis with a chevy race motor and still using the 68 charger vin to register. I love Nevada and it's DMV laws 😝😝😝😝.
I think the part you love about Nevada and it's DMV laws are that you don't know how to read and comprehend them, also Federal laws take precedence over state laws. 

Lennard

So you're questioning my friend's intelligence.  :popcrn:

cbrestorations

Quote from: Y1CHARGER on April 03, 2018, 07:07:29 AM
Quote from: cbrestorations on April 03, 2018, 04:43:11 AM

I think the part you love about Nevada and it's DMV laws are that you don't know how to read and comprehend them, also Federal laws take precedence over state laws. 

Im a racer, we built racecars by the grey area in the rule book. I found the grey area in the DMV and take advantage of it 😁. Especially putting a charger body on a tube chassis racecar and registered as a charger. 100 percent legal and could build that bitch in front of the courthouse