News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Importing a charger quotes to Australia

Started by jefferson, April 02, 2018, 06:50:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jefferson

Hey guys, been in touch with a few companies within australia that import US cars. As you know, ive been in the market for a dodge charger, but coming across one in Australia is very hard.
Anyway basically, to have a 68 landed here in good condition is 80k AUD and a 70 is 66k, now this is what one company quoted me. The US purchase price of the 68 is 48k and the 70 is 37k . Does that seem like it would get a good condition one over in the states? Are those prices fair or am i getting ripped off? I have no idea on the condition of the car as they get shown if i agree with the company to go through with importing me one.

jefferson

I must add though, lets work on the assumption those are for good chargers in good condition, minimal if any rust, basically driveable with a bit of work because i did mention that. So lets work off that.
I know its hard to give a price because we have no idea on the condition or what the car is like but im just going to assume as i stated that the chargers are of good nik.

euroZ06

you can get a decent 68-70 for 40-50k. 70 is the cheapest of the 3... 68 and 69 seem to be on par with each other price wise. If its a good car, $48 for 68 seems reasonable, but you really need to know a lot more about the car, such as how original it is (is the engine original?). Big block 68 in good condition would be around 48, small block would be about $10k less. Engine swapped would be in between those two numbers.
68 charger, 383, 727, 3.55

jefferson

Thanks for the reply mate, yea basically going in blind, you pay the import car company to find you a car, they have buyers over there in the US that find you one, send you photos and apparently negotiate on a price, and you pay them a service fee, then all the government fees and taxes you get slammed with here in AUS on importing one. So it could be cheaper than 48k or could be more, thats just an estimate. Not sure they would really tell you if they got the car cheaper though if they got it down for say what they tell you 48k to 30 or something ? Who knows. Seems like a lot of work getting a charger over here to Australia.

pipeliner

Quote from: euroZ06 on April 02, 2018, 08:49:40 AM
you can get a decent 68-70 for 40-50k. 70 is the cheapest of the 3... 68 and 69 seem to be on par with each other price wise. If its a good car, $48 for 68 seems reasonable, but you really need to know a lot more about the car, such as how original it is (is the engine original?). Big block 68 in good condition would be around 48, small block would be about $10k less. Engine swapped would be in between those two numbers.
Maybe 20 years ago. I've seen a lot of 70,s lately bringing more than the 68 and 69,s.

Lennard

euroZ06

Quote from: pipeliner on April 02, 2018, 09:05:46 AM
Maybe 20 years ago. I've seen a lot of 70,s lately bringing more than the 68 and 69,s.

not really... identical state on cars, 68 and 69 will bring in more. mint 68 rt would be more than 70rt, but that's not to say the said 70 rt that is in better condition than a 68 rt wouldn't be more.

BigCE

Seems pretty expensive I dunno though. 40k US should buy you a damn nice charger IMO maybe not numbers matching rare RT or anything but should buy you a very nice clone restoration.

I would sell my 70 for 30US in a heart beat. Its a 1 repaint all original sheet metal near zero rust California 318 car. I'm helping a buddy fix up a 69 Charger right now and I know he would part with it for 25K or less and its a decent driver, has had quarters at some point but its a good 20 footer, solid car for sure.

Neither of these cars are officially for sale but just giving you an idea of what kind of car you should be expecting for the money.

euroZ06

Quote from: BigCE on April 02, 2018, 12:40:10 PM
Seems pretty expensive I dunno though. 40k US should buy you a damn nice charger IMO maybe not numbers matching rare RT or anything but should buy you a very nice clone restoration.

I would sell my 70 for 30US in a heart beat. Its a 1 repaint all original sheet metal near zero rust California 318 car. I'm helping a buddy fix up a 69 Charger right now and I know he would part with it for 25K or less and its a decent driver, has had quarters at some point but its a good 20 footer, solid car for sure.

Neither of these cars are officially for sale but just giving you an idea of what kind of car you should be expecting for the money.

that's really if your buddy would sell his 69 for $25k. For $25k ive seen complete rust buckets, or needs a complete mechanical overhaul or in the middle of a project with no end in sight. 

A12 Superbee

Its simple arithmetic, Purchase price in US dollars, converted to Aus dollars, add 10% GST onto that and allow about $5000 AU for all shipping and that will get you your total. When I bought my Superbee, it cost me $51K US to buy, the dollar was at $1.03 and it landed in Australia for around $61K AU total. That was for a nice, polder resto genuine A12 but I was really after a Charger. :scratchchin:

A12 Dodge Superbee Coupe 4 speed Car number 157 in the A12 Registry.
XBGT Ford Falcon sedan, same model as Max drives in The Roadwarrior, the yellow car he starts off in.
WANT: Triple black 68 or 70 Charger!

jefferson

Thanks for the replies guys, seems prices are firm and above 60k for a 68-70 charger, 66k for a decent 70 may not seem to bad considering the prices have skyrocketed the last few years for them.

Was a tad outta my budget but may seem to be what it is now days.

Any other aussie members here import or own a charger? Would love there opinion also

G-man

Quote from: jefferson on April 02, 2018, 11:43:33 PM
Thanks for the replies guys, seems prices are firm and above 60k for a 68-70 charger, 66k for a decent 70 may not seem to bad considering the prices have skyrocketed the last few years for them.

Was a tad outta my budget but may seem to be what it is now days.

Any other aussie members here import or own a charger? Would love there opinion also

You should be able to find a nice 70 Charger without rust for 35-40k max. If 40k, convert that to AU and your roughly gonna be at 55,000 now.

Boat from LA to Australia, $4000 +/- with insurance. Call it 60,000 for simple math (you might get 1-1.5k return out of it)...

You could be up for roughly 1200-1500 for a truck to drive it to LA if its somewhere towards the east coast.

When it lands in AU, you will be hit by our retarded tax for bringing the car in, which is gonna be on that another good $6000.

So whatever car is, you can add another good 15k to bringing it here + tax.

When I was getting chargers for 20-25k US, it translated to just under 30,000 AU, and it still ended up about 37,000-38,000 (10,000 on top for shipping etc).

The shipping should still be same but the tax will be double being double on the car.

So anyway, if the cars gonna be $55,000 converted... plan $70,000 to get it here.

And theres something severely wrong if you cant get a rust free, turn key driver for that kind of money.

jefferson

Thanks for the reply man. Yea starting to realise 60_70k be minimum for a good driver imported here. More than I expected tbh. 45k would be ideal 50 at the most. But can see that's not going to happen haha

A12 Superbee

Its still a better plan than buying one that's already here. The prices being asked, but I highly doubt achieved, for 68-70 Chargers here in Australia are pure fantasy, it blows my mind the asking prices, I have no idea what they are basing them on, probably buyers laziness and stupidity.

Import your Charger, do it, you're a long time dead and they will only go up, live life, enjoy it!

PS: I don't like 69's either, it's a 68 or a 70 Charger for me, Dodge only made two cars that looked good in 69, Daytona's and A12 Superbee's!
A12 Dodge Superbee Coupe 4 speed Car number 157 in the A12 Registry.
XBGT Ford Falcon sedan, same model as Max drives in The Roadwarrior, the yellow car he starts off in.
WANT: Triple black 68 or 70 Charger!

pipeliner

Quote from: euroZ06 on April 02, 2018, 10:05:50 AM

not really... identical state on cars, 68 and 69 will bring in more. mint 68 rt would be more than 70rt, but that's not to say the said 70 rt that is in better condition than a 68 rt wouldn't be more.

pipeliner

Quote from: euroZ06 on April 02, 2018, 10:05:50 AM

No they won't, I don't know you're getting info from but that's BS!  We just saw at the last BJ auction a 70 V-code brought way more than any other Charger there. They were probably like me when I bought my 70. I raised up the hood on a 68 Charger and seen that horrible looking torqouise motor and thought puke and then I opened the door to the 68 and saw the horrible interior it had and then I started to compare it to the 70 right beside it and it high back bucket seats, woodgrain interior, a pistol grip and a Hemi orange 440 setting in the engine bay I knew I had to have it. Never did like those vette taillights in the 68 either. I like em all but to say one bringing more than the other these days is just Bull $hit.

G-man

If anything, if there was a difference, which seems there isn't... the 70 charger would demand more money than the other 2 models. Why?

2 reasons.

1: Fast furious franchise has made chargers go up in price in general, but it is a 1970 Charger that is the star of the film.

2: The main reason I believe is that there was only 45000-50,000 1970 Chargers built while they built over 90,000 68s and over 90,000 69s. So the sheer fact they are rarer could demand more money as well. Generally however from my observation over the years, whatever condition car you can buy a 68 for, it is the same for 69 and 70.

Maybe however there is just less bad 70s around so you don't get them in the 'cheaper price' as much as you do the other 2 which could make it look like they are worth more. :shruggy:

I also agree buying in Australia is hilarious. I looked on carsales and places... like 200k? Yeah ok buddy, rather buy a new Ferrari than your rust can for that thanks. Drop it by $150,000 and I will considering looking.

So yeah, keep looking but make sure you import it yourself, people in Au are jokers when it comes to selling stuff.

RECHRGD

Last year I was communicating with an Australian about my car.  With all the expenses already listed, he was going to travel over here to see my car and a couple of others.  The cost of travel, on top of everything else pushed the costs over the top.  I was firm at 40K US.  He ended up buying a '68 R/T clone over there for just under 100K AU.  It was a nice car, but still had a few "issues". 
13.53 @ 105.32

Lennard

Some people got butt hurt in this thread.  :lol:

RECHRGD

Quote from: Lennard on April 04, 2018, 01:22:31 PM
Some people got butt hurt in this thread.  :lol:

Yes, obviously!  All three years are great cars and will bring similar dollars depending upon condition, model and buyer personal preference.  At least I now know how ugly my engine, interior and taillights are.... :rofl:
13.53 @ 105.32

jefferson

Yea i agree, the prices are thru the roof, almost on par with a damn house deposit in this country now!

Been in contact with a few import places, some cheaper by almost 20k as they believe they can buy a charger for a lot less than what other car import companies quote me.

I guess it just depends where abouts in the states and how much the owner is willing to let one go for. be it 30k or 50k and how the negotiatons come about.

The prices of ones over here are absurd 35k for rust buckets, 22k for a shell on wheels lol and 70k plus for ones that are drivers.

alfaitalia

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

VegasCharger

Quote from: RECHRGD on April 04, 2018, 01:55:32 PM
.....At least I now know how ugly my engine, interior and taillights are.... :rofl:

Yep right there with you with our gross looking 68 Chargers.  :smilielol:

At least 68s didn't hide the door scallops with the R/T scoops, WTF?

And that 70 front bumper, need I say more?

WOW turquoise blue engines offensive??

Again :smilielol: :smilielol: :smilielol:

:cheers:

jefferson

Well im just waiting to hear back from a few car import places and what they can come up with charger wise at the right price and may have something this year.

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: jefferson on April 02, 2018, 08:54:38 AM
Thanks for the reply mate, yea basically going in blind, you pay the import car company to find you a car, they have buyers over there in the US that find you one, send you photos and apparently negotiate on a price, and you pay them a service fee, then all the government fees and taxes you get slammed with here in AUS on importing one. So it could be cheaper than 48k or could be more, thats just an estimate. Not sure they would really tell you if they got the car cheaper though if they got it down for say what they tell you 48k to 30 or something ? Who knows. Seems like a lot of work getting a charger over here to Australia.

Sounds like a great plan, what could possibly go wrong?  :popcrn:

Challenger340

Quote from: jefferson on April 05, 2018, 06:18:26 AM
Well im just waiting to hear back from a few car import places and what they can come up with charger wise at the right price and may have something this year.

I understand your situation, long ways away, foreign country, export, import and on and on.

But I still think you may be better off dealing privately with a Seller ?
Get them to help you with shipping arrangements, pay them fairly, etc. Not everyone is a crook, deadbeat, or otherwise looking to screw somebody, PLENTY of good people around and here on this site,   Take your time, research, lots of pictures/Video options, skype, whatever it takes up to and including even plane fare to go take a 'boo in person and complete the transaction.

What are the names of some of the Car Import "Businesses" you are dealing with ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Lennard

moparstuart

Quote from: Lennard on April 07, 2018, 11:39:21 AM
Lots of people find and import their own car. Who dares... wins.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jNUs4VFDgYQ

I have sold a couple cars to Germany , it was very simple on my end   .  They take all the risk for sure .  Has to be very tough to wait and see on there end .  
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Lennard

It IS a big risk to send your hard earned money to someone on the other side of the world that you don't know.

Reezee

It is! As I said in my video; I was scared to death. You try to do it as safe as possible, check out the buyer online, get as much info as possible up front. But at the end of the day, it's your money leaving your bank account!

There are some escrow services and some shipping companies that will pay on pick up. But being overseas, it might be hard to convince the seller to agree to those types of deals. Nothing beats cash and a trailer ;).
Thinker of thoughts such as: "What have I gotten myself into" & "This car is going to be so awesome when it's done"

Follow my restoration on:
YouTube under Richard's Resto
Facebook.com/MoparRichard
Instagram.com/MoparsInEurope

G-man

Quote from: VegasCharger on April 05, 2018, 05:08:39 AM
.....At least I now know how ugly my engine, interior and taillights are.... :rofl:

What about the bumper at the front on the 70? It actually gives the car a little 'rounded off' look at the front which suits the headlights perfectly. The 68 Charger with is square nose looks dodgy when the headlights are visible. I used to love 68s but the 70s with the rounded off look due to that wrap around bumper actually look more like a beast/muscle while the 68 looks a bit more classic like, not as aggressive.

And why on earth did 68s use corvette tail lights?  That was the only thing I never liked about 68s. Rear end looks weird and incomplete.

Given, the 70 needs the inside of the front grill painted black, otherwise, it looks like a fish. Once that is painted, so no line in it... it is the most aggressive looking charger made.

Lennard

alfaitalia

Hmmm...I think most would say the 68 is the most aggressive Charger design in a choice between a 68,69 or 70....and no I don't own a 68. To my mind the 70 is least aggressively styled of the three. Each to their own of course...if everyone thought the obviously best looking one was their favorite there would be no 69s left for the rest of us...lol!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

G-man

Quote from: alfaitalia on April 08, 2018, 07:06:15 AM
Hmmm...I think most would say the 68 is the most aggressive Charger design in a choice between a 68,69 or 70....and no I don't own a 68. To my mind the 70 is least aggressively styled of the three. Each to their own of course...if everyone thought the obviously best looking one was their favorite there would be no 69s left for the rest of us...lol!

Eh, maybe peopl see things differently. I looked at the fast n furious black 70 charger in video, (not the movie, just a done up car the same) and then compared it to a done up, blown 68 charger, also had blower out the hood etc... and the 68 just doesn't look right, too flat in the front while the 70 with that slight rounded off look makes it work perfect. Look at my avatar... no 68 is gonna look like that.

Commtech

Quote from: G-man on April 07, 2018, 07:58:10 PM
Quote from: VegasCharger on April 05, 2018, 05:08:39 AM

What about the bumper at the front on the 70? It actually gives the car a little 'rounded off' look at the front which suits the headlights perfectly. The 68 Charger with is square nose looks dodgy when the headlights are visible. I used to love 68s but the 70s with the rounded off look due to that wrap around bumper actually look more like a beast/muscle while the 68 looks a bit more classic like, not as aggressive.

And why on earth did 68s use corvette tail lights?  That was the only thing I never liked about 68s. Rear end looks weird and incomplete.

Given, the 70 needs the inside of the front grill painted black, otherwise, it looks like a fish. Once that is painted, so no line in it... it is the most aggressive looking charger made.

The 70's front bumper is my favorite out all 3 years. As you pointed out, it is the most aggressive looking front and it is what made me decide to choose that particular year.  I also don't understand Dodge's decision to put those corvette tail lights. To me, they have nothing to do with the rest of the design.

ht4spd307

jefferson

Hey guys, ive been in contact with a bloke in Arizona who is selling a nice clean looking 69 and negotiated for a price im happy with. Hes going to send me more photos and videos of the car running/driving etc, Im well aware it could not be what it appears to be, but then again it could be.

Now just have to go with a car import  company that has contacts over in the US who can arrange to have the car imported for me. Hope all goes to plan. See what happens.

VegasCharger

Quote from: jefferson on April 11, 2018, 12:53:24 AM
Hey guys, ive been in contact with a bloke in Arizona who is selling a nice clean looking 69 and negotiated for a price im happy with. Hes going to send me more photos and videos of the car running/driving etc, Im well aware it could not be what it appears to be, but then again it could be.

Now just have to go with a car import  company that has contacts over in the US who can arrange to have the car imported for me. Hope all goes to plan. See what happens.

Good luck , I hope it turns out well.  :cheers:

jefferson

Thanks mate.

MY only issue is its $$ after $$ after $$ lol.

But hey ,can always make more money right? haha.

socalcharger

jefferson

Decided against it. Was just extremely difficult trying to buy something going in blind. Ill wait till something pops up within Australia, or let others import and buy from them, still a fair few amount of people importing and reselling so ill just wait.

TPR

1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

Laxy

Jefferson, out of interest a mate's very nice 440 '69 General Lee clone here in Perth has just sold for A$70k. I think I heard it's going to Queensland.

Another mate (forum member here) has an extremely mint orange '69 383 Charger that I saw him offer up at around A$70-$75k a couple of months ago - not sure if he still wants to sell but could be an option? Whereabouts are you again?

The decent Mopars over here only seem to come up on the buy/sell Facebook groups lately.

Personally I would shy away from recruiting someone to buy you a car, too many unknowns. Just keep putting in the time yourself, cars will come up in your range both here and in the US. Enjoy the search, no need to rush it.

I think everyone has covered off on the import charges already, mine cost US$15k in 2008 as a basic 383 driver, dollar at $0.92, trucked to LA docks and shipped to Melbourne, cost me A$21k landed. Was super fucking happy with that, long time ago now though!
71 Valiant VH Hardtop 265 Hemi 4-speed, 71 VH Valiant Charger R/T Replica 360 4-speed, 68 Dodge Charger 440/727.

TPR

A bloke brought this to my attention today.
A genuine R/T column shift car.
A Shannons auction est price $50k to $60k.
Seems reasonable, but who knows what it will actually sell for:

https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/2018-shannons-melbourne-autumn-classic-auction/C62FB5H1341CE8MD/

TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

Laxy

Quote from: TPR on April 18, 2018, 04:18:31 AM
A bloke brought this to my attention today.
A genuine R/T column shift car.
A Shannons auction est price $50k to $60k.
Seems reasonable, but who knows what it will actually sell for:

https://www.shannons.com.au/auctions/2018-shannons-melbourne-autumn-classic-auction/C62FB5H1341CE8MD/

TPR

Ooooh nice. Bit rough around the edges but if you score it for $50k you'd be doing well. Very, very similar to my car in specs and condition except an R/T.
71 Valiant VH Hardtop 265 Hemi 4-speed, 71 VH Valiant Charger R/T Replica 360 4-speed, 68 Dodge Charger 440/727.

jefferson

Hahaha i actually had my eye on that shannons auction and was ready to bid come the 30th hahaha.

jefferson

Quote from: Laxy on April 18, 2018, 04:07:56 AM
Jefferson, out of interest a mate's very nice 440 '69 General Lee clone here in Perth has just sold for A$70k. I think I heard it's going to Queensland.

Another mate (forum member here) has an extremely mint orange '69 383 Charger that I saw him offer up at around A$70-$75k a couple of months ago - not sure if he still wants to sell but could be an option? Whereabouts are you again?

The decent Mopars over here only seem to come up on the buy/sell Facebook groups lately.

Personally I would shy away from recruiting someone to buy you a car, too many unknowns. Just keep putting in the time yourself, cars will come up in your range both here and in the US. Enjoy the search, no need to rush it.

I think everyone has covered off on the import charges already, mine cost US$15k in 2008 as a basic 383 driver, dollar at $0.92, trucked to LA docks and shipped to Melbourne, cost me A$21k landed. Was super fucking happy with that, long time ago now though!

Wow id be raped scoring at 21k mate, bet you were happy, good on you. Dollar is average now so a lot more expensive haha.

Im in victoria mate. Yep ive added myself lately to a few mopar groups on facebook, seen a few pop up here and there, but mostly shells or full restos which doesnt interest me, passed up on that a while ago.

Which member was that that had the 69 mate? If you can locate him, let me know. Id be happy to have a chat if he still has the 69 for sale.

Edelbroke

jefferson

Quote from: Edelbroke on April 19, 2018, 06:48:02 AM
Not mine ---Nice 69 Charger RT for 40K
https://www.facebook.com/groups/MOPARSUNLIMITED/?multi_permalinks=1888027931232072&notif_id=1524138274875034&notif_t=commerce_interesting_product&ref=notif

Not sure if that link transferred but its on the facebook "Mopars Unlimited" page

Saw that mate, i think im just trying now to buy something already in the country not have it imported in, lot less hassle.

Do we have a lot of Aussie members on this forum? Ive seen a few chime in.