News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Winch wiring

Started by RECHRGD, April 02, 2018, 05:19:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

I'm getting a winch setup for my old 2004 Ram 2500 Cummins.  It will be mounted on the rear receiver hitch when I need it.  I'm running the cable from the battery back to a quick disconnect plug close to the hitch.  Being that the truck has two batteries, can I simply tap both the positive and negative wires from one battery?  I don't really see any need to isolate one from the other while winching. 
13.53 @ 105.32

69rtse4spd

I would say just one battery should do it. I did my 88 Chevy the same way, only one battery, & just put a jumper type clap on the 2/0 wire so I can clamp on the battery. Will be doing the same on the 2000 dump for the winch on the equipment trailer. I am by far no expert so others that are might want to chime in.

RECHRGD

Quote from: 69rtse4spd on April 02, 2018, 06:22:17 PM
I would say just one battery should do it. I did my 88 Chevy the same way, only one battery, & just put a jumper type clap on the 2/0 wire so I can clamp on the battery. Will be doing the same on the 2000 dump for the winch on the equipment trailer. I am by far no expert so others that are might want to chime in.

The batteries are connected in parallel, so tying into one will utilize the added capacity of the second one.  Just wondering with all the smart stuff going on in vehicles today (even 2004) I just wanted to check.......
13.53 @ 105.32

John_Kunkel

From my winching experience I say you can't have too much battery power or too big of a cable. Go big now rather than later.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.