News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Daytona / Superbird age of ownership

Started by cudavic, March 09, 2018, 03:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Current age of Daytona / Superbird and '69 Charger 500 owners (real cars only not clones or recreations)

40 to 44
2 (3.3%)
45 to 49
7 (11.5%)
50 to 54
14 (23%)
55 to 60
16 (26.2%)
over 60
20 (32.8%)
Under 40 (added 1 day after initial poll was set up)
2 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 61

Voting closed: April 08, 2018, 03:57:22 PM

cudavic

Quote from: 3--Daytona on March 15, 2018, 01:32:51 PM

I'm a little late in replying,as usual
First one  1974,,R4 red
Sec,one 1988   x9-black
Third one     2003  R5
All are still at home.

All daytona's                               Iam,, 82 years old

Thanks for posting.

Wow 38 years old when you purchased your first Daytona, I bet it feels like it was yesterday.
Congratulations on 44 plus years of winged car ownership.
If there was an award in this poll or thread, you would take it.

Sincerely Vic  :2thumbs:

light man

I bought my Superbird brand new in 1970 and it was a present to myself for my 23rd birthday. I still have the car and am 71 this year.

Aero426

Quote from: light man on March 16, 2018, 03:48:10 PM
I bought my Superbird brand new in 1970 and it was a present to myself for my 23rd birthday. I still have the car and am 71 this year.

You paid too much! 

cudavic

Quote from: light man on March 16, 2018, 03:48:10 PM

Wow. I guess I can say the same thing to you light man.
I bet at times it seams like it was just yesterday that you bought your bird.
Please tell us more about it. Color and spec's.

Sincerely Vic

moparfan

was 46 when I bought my bird 51 now fired it up yesterday let it run a bit.

Unwind

Landed Daytona in 1978.  Paid $5400 ( I quite clearly remember that as my initial offer was $5432.10).  Is a Canadian "Beater With a Heater".  Was daily driver.  Drove it in snow and crap, great winter car.  Now heated garage and no runnin' in the winter...    Salt when go Bonneville.
Will crank 62 this year.  You do the math....
Unwind.

3--Daytona

I didn't say what I paid for my  first  Daytona   I was going to parts store early,, was a used car lot next door--some how I saw this Daytona in back lot. Sales man said I'm taking bids,,,I said (just what will it take to buy) I drove it home,,,,,,this was June 1964.
I was so excited I never got to part store..

$967.89     True story

alfaitalia

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

cudavic

Quote from: 3--Daytona on March 17, 2018, 07:24:26 PM
    I didn't say what I paid for my  first  Daytona   I was going to parts store early,, was a used car lot next door--some how I saw this Daytona in back lot. Sales man said I'm taking bids,,,I said (just what will it take to buy) I drove it home,,,,,,this was June 1964.
I was so excited I never got to part store..

$967.89     True story

No wonder you got a good deal, you bought a Dayton 5 years prior to production.  :nana:
All kidding aside, I can only imagine how excited you were back in 1974 and purchased your first Daytona.
Keep the stories coming guy's I love hearing the back stories from all of you owners.
Sincerely Vic

taxspeaker

Saw my first bird in person in 1978. Although I worked at a Dodge dealer from 1969-1977 we never delivered or saw a wing car, so had only seen them in the magazines at the time. A local cop owned the orange bird in Hanover, Indiana and I pestered him to no avail, always hoping to buy one. Life and kids came along and then the Big "C" that was supposed to be terminal but wasn't. Came out the back side of that, got my financial situation straightened out and by 2008 started trying to buy one. Negotiated on 2 or 3 but they were always just 1 digit too many on the price. By late 2009 things were looking bad healthwise but open heart surgery worked for another miracle of modern medicine. A few months after that I got a call on the Alaska Highway Bird at a price that was still too much, but my wife urged me to 2nd mortgage and get my dream for $60,000. The car barely could drive on the trailer, and a long story involving shotguns, a divorce (not mine), a middle of the night 1,000 mile drive and Georgia Highway Patrol it got home legally mine. Before I could get it where I wanted it another type of the Big "C" came along, but again miracles of modern medicine, and the next thing you know the plan to drive it to Alaska came about from this chemotherapy-addled brain. And now it sits in my garage with it's big yellow Daytona brother and its "mouse retirement home" lime-light green Bird cousin. The rust-ridden mouse mass convention center also cost $60,000.

You think you've had mice in cars? Well this green one had them in the radiator, the carburetor, the seats, the heater box, the headliner, under the intake and best of all, under the valve covers there was a mouse skeleton in a rocker arm! We are throwing out so many mice skeletons that Halloween came early in Indiana this year. We didn't change the oil, we changed the fur. We are replacing the rear tail pipe extensions with tails. The seats are now going to be gray and fuzzy instead of that boring black vinyl, and the horn doesn't go beep-beep, it just squeaks.

69_500

39 now. On my third 69 500. This one is a keeper.

Bought first one 15 years ago. Yikes.

moparstuart

Quote from: 69_500 on March 18, 2018, 04:48:12 PM
39 now. On my third 69 500. This one is a keeper.

Bought first one 15 years ago. Yikes.

i bought my 500 in 2008 so i was 40 :)   
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

hotrod98

i purchased the Black Ice Superbird in 2009. I was 53 years old. I am now 62 years old.

Normal is an illusion. What is normal for the spider is chaos for the fly.
Charles Addams

Highbanked Hauler

I bought my 500 when I was 21 in 1970 now I am 68 and still have it.  :Twocents:
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

XS29J

1990 36,000 miles

2018   39,172 miles

V-code, Auto, All original

Arnie Cunningham

I was 16 when I bought mine.  My mother had to sign the contract as I was too young to legally sign.  I paid 100 dollars a month for 7 months until I save enough to pay it off in full.  $2000.  That was a lot of money in 1981 working for minimum wage.  Especially for a car that was taken apart, didn't run and was missing a ton of parts.  I am 53 now.  I have only put about 6 or 7 thousand miles on the car in almost 40 years.  It's always broken.  I compare owning a Superbird to being married to a supermodel that hates sex....  But, like it or not, I am still obsessed with it.  That's why I chose the screen name Arnie Cunningham lol.
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.

taxspeaker

QuoteI compare owning a Superbird to being married to a supermodel that hates sex...
:2thumbs::smilielol: :smilielol:

RallyeMike

I'm impressed by the length of ownership. These cars do not turn over much.

I'm 53 now and bought my 500 at 47.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Seabeckredneck

Some people just know what they've got and appreciate them for what they are.
  Unfortunate for me the aero cars have appreciated much faster than my bank account!