News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

BIG $$ being asked for 2nd Gens...but are they getting it??

Started by AKcharger, April 04, 2018, 09:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

I see People asking HUGE $$ fro 2nd Gen's...are they getting it?? I'm seeing, arguably very nice, '70 R/T Chargers, 440, auto bench seat with price tags of $85K and up. I also see running cars that are still MAJOR projects for over $20K..are people really getting that type of $$$??

It Looks like people are either crazy or the prices of these cars just doubled in the past few years?

Dino

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Challenger340

Quote from: AKcharger on April 04, 2018, 09:35:21 PM
I see People asking HUGE $$ fro 2nd Gen's...are they getting it?? I'm seeing, arguably very nice, '70 R/T Chargers, 440, auto bench seat with price tags of $85K and up. I also see running cars that are still MAJOR projects for over $20K..are people really getting that type of $$$??

It Looks like people are either crazy or the prices of these cars just doubled in the past few years?

It goes without saying that the ones that actually SELL are getting those prices, but for each of those it seems like there are 5-10 others "asking" that are NOT getting it ?  

Popularity of the 2nd Gen models seems to have caused a price point concentration at the high end at least temporarily ? but also not uncommon that as those prices rise there are fewer Buyers, tending to then re-distribute those that actually want to sell back into a more Buyer serviceable price territory.

Rising interest rates and costs of borrowing may already be starting to turn the high end tide ?

And as always, the really good examples in any limited numerical asset class will continue to hold that top end value longer and linger there, while the rest of the concentrated price point "herd" just disperses lower away from that high end first, then later also dragging the best down as well.

I know of at least 3 currently "dickering" in the 70's to 80's, and 2 with 10% lower than asking but respectable offers.  Last summer, In my opinion only here, the "respectable" offers would have succeeded tending to suggest that the market may be rolling over ?
Time will tell....
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Bad B-rad

Is it just the 2nd gen Chargers though?
I would agree the 2nd gen Chargers are leading the pack, but it looks like (to me) a bunch of Mopars are on the rise. Or at least the asking prices are on the rise.
1968-1970 Roadrunners seam to be up, as the 71-74 Chargers and Roadrunners.
I even see people asking, what I feel is crazy money for Satellites.

I kinda liked when most people didnt even know what a Charger was,LOL!
I guy I do repairwork for keeps asking how I am making out with my Roadrunner(I own a 1969 Charger)

I am not in it for the money, but it does suck when you watch the cars you love get to prices that you could never afford.

AKcharger

LOL, I never have a problem with people IDing my '70 as a charger thanks in large part to the Dukes of Hazzard (of course it's banned now for political correctness) but My '72 confounds people...they don't have any idea, many guess a GTO

Ghoste

I think the Charger always got recognition, at least that has always been my experience, even before the DOH.

charger_fan_4ever

Everything is getting crazy. late 70s trans ams are what 40k now ?
Fox body mustang prices are over 20k for clean low mile cars and all this is selling. Lets face it the charger is still the king of the mountain vs those types of cars. So if they bring 40k the charger is going to bring more whether we think they are actually worth it or not.

F8-4life

The rising prices are keeping most viable 68-70 charger "light" projects right were they are.
In someones garage.
Yes the values are always increasing but the cars aren't getting super rare and the prices of said cars aren't going up as much as everyone wants everyone else to think.

JR

What did a nice number two condition, 440 magnum, 2nd gen fully restored car cost back in 2000?

I vaguely remember them selling in the high 20's for a mint example? Let's say 25k.

What's the average transaction price now? 55k? (Just speculating here.)

If you account for inflation, 25k in 2000 money is equivalent to 36k today. So other factors are driving the price increase.

I'm guessing stronger international economies and more demand from over seas buyers, and the boom of investors looking to park their money in physical assets instead of stocks and bonds.

That's entirely my own speculation I pulled out of the clouds.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Bad B-rad

All above is true, but let me add that I think, there are also more people interstead in the older Mopars now.
I am not sure if its the internet, or the fact that they are worth more then the Mustangs, and Camaros, or if more people just finally "GET" what we have know all along, that Mopars are just better,LOL!!!!
But I feel there are a lot more people who are interstead in Mopars now, maybe they have a modern Challenger, or Charger and that got them into the history of them?

I feel there is also huge bubble of adults who were kids that grew up with the DOH, and now are at a point in life were they can afford to buy a GL, or a Charger and make a GL, or who started as GL fans but that morphed into a love of Chargers.

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: JR on April 06, 2018, 01:53:53 PM
What did a nice number two condition, 440 magnum, 2nd gen fully restored car cost back in 2000?

I vaguely remember them selling in the high 20's for a mint example? Let's say 25k.

If you account for inflation, 25k in 2000 money is equivalent to 36k today. So other factors are driving the price increase.

I'm guessing stronger international economies and more demand from over seas buyers, and the boom of investors looking to park their money in physical assets instead of stocks and bonds.

I agree with your assessment on the situation.  The US stock market is set up for a huge correction (it simply cannot keep going up endlessly) and people are starting to sense this.  (Note: I am not trying to be political in this statement, it is just how I feel based upon talking to several investment associates who watch all financial markets.)  When people pull "easy-earned" money out of the stock market, what do they tend to put it into?  Answer: Other tangible investments and/or toys to play with.  Second gen Chargers can be seen as both.  This pushes demand up and prices rise with it....

As for the foreign buyers, they too have seen some financial growth in their markets to spend.  It leads them to want to buy things that they can actually enjoy using, not just on a piece of paper.... 
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

ws23rt

Quote from: Chad L. Magee on April 06, 2018, 03:42:45 PM
Quote from: JR on April 06, 2018, 01:53:53 PM

I agree with your assessment on the situation.  The US stock market is set up for a huge correction (it simply cannot keep going up endlessly) and people are starting to sense this.  (Note: I am not trying to be political in this statement, it is just how I feel based upon talking to several investment associates who watch all financial markets.)  When people pull "easy-earned" money out of the stock market, what do they tend to put it into?  Answer: Other tangible investments and/or toys to play with.  Second gen Chargers can be seen as both.  This pushes demand up and prices rise with it....

As for the foreign buyers, they too have seen some financial growth in their markets to spend.  It leads them to want to buy things that they can actually enjoy using, not just on a piece of paper.... 

The stock market is ALWAYS "set up for a huge correction" and it -will- keep going up endlessly over time.  That is the nature of the stock market. Inflation forever gives the feel that stuff is losing value. The truth is that money (dollars for example) are always shrinking.
When one chooses to move their assets from one place to another (or not) that is much like what the stock market is doing for the folks that chose that way.
Wherever one's assets end up --they can only be realized when cashed in and that will be at the- then- current exchange rate whatever that may be.

It's all about risk. A savings account in a bank is very stable.  The loss of "value" of that investment is by far the most steady and predictable of all.

INTMD8

Well what's "big money"?

I bought a nice 68 from a dealer for 43k a year or so ago. Super nice 383 auto, gold on gold. I thought it was beautiful but many seemed to not like the color.

Recently sold it to a dealer for 58k. They listed it for 89k and it was only for sale for a couple of weeks.

No idea what they got for it but based upon my experience, yeah they are bringing some money.
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

Mike DC

The definition of "restored" has been creeping upwards over time.  This is a significant factor IMO.

People recall getting a "nice" car 15+ years ago for less.  But at the time a nice car might have mediocre brightwork, original gauges starting to yellow, original wiring, new seatcovers on top of old foam, many interior parts vinyl-paint-matched rather than molded in the real color, etc.  The original parts were not as far decayed so more of it got re-used and there was more junk remaining to scrounge.  

Nowadays more of the cars are redone more heavily.  That adds a lot of cost.

Challenger340

IMO, while there is NO Doubt in pretty much anybody's mind that the DOW and other Index's are in classic Bubble territory, waddling, qwacking and having feathers..... just where the heck else do you put the money ?

EXACTLY !

Just one of the "pressures" behind 2nd Gen Charger Price appreciation ? If you have seen huge profits across one asset class(stocks), why would you not pare back to your original investment, take the profits and diversify into something else, even that classic car you always wanted as an "investment" ?

And then think about this...
I believe things are exactly the opposite for others who already OWN a pretty darn fine 2nd Gen Chargers ?  

I mean WTF good is another $30K $40K in the Bank at DONUT interest, with the inflation bound to be coming after 10 years and Trillions $$ in stimulus ?  If your answer is that the $30K-$40K is pretty much useless.... then I guess asking $60K or $70K to make it worthwhile, and NOT caring if it sells may explain some of the rationale here.  

69bronzeT5

Quote from: charger_fan_4ever on April 06, 2018, 10:40:49 AM

Fox body mustang prices are over 20k for clean low mile cars and all this is selling.

I agree, it's ridiculous! I had 3 Fox Body 5.0Ls between 2010 and 2013. I had a 1993 LX hatchback 5.0L automatic with 125,000 original kms. Was absolutely MINT. Got it off the original owner, all the paperwork etc. Even the very rare sunroof leather storage bag! I tried to sell it, couldn't even get over $4,000 for it back in 2012. Sold my 1990 LX hatchback 5.0L 5 speed for $5,000 (only got that because a friend wanted it bad and offered that) in 2013. It had higher mileage but lots of new parts and high performance stuff. Now I see absolute sh*t kicked turds going for $8,000 plus!
Feature Editor for Mopar Connection Magazine
http://moparconnectionmagazine.com/

1969 Charger: T5 Copper 383 Automatic
1971 Charger R/T: B5 Blue 440 Automatic
1971 Charger Super Bee: GY3 Citron Yella 440 4-Speed
1970 GTO: 400 Ram Air III 4-Speed
1973 Plymouth Road Runner: 440 Automatic
1973 Plymouth Duster: 340 Automatic

Mike DC

The longer the prices stay up in stupid territory, the sooner Dynacorn will reproduce the shell.

Bad B-rad

That 1968 Charger R/T @ Vangaurd motors looks really nice!!!!
At least they take the time to go over almost the whole car with you top to bottom.
I think they are asking way over, the engine and rear are correct(according to video) but trans is not the numbers trans.
(And its missing the Penstar on fender WTF!!!LOL!!!)

It looks very nice.
I would love to know to what specifications the engine was rebuilt to?(as far as parts, camshaft, actual compression ratio, heads, and valves)
What do you guys value that car at?

Challenger340

Quote from: Bad B-rad on April 08, 2018, 09:36:10 AM
It looks very nice.
I would love to know to what specifications the engine was rebuilt to?(as far as parts, camshaft, actual compression ratio, heads, and valves)

Yep, certainly looks to be a Beaut !

As far as valuation, that's the..... 'ahem.... $129,000 Question ?      
Who the heck knows in this market, whatever someone is willing to actually pay for it I guess.

On another note, I wonder how in the heck Vanguard stays in business ? or how many they actually sell ? because their vehicle pricing seems to always be at the higher end of the scale for the examples shown.
Nice Car !
But $129,000 ?

https://inventory.vanguardmotorsales.com/vehicles/2949/1968-dodge-charger
CAR: Dodge Charger R/T 2 Door Sports Hardtop
ENGINE: 440cid 4-bbl HP V8
TRANSMISSION: 3-Speed Automatic
TIRES: F70x14 Red Side Wall, Steel Belted
BUILD DATE: September 1 .
AXLE: 3.23 Rear Axle Ratio, Sure Grip
INTERIOR: Charger Trim Grade, Vinyl Bucket Seats. Black Interior.
PAINT: Monotone Red Paint.
OTHER:

MOLDINGS:
25: Drip Rail Mouldings
30: Body Belt Mouldings
78: Wheel Lip Mouldings

ABC OPTIONS:
D9: Front Disk Brakes
H1: Power Brakes
R1: AM Radio
T7: Tachometer
X1: Tinted Glass (all)
Y6: Black Vinyl Top

abc OPTIONS:
h7: Fender or Hood Mounted Turn Signal Indicators
m6: Driver's Outside Remote Operated Mirror
u1: Sold Car When Built (Somebody Ordered It)

Bad B-rad

Quote from: Challenger340 on April 08, 2018, 09:58:28 AM
It looks very nice.

Yep, certainly looks to be a Beaut !

As far as valuation, that's the..... 'ahem.... $129,000 Question ?     
Who the heck knows in this market, whatever someone is willing to actually pay for it I guess.

I would think $129,000.00 would be on the high end for a numbers matching Hemi R/T auto.
But with a #'s Hemi I would think they are at least in the same ballpark.
I get it's worth what people will pay. Are we at the point were someone with $129K to spend on a Charger R/T cant find a handful of cars in the same or better shape for sale in the $70-$90's?

I was out of the loop for a few years, and when I came back I was very shocked about the prices of cars, but after buying my car(about 18 months ago), I haven't really stayed up on the "going rate: for Chargers, so I am not an expert on the current value.

On another note, I wonder how in the heck Vanguard stays in business, or how many they actually sell ? because their vehicle pricing seems to always be at the higher end of the scale for the examples shown.

Challenger340

Quote from: Bad B-rad on April 08, 2018, 10:13:18 AM
Quote from: Challenger340 on April 08, 2018, 09:58:28 AM
It looks very nice.

I get it's worth what people will pay. Are we at the point were someone with $129K to spend on a Charger R/T cant find a handful of cars in the same or better shape for sale in the $70-$90's?

And my question would be...
* how long before the other Seller's in the $50-$60-$70-$90's SEE the Vanguard example asking $129K.... and decide to "adjust" their pricing ?

Bad B-rad

Yeah, your right, it would take them about as long as it takes to type out the for sale ad!!!

Unless people just stop paying that price.
That is easy for me to say as I own one, now if I was still looking...............

Troy

A lot of the boutique/consignment type dealers have high prices (and get them) because they have clients who are too busy/lazy/uninformed (ie not an expert on all things on all cars they want to buy) to look for their own car and they may possibly be overseas. And a lot of those buyers are looking for shiny but not necessarily numbers correct. These dealers (especially consignment) have the ability to wait for the one guy who just has to have that particular car - even if it takes many months. And when it sells they'll arrange all the shipping and paperwork. People will pay for that convenience. The high price weeds out a lot of the tire kickers too.

The overall prices amaze me these days. I can see 25 years ago people buying a less desirable car to make a clone or even to rebuild/rebody a rarer car but these days the "cheap" ones aren't exactly cheap.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

HeavyFuel

Did anyone else want to punch that salesman in the face very time he touched the car.....or was that just me?