News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

BIG $$ being asked for 2nd Gens...but are they getting it??

Started by AKcharger, April 04, 2018, 09:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bad B-rad

Quote from: Troy on April 08, 2018, 12:44:30 PM
A lot of the boutique/consignment type dealers have high prices (and get them) because they have clients who are too busy/lazy/uninformed (ie not an expert on all things on all cars they want to buy) to look for their own car and they may possibly be overseas. And a lot of those buyers are looking for shiny but not necessarily numbers correct. These dealers (especially consignment) have the ability to wait for the one guy who just has to have that particular car - even if it takes many months. And when it sells they'll arrange all the shipping and paperwork. People will pay for that convenience. The high price weeds out a lot of the tire kickers too.

The overall prices amaze me these days. I can see 25 years ago people buying a less desirable car to make a clone or even to rebuild/rebody a rarer car but these days the "cheap" ones aren't exactly cheap.

Troy

All of those statements seam so very true, and I never looked at if from the angle of just having so much, money and not enough time, or from the angle of NOT noticing the fender penstar missing, because a lot of us know so much about theses cars, I guess I forget no everyone spends hours each day reading, dreaming and working on them!!

triple_green

while Ebay isn't the premier market for our cars it is a n indicator. If you look at the completed and sold auctions, you do not see nearly the price growth that some of the asking prices would indicate. But they def are not going down. I agree with all the talk about stock market gains translating to increase demand for collectibles too.
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

AKcharger

Well Heck if that $68 is $129K I'd let my '70 go for ONLY $79K...that's $50K less! a bargin!!!!   :rofl:

Challenger340

Quote from: triple_green on April 08, 2018, 02:35:29 PM
while Ebay isn't the premier market for our cars it is a n indicator. If you look at the completed and sold auctions, you do not see nearly the price growth that some of the asking prices would indicate. But they def are not going down. I agree with all the talk about stock market gains translating to increase demand for collectibles too.

IMO,
I think the main reason the completed and SOLD history on Ebay is not reflective, nor a good barometer of the price growth, is because I think Ebay has become more of a marketing exposure tool, than an actual vehicle within which the Sales are completed ?

One need only look at the extremely high "reserves" that never met during the Auction bidding on the finer examples, or equally nutbar "BUY NOW" prices, that after which, the wider exposure and off Ebay contacts garnered from the auction are later exploited to fruition, and actual sales prices never known until insured.

Look at the specialty Muscle/Classic Car Dealerships on Ebay ? ever actually SEE any of their auctions completed on Ebay ?

Also IMO,
some of the best barometers of the verified Price growth, may just be the NADA and Hagerty type insurance guides ? because those track actual bonifide completed auction sales like Mecum, B/J, Hemmings etc., etc., and if being newly insured..... the actual sales transaction receipts for agreed valuations. 
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Bad B-rad

Quote from: AKcharger on April 09, 2018, 12:10:08 PM
Well Heck if that $68 is $129K I'd let my '70 go for ONLY $79K...that's $50K less! a bargin!!!!   :rofl:

I know, I see those prices and I think, Boy if someone offered me that I would prob, have to sell!!!!
And then of course, I would never again be able to afford a Charger.

I would have to do like the Smith bros, build a crown vic, Charger.
On second thought, I will just keep mine!!

JR

Quote from: Bad B-rad on April 09, 2018, 01:50:08 PM
Quote from: AKcharger on April 09, 2018, 12:10:08 PM

I know, I see those prices and I think, Boy if someone offered me that I would prob, have to sell!!!!
And then of course, I would never again be able to afford a Charger.

I would have to do like the Smith bros, build a crown vic, Charger.
On second thought, I will just keep mine!!

I would LOVE to have one built on a 94-96 GM B body platform. (Impala/Caprice/Roadmaster.) Great chassis.

Or even a reskinned tube frame race car. That would also be fun. As the cars get more valuable, its harder to risk using them as intended.

I've always wanted to run the Big Bend Open Road Rally in mine, but if anything happened, I'm worried I couldn't afford to replace it.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green