News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

MSD replacing Previous setup - Wont Start - Questions

Started by Bholcombe, April 05, 2018, 09:39:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bholcombe

Howdy Gents,

Good morning!  I need a second opinion on this:

73' Charger - 383 transplant from another unknown car.  Ran OK.

Decided to replace the ignition setup with a Ready To Run MSD Billet.  I installed per directions of putting red/orange on +/- of the coil and grounded black wire on the motor.  Replaced wires.

Go to start the motor, nothing.   Took out a plug grounded against header, no spark.

I checked the coil and see it shows 4v with the ignition on, check the battery and that is fine.  Engine turns.

Just to double check myself I verified that the distributor is not 180 out, that checks fine.  As the rotor is pointing at #1 when the #1 cylinder is up (according tot he balancer).  I dont expect this is the issue anyways since there is no spark.

My research tells me that there is a resistor in the ignition wiring and that likely is not proving enough voltage to the coil.  I jumped a hot over to the coil and still no spark.   I did not jump the ground as well so I'm starting to the think that the original ignition wiring needs to be completely circumvented and replaced with a simple hot wire from before the resistor and ground to the chassis.

We didn't replace the coil at the time, but decided to replace that for the next round of this work.

Is there something obvious that I'm missing here?  Need a double check to make sure I'm not losing my mind, thanks gents.

BLK 68 R/T

Do you still have the ballast resistor installed? Does the RTR dizzy use a ballast resistor? if not hook all the wires together from the ballast resistor. Then you should be full power all the time.

Bholcombe

They make no mention of it, but provide a wiring diagram that shows 12+ at the coil, so I assume the Ballast resistor is not needed.

Thank you, I'll do just that. 

Cheers
Brian