News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Fuel Gas Vapor Separator question

Started by chaaargerb, April 07, 2018, 05:47:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chaaargerb

Hello
I saw in a couple of different post about some problems with the Fuel Gas Vapor Separator on the 440 motors. Some people said they had to put a restriction in the return line to get enough fuel to run the motor. Is this common and were in the line do you put it? Were do you get a line restrictor ?
I don't want to have any troubles right out of the gate. Thanks for any help.

3--Daytona

I just took my vapor separator off.  Car starts much better after it had set for a few days. Don't have to crank near as long to start.

RealWing

The restriction is in the end of the return nipple. Usually 0.040-0.060" diameter. I simply soldered mine and drilled a hole.
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S
1969 Barracuda convertible  6.1 L Hemi
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

chaaargerb

The picture is a repop. I have an original but didn't know of it's condition. I purchased a repop but it sounds like it my not work properly. 

thehemikid

Bought an aftermarket Vapor Separator several yrs back and it ended up not having a restrictor. Tried it as is to see what it'd do.  You can actually here gas dribbling into the fuel tank after just a few fire up primes.  :scratchchin:

You can make a restrictor and put it in the return hose. Got about 6000 miles on mine.  :Twocents:

Redbird

The prices of these pieces are all over the spectrum. Rock auto at $23 to Year One.

I remember in the late 1970's and 1980's using a GM filter with the bypass, which worked just fine, for like a really low price. If I was concerned about winning a show award, I suppose I could have painted it Black.

RealWing

Quote from: thehemikid on April 15, 2018, 02:03:27 AM
Bought an aftermarket Vapor Separator several yrs back and it ended up not having a restrictor. Tried it as is to see what it'd do.  You can actually here gas dribbling into the fuel tank after just a few fire up primes.  :scratchchin:

You can make a restrictor and put it in the return hose. Got about 6000 miles on mine.  :Twocents:
If it had no restrictor - it might be like this fake one. No screen and just short tubes inside. ie doesn't screen any debris and doesn't purge any vapour back to the tank!! Don't ask me how I know!!
Jim
1970 Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Barracuda 340 Formula S
1969 Barracuda convertible  6.1 L Hemi
2015 BMW K1600 GTL

thehemikid

Yep,...found debris in the carb bowls too. :icon_smile_blackeye: :rotz:

6T8GTX

Does anyone know where to buy a high quality reprodcution?  I need one for my GTX.  A friend recommended buying it from Roger Gibson.  I was also looking at 521 Restorations has they sell them for a bit less and they describe their part as having "the correct internal tube configuration lengths unlike some of them on the market. Full inlet tube length is 2.5". Full outlet and return tube lengths are 3"."  Any thoughts?  Thanks!

birdsandbees

I've had ZERO issues with anything that I've bought from Jeff Brown (521 resto)
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

6T8GTX

maxwellwedge

Quote from: 6T8GTX on April 18, 2018, 11:52:23 AM
Does anyone know where to buy a high quality reprodcution?  I need one for my GTX.  A friend recommended buying it from Roger Gibson.  I was also looking at 521 Restorations has they sell them for a bit less and they describe their part as having "the correct internal tube configuration lengths unlike some of them on the market. Full inlet tube length is 2.5". Full outlet and return tube lengths are 3"."  Any thoughts?  Thanks!

But do they add the restriction in the return?
I think the Roger Gibson/Frank Badalson ones have the restriction.

70sixpkrt

Does the one 521 Resto have the screen in it?

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

jerry

i removed the 15 year old repop and replaced it with original. the  in and out tubes are larger and the return  dia. is 1/16 ''.  glad i still had the original vapor seperator.