News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tires

Started by poppa, April 08, 2018, 11:25:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppa

Hi all , Looking for some tires for a 94 Yukon (I know). It came with 16's and I am going to a set of 15" older rally style (yes they clear the calipers). On it now are some LT245/75/16"s , the rims are thinner 6 maybe 7 inch wide. The ones I am going with are 8" wide. I don't want to go much taller (a little would be ok) but I will be going a little wider. Can someone recommend a decent tire to go with, not looking to put $200some dollar tires on an older truck , (I think the ones on it now are too hard , just a dusting of snow and I HAVE to put it in 4x4 to get up my drive) and what do you think the biggest size I could go with? Thanks for taking the time
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

Troy

Well, if you drop an inch in wheel size you'll need to increase the aspect ratio (the middle part) and/or go wider to even get back to the height you have now. A 245/85/15 would be the same width and close to the same height but no one makes a tire in that size. A 265/75/15 will be nearly identical in height but about an inch wider - and there are several brands available. Realistically, that's very close to a 31x10.50-15 off road tire so your choices are nearly limitless. Honestly, I have a bunch of trucks and I really don't buy "cheap" tires. I think the Cooper Discoverer and General Grabbers get good reviews and are about $120 each. Right now TireRack.com has General Grabber HTS 60 all season radial (8.2 out of 10 rating) for $116.55 each and there's a $70 rebate/card from General. Read the reviews to see how they do in snow. I have some Yokohama Geolandars on one of my trucks. The reviews are awesome overall but those things are hockey pucks when cold.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

poppa

Troy , thanks for the quick reply. I did actually take a quick look at the Discoverer and the Grabber. My truck is not lifted but the 31's usually look pretty cool on these trucks , main thing for me is getting up the drive when it snows , really sucks.

There is pretty much room between tire and fenders. You think the 8" rim would work for a 31x10.50-15 ,huh? Thought I'd need a wider rim. What's on there now measures 29 1/2 actual. I guess your right , if they measure close to the 31" they would only be 3/4 of an inch closer to the fenders. And there's room for that.
I'll have to change my thinking here! Thanks again for your time
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

Troy

I should have posted the dimensions: your tires are about 30.5" tall now. A true 31" tall tire will only be 1/4" closer to the fender (the tire is 1/2" taller but only half of that is above the axle). The 265/75/15 is 30.65" tall - and at that height you're close to the variance of most 31" tires. Your tires are 9.65" wide while the 265/75/15 is 10.43" (again, right at the 31x10.5 size). That's only .4" wider on each side of the center line. You're going to be using a 1" wider wheel to make up for a .8" wider tire.

Tire Rack lists 265/75-16s as factory available on your truck so that's pretty much what I said but even taller (31.5"x10.5"). They don't list any 15" options so you make want to make doubly sure those wheels will fit.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

c00nhunterjoe

I had the hts's on a 99 tahoe. Didnt like them. If you are going general, get the grabbers. Same as a bfg at but half the cost. On a cheaper side, ironman at is a very nice tire. I have them on my truck this set and they ride great and grip great. Tows with no issues. For a more aggressive yet cheap tire, i liked the mastercraft courser mt. Fwiw, my truck is a 2500 chevy, e rated tires

https://www.herculestire.com/tire-details/Ironman/All%20Country%20A/T

http://mastercrafttires.com/Tires/Light-Truck/Courser-MXT.aspx

chargerboy69

I have a 92 Yukon 2dr. and I love the Mastercraft AXT tires.  I run them on the wifes 2014 Ram and on my 2003 Ram shop truck.
Indiana Army National Guard 1st Battalion, 293rd Infantry. Nightfighters. Fort Wayne Indiana.

A government big enough to give you everything you need, is a government big enough to take away everything that you have.
--Gerald Ford