News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1971 Dodge Charger Charlotte 600 pace cars

Started by Simonic, April 08, 2018, 03:31:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simonic

I came across an old photo of these cars a couple of days ago,pictured at the track with Bobby Isaac's twin daughters posing with them.
After looking around the web I've found that one was possibly totalled a long time ago,but one was known to still exist as late as 2011.
Does anyone on here have any more info a curious man could read please ?
Thank You gentlemen
Mopar owner in the UK..

Montclaire

Mopar Action did a spread a while back on the survivor.  It had carpet out of a Ponderosa or Sizzler restaurant or something like that.  It was still mostly original, including some decals, from what I recall. 

Simonic

What a great bit of info . Thank You.
I also heard from my friend Dale Mattews,he's seen the car and it's not far away from where he lives . I got a weblink from Dale..... Here it is...
http://www.creationsbygemza.com/1971-dodge-charger-pace-car.html
Mopar owner in the UK..

sdweatherman

That car is in the Mopar Sunroof Registry. I will see what I have in my files about it later tonight.
Scott.
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus GY8/318/Auto
1971 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus GB7/318/Auto factory Sunroof
1972 Plymouth Satellite Sebring Plus EV2/400/Auto factory Sunroof

sdweatherman

Alright - I do not have any more current info on this car. Here is another web article about the car after it had its showing at the Wellborn Car Museum:

http://www.streetmusclemag.com/news/long-lost-71-charlotte-speedway-pace-car-charger-rt-2/

It also had a showing at the All Chrysler Carlisle show in July of 2011.

It is registered in the 1971 R/T - 71 Super Bee registry. I also have it documented in the Mopar Sunroof Registry.

As far as I know, it's still owned by Steve Howard - son of Richard Howard who owned Charlette Motor Speedway. It is probably still family owned and tucked away in a cozy place. The twin car was totaled back in 1971 by Rich Howard's PR rep.

Scott.

Simonic

Mopar owner in the UK..

Simonic

After some further research i was able,with the help of my friend Dale Mattews able to go and see the pace car.
It is stored at at Creations by Gemza in Denver NC.
The people at Gemza were super friendly and i appreciated them taking time out of their day to show me the car.
As an added bonus we rode to to Denver in the Bobby Isaac '70 Challenger.....
Mopar owner in the UK..

sdweatherman

Awesome info - thanks for the update.
Scott.
Mopar Sunroof Registry.

chargervert

Scott,I was watching a rerun of Graveyard Carz last night,and they were tearing down a sunroof 69 Charger R/T SE in bronze. Is the car known to your registry?

sdweatherman

Quote from: chargervert on December 21, 2019, 11:30:14 AM
Scott,I was watching a rerun of Graveyard Carz last night,and they were tearing down a sunroof 69 Charger R/T SE in bronze. Is the car known to your registry?
Thanks! Yes, the owner contacted me about the car a little more than a year ago. Scott.