News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

GETTING MOLDING FOR THE DAYTONA IS THE FENDER FROM A 1970 ROAD RUNNER?

Started by kevs1969daytona, April 08, 2018, 10:55:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevs1969daytona

For the life of me cant remember what the fender is off off, I know it not a 1969 charger fender is it off off a 1970 road runner ????

chargervert

Daytona Chargers used a modified 1970 Charger fender. Plymouth Superbirds used a 1970 Dodge Coronet fender.

kevs1969daytona

DAY CLONA

Quote from: kevs1969daytona on April 08, 2018, 11:20:31 AM
So a 1970 Charger molding should work ??

68-70 Charger moldings are all the same, a Daytona is a 68-70 modified Charger piece, you can either hack it like the factory did, cut a V in it and straighten it to fit the Daytona valance, or if you have access to a shrinker/stretcher jaw set you can straighten the piece to fit

Mike

DAY CLONA

FYI... Year ONE has the best 68-70 Charger mldgs, don't know the actual vendor they use, but there are 2 or more different suppliers out there from other sources, I've found the Year One mlds are the best fitting, as well as the best ones to "bump" with a stretcher/shrinker jaw without splitting

Mike

Here's the YO moldings on my Daytona, rears fit with ZERO issues as did the front after the front lower legs were straightened with a shrinker/stretcher jaw set

FYI they're stainless steel as original, if you order from Year ONE they carried 2 lines of these moldings, the economy line and the premium line, do yourself a favor and buy the premium line

Charger-Bodie

I agree. W/o moldings for 68-70 chargers are one of the very few things I buy from year one.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

hemigeno

Mike's absolutely correct in that to fit a set of '68-70 Charger mouldings to a Daytona, you'll have to somehow straighten out the front leg to fit the contour/profile of the valance.  Metal Stretcher (or maybe an English wheel??) and a relief "V" cut are the usual methods to accomplish this.  Just to be clear, there would be no relief "V" cut on OEM mouldings... so if there's a visible cut like the one in that earlier picture, I'll wager a fair sum that the original moulding has been replaced.  Another telltale of OEM mouldings would be a square cut on the bottom front edge (the rear leg's bottom edge is the "regular" Charger shape).   The picture of that red Daytona's moulding with the "V" cut shows it's been squared off like an original moulding - however... I've also found OEM Daytona mouldings to be about 1/2" to 3/4" longer than regular Charger mouldings, which would extend the moulding low enough to cover most if not all of the valance.  

With that said - as you can see from Mike's Waltermelon photo, a straightened set of regular Charger mouldings look great when installed.  After straightening the mouldings to fit, there's no real need to worry about most of these details, as only a few nut cases (like me) ever worried about such things. 

Here's an older thread reply addressing some details of wheel lip mouldings:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,20470.msg223191.html#msg223191

A quote from another thread:

Quote from: hemigeno on September 03, 2007, 01:12:37 AM

Even though the Daytonas have a unique front wheel lip moulding part/number, the screw hole pattern was exactly the same as a regular Charger's except for the front lowest hole which screwed into the valance.  As a result, a Daytona fender will have the same moulding screw hole pattern as any '68-69 (or '70 if so equipped) Charger.  You can see on all the original Daytona wheel lip mouldings (including the NOS set that I bought a few years back) that there was no pre-drilled/punched hole at that front lowest location, and that Creative Industries workers hand-located a different type of sheet metal screw through the moulding and into the lower valance at that front lowest corner.  That screw was placed in a generally-similar but slightly varied location on each moulding, and it isn't in the same place that a regular Charger's moulding hole would be if you straightened that leg out.  If you wanted to "replicate" a set of Daytona wheel lip mouldings using a regular set of Charger mouldings, you'd need to fill in that front lowest hole to keep that from being a dead giveaway of a non-original part.

A picture of an OEM Daytona front passenger-side wheel lip moulding, installed: