News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

100% bolt in 5 SPEED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by Bad B-rad, April 12, 2018, 11:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Challenger340

Quote from: myk on April 22, 2018, 07:04:27 PM
So if it's a matter of adjusting timing, among other things, one of those fancy EFI kits that can manipulate timing would be the thing to do? 

Variable Valve Timing, is distinctly different from Ignition Timing. 
One moves actual Cam Lobe/Valve events, the other is simply "when" the spark hits the A/F in the Combustion Chamber.

There are ways to make the legacy engines compatible with the low rpm's the O.D. provides and still have good power up top, but it takes some planning beyond simply "pick this one" in the Cam book and bolting things together. 
IMO,
EFI should be a must for these efforts as well.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

Bad B-rad

I personally would just like another gear to drop cruising rpms down on the highway, that's all.
I know that my 69 is not gonna get 25+MPG, but I personally didn't like my 3.91 gears on the highway for very long(14 inch tires. magnum 500's) the temp went up(not overheating, but it went up)
I would like to run a off the line gear, but still be able to cruise on the highway, Those are the reasons the Hemi 4 speed OD or the 5 speed were cool to me.

In my 2016, R/T with the A8 it came with 2.62 rear, I went to a 3.09, then a 3.90, and the A8 still lets me cruise all day at 80MPH if I wanted and rpms are way down.

Challenger340

Quote from: Bad B-rad on April 22, 2018, 08:30:31 PM
I personally would just like another gear to drop cruising rpms down on the highway, that's all.
I know that my 69 is not gonna get 25+MPG, but I personally didn't like my 3.91 gears on the highway for very long(14 inch tires. magnum 500's) the temp went up(not overheating, but it went up)
I would like to run a off the line gear, but still be able to cruise on the highway, Those are the reasons the Hemi 4 speed OD or the 5 speed were cool to me.

In my 2016, R/T with the A8 it came with 2.62 rear, I went to a 3.09, then a 3.90, and the A8 still lets me cruise all day at 80MPH if I wanted and rpms are way down.

What Engine... and more importantly here.... what size Camshaft are you attempting "to drop cruising rpms down on the highway" ?

Is this the Eddy Victor Headed 528 Hemi with a Mechanical "Race" Roller Camshaft ?

myk

What a headache.  I just don't want my engine screaming at me while I'm barely going 60...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Challenger340 on April 22, 2018, 05:22:52 PM
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on April 22, 2018, 05:24:00 AM
I plan to get a T56 magnum behind a 528 hemi with 4.10 gearing on 26inch tall tires.  I juggled back and forth on a 5 or 6, but no way I was gonna do 4 speed granted I used to cruise at 3k rpm at 80ish mph with 28inch tall tires on the stock A833 and people said I was insane.  I opted for the 6 speed because both the 5 and 6 have to hack tunnel anyways, but with the 6 speed magnum you get 700ft lbs plus of torque rating and smoother shifts than our old 4 speeds.  As for passon 5 speed great company and Jamie helps a lot of people, but just to give you guys an idea Im on year 2 of a 7 year wait on 5 speeds I was in line at 300 ish people last time I heard, but I quit the waiting game on that one.  They are awesome pieces and know some friends with them who got dibs on them because he knows Jamie personally he just happen to have one lying around and sold it to his buddies, but im not a buddie  :icon_smile_big:

Using 4.10 gears and 26" tall Tires ?

Most calculators I use say:
*  that a .64 O.D. between 60-70 mph, will be around 2,000 Engine rpm at 60 mph, and 2375 Engine rpm at 70 mph ?

I know of no performance style Camshaft, depending upon one's definition of "performance" in a Hemi I guess ?..... that is going to LIKE, or run well(let be efficiency) down at THAT rpm range ? effectively making a 6 speed useless.
And remember...
the larger the Head Port Volume.... the slower the A/F charge moves in the port(velocity), further compromising Torque at lower rpm's

yes you are correct challenger340, but as you said you cant have your cake and eat it too its a compromise with the cam choice and rpm.  We talked about this builder and I and various other hemi owners what I want and its gonna really push the limits of the engine you want 1k HP on pump, DONE, you want cruiseability, ok, you want low rpm with high HP with big cam, meh, and you want reliability, meh.......its a balance of what im trying to do, but hopefully with the cam, OD, etc...everything works out or I will have a dog at low rpm and or my car is built for the drags only.  :icon_smile_big:

1974dodgecharger

So if it's a matter of adjusting timing, among other things, one of those fancy EFI kits that can manipulate timing would be the thing to do? 

EFI is a big helper in all this.....when I had my blower with 10lbs of boost the car did not like driveablity it was ALL OR NOTHING, but with EFI I kinda get my cake and eat it too on driveabliity for fuel.

myk

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on April 22, 2018, 09:25:28 PM

EFI is a big helper in all this.....when I had my blower with 10lbs of boost the car did not like driveablity it was ALL OR NOTHING, but with EFI I kinda get my cake and eat it too on driveabliity for fuel.

Ppbbbbbbb.  I guess I might have to reevaluate EFI then...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Bad B-rad

Quote from: myk on April 22, 2018, 09:13:42 PM
What a headache.  I just don't want my engine screaming at me while I'm barely going 60...

I agree that's what I was after!
I like to drive my car, and I just didnt enjoy the 3.91's
or I didnt enjoy them on the highway, i enjoyed them when I punched it, LOL.

birdsandbees

Reading all this makes me love my 'Bee's 2.94's even more...  :yesnod:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Challenger340

If you have discussed all this with your builder ?
Again here....
do you mind me asking what Mechanical Roller Camshaft Specs are you intending for a Victor Jr HEMI Headed 528 Engine to "cruise" in the low 2,000's rpm ?
and,
Are you and your Builder aware ?, that you can do more damage loading/lugging/washing cylinder walls at too low port velocity's/reversion/rpm's for the Cam, than will ever occur at 3,500 rpm all day long ? let be for now Bearing wear, Oil contamination, etc. and FORGET any fuel economy whatsoever !

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Challenger340 on April 23, 2018, 10:02:17 AM

Again here....
do you mind me asking what Mechanical Roller Camshaft Specs are you intending for a Victor Jr HEMI Headed 528 Engine to "cruise" in the low 2,000's rpm ?
and,
Are you and your Builder aware ?, that you can do more damage loading/lugging/washing cylinder walls at too low port velocity's/reversion/rpm's for the Cam, than will ever occur at 3,500 rpm all day long ? let be for now Bearing wear, Oil contamination, etc. and FORGET any fuel economy whatsoever !

we are still looking over what Cam is bested suited for what I want right now....I will be cruising 2300rpm at 85ish with 4.10 gearing with the 26inch tall tire....if I wanted to I can always sta in 5th geart and get me like 2600 rpm etc...nice thing about the 6 speed vs 4 speed I have more choices of what I want to do.  Again the 4.10 is for when im in town and I plan to get a taller gear for cruising out of state etc...YES forget fuel economy that's something I did not care for anyways with my old 383 I was getting 5mpg getting roughly 175 miles on a tank of gas with the 4 speed and blower setup.....

Kern Dog

Our cars have 19 gallon tanks. 5 miles to the gallon means 95 miles if you run the tank dry. That is not 175 miles.

Challenger340

Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on April 23, 2018, 08:56:57 PM

Again here....
and,

we are still looking over what Cam is bested suited for what I want right now....I will be cruising 2300rpm at 85ish with 4.10 gearing with the 26inch tall tire....if I wanted to I can always sta in 5th geart and get me like 2600 rpm etc...nice thing about the 6 speed vs 4 speed I have more choices of what I want to do.  Again the 4.10 is for when im in town and I plan to get a taller gear for cruising out of state etc...YES forget fuel economy that's something I did not care for anyways with my old 383 I was getting 5mpg getting roughly 175 miles on a tank of gas with the 4 speed and blower setup.....

As long as you and your builder are well aware of, and fully cognizant of, the considerations to engine tuning and premature damage/failure that can occur in what you are planning, I have fulfilled the spirit of this site in trying to help others, through polite attempt at relevant conversation.

It's your engine, good luck with it.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Challenger340 on April 24, 2018, 08:33:10 AM
Quote from: 1974dodgecharger on April 23, 2018, 08:56:57 PM

Again here....
and,

As long as you and your builder are well aware of, and fully cognizant of, the considerations to engine tuning and premature damage/failure that can occur in what you are planning, I have fulfilled the spirit of this site in trying to help others, through polite attempt at relevant conversation.

It's your engine, good luck with it.

its a compromise cant have your cake and eat it too...as we all know.  If I wanted MPG and something more reliable I would of dropped in a hellcat engine and be good to go no guessing on build and I can increase the boost with pulley and new tune for 1k RWHP, but I like the gen 2 hemi.

frank1966

2 year wait? Is it the same for a 6 speed? Last I checked 6spd kits were >6k?

oldschool

I have 3 of these Passon 5 speed overdrives.  Two of them are in my 1970 Cuda Convertibles and one is in my 1968 Cuda.  They truly are a direct bolt in transmission, with no cutting or modifying what so ever.  The convertibles a little over 700 hp, the 68 Cuda makes 960 hp.  All have large roller cams and have not been a problem.  I have around 3000 miles total drive time on the convertibles, with no problems. 

The wheels on the convertibles are 255/60/R15.  One of them has a 3.91 gear, the other a 3.55.  I prefer the 3.91, it makes it so you can use the overdrive around town instead of only on the highway. 

These overdrives have transformed the driving experience, making it so I drive the cars a lot more. 
1968 cuda formula S bb 4-sp                          1968 Charger R/T 500" 4-sp
1970 Charger 580" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
1970 Cuda Convertible 500" 4-sp
TOO MUCH HORSEPOWER, IS ALMOST ENOUGH!