News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is it wrong to modify a charger?

Started by pwmcharge, April 16, 2018, 05:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cdr

Quote from: 68charger440 on April 19, 2018, 01:59:12 PM
I say do what you like, but just keep in mind that if it is an RT or 500 etc, the original is usually worth more on the resale market unless you really go all out and spare no expense on you customization.  What I did was I kept all original parts so that if I ever sell it the new owner can bring it back to original if they want to.

Resto mods have been bringing big money lately, in a lot of cases,more than OE restos .
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

c00nhunterjoe

If you bought it for resale.... you are on the wrong forum. I could care less what my car is worth. I bought it because i wanted it and will never sell it.

cdr

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on April 19, 2018, 06:32:15 PM
If you bought it for resale.... you are on the wrong forum. I could care less what my car is worth. I bought it because i wanted it and will never sell it.

True.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

Lennard

:iagree:

Rubberduck

Me too
´68 Charger, 505 by CWE, 4-speed

stripedelete

I respect the fact that many of us own our Charger for the love of the car.   I am one of those people.
But, for me , completely ignoring what modifications do to its value is like having your gold medal bronzed.

Ghoste

Yep, because as much as we think we would never sell it, what happens if the day comes when its eat or sit hungry in the car I can't plate or put fuel in?  It does happen.  I still say its your car do as you wish, but if you are ever forced into the unthinkable...

Lennard

That's why every modification on my '68 can be undone with a die grinder in a couple of hours.

pwmcharge

To reply to MYK,  No I don't care what people think of me.  Only people in my life I set myself a standard to is my wife and kids. I just started this because I'm kinda sick of people using social media as a cowardly way of insulting others personally for ridiculous reasons. Just happen to pick this forum because we all have something in common

XH29N0G

I think you'll find the people here love these cars and while each may have their own personal preferences, the general sentiment is to look at the aesthetic of others through their eyes.  There have been some cases when it has gotten too far for my taste and others, but I can appreciate the work and thought that went into your car. 

PS.  I also enjoyed Lennard's post.   :2thumbs:

Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

pwmcharge

You completely agree.  Have seen many modded car that have been to much for my taste.  But I don't call names or insult.
Also no didn't buy mine to resale it been with me for 20 years now . Longer than I've been married.

JB400

It's not wrong to modify it until you go to sell it, then it will get torn apart piece by piece.  The delusional sellers thread proves that point, unless you do things right and take into account and make deductions based on how much your mods devalue your car compared to an OE car.  Unfortunately, most don't do that, and just slap a price tag on it with no actual thought put into what their car is actually worth

stripedelete

Quote from: JB400 on April 20, 2018, 10:38:30 PM
It's not wrong to modify it until you go to sell it, then it will get torn apart piece by piece.  The delusional sellers thread proves that point, unless you do things right and take into account and make deductions based on how much your mods devalue your car compared to an OE car.  Unfortunately, most don't do that, and just slap a price tag on it with no actual thought put into what their car is actually worth

Bingo!  And they complain about lowballer's........

Dino

When I sell mine it'll go overseas. Way too much whining going on on this end about what I "should" do to my car.

Sweet car OP!
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

68charger440

Whether you like it or not, the car will either be wrecked and/or sold at some point. Unless you have found the fountain of youth, you will die at some point and the car will be in someone elses hands.  I have had my charger since 1974 or 1975 (can't remember for sure which year),  so obviously I didnt buy it for resale, but it is foolish to ignore the financial impact of these decisions to modify it.  You can have your cake and eat it too if you save your original parts as I said in my original post.
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

Lennard

Quote from: 68charger440 on April 21, 2018, 02:22:42 PM
but it is foolish to ignore the financial impact of these decisions to modify it.  You can have your cake and eat it too if you save your original parts as I said in my original post.
I can't speak for the cOOnhunter, but I don't think I've never been accused of making smart decisions.  :icon_smile_big:

Kern Dog

Quote from: pwmcharge on April 20, 2018, 05:11:25 PM
To reply to MYK,  No I don't care what people think of me.  Only people in my life I set myself a standard to is my wife and kids. I just started this because I'm kinda sick of people using social media as a cowardly way of insulting others personally for ridiculous reasons. Just happen to pick this forum because we all have something in common

We do. There are a range of ages here too. Looking at other Mopar sites, the average age of their members seems to be older than here. Maybe the younger set is the type to be more open to modifications ?
Regarding those that would insult you online: It happens in person as well. Everyone has an opinion, some feel the need to express it with no regard for tact or good manners. Most people in my local car club are polite about my car even though they are mostly into sitting in lawn chairs at shows instead of turning corners fast. I have met people in the past 30 years that say shit like....
Nice car, but what I would have done is....
Uhhh, why did you paint it THAT color?
The wheels are too big.
The car needs to be taller/lower/raked.
My brother/cousin/uncle had one nicer than this.

There are also people that look at something nice and have the very strange impulse to point out anything that they see as a flaw.
My lazy, pot smoking brother-in-law for example....I had just put the new wheels and tires on the freshly painted car and drove by my Mom's place. Pothead Pat was there with my Sister. Everyone was complimenting the car but him. He noticed the right door wasn't aligned perfectly and had to point it out. The fat fuck never had a nice car but HE felt compelled to point out a flaw in mine.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: 68charger440 on April 21, 2018, 02:22:42 PM
Whether you like it or not, the car will either be wrecked and/or sold at some point. Unless you have found the fountain of youth, you will die at some point and the car will be in someone elses hands.  I have had my charger since 1974 or 1975 (can't remember for sure which year),  so obviously I didnt buy it for resale, but it is foolish to ignore the financial impact of these decisions to modify it.  You can have your cake and eat it too if you save your original parts as I said in my original post.

If it is wrecked, or i have died, then what does it matter? Insurance company will pay for it or i will be dead and... well, wont care so to speak. I have my cake and eat it every time i fire my car up. I enjoy cake. Alot.

1974dodgecharger

you guys are amateur at best for having a hated classic car, lol  I blow peoples minds with hate when they see me  :hah:

Ghoste

68charger440

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on April 22, 2018, 10:19:27 PM
If it is wrecked, or i have died, then what does it matter? Insurance company will pay for it or i will be dead and... well, wont care so to speak. I have my cake and eat it every time i fire my car up. I enjoy cake. Alot.
Where it matters for me at lease is after I am dead I want my kids to have the most inheritance money possible.  If you have a daughter who doesn't want the car you can ensure she gets more money if you keep the original parts.  She can then sell it lock stock and barrel, and it will have broader appeal to both purists and non purists alike.
When someone is absolutely 100% sure they know exactly what your problem is and how to fix it, it's time to ask someone else!

Kern Dog

Quote from: pwmcharge on April 16, 2018, 05:36:57 PM
Hi all,  been a member for a while don't post much mainly just read. Well anyways I have  a 68 that I have owned since 98. All the work has been done by myself and I'm proud of it.  It is no where near original but my thinking is it was a pretty rough run of the mill charger not an rt or anything special. Now getting to my point of topic is I was looking at an online artical and there was a pic of my car and I thought cool, then at the bottom there was a comment,  some body called me a tool because it was modified. Normally I don't think much of that stuff but it got me thinking. Is this really our society today? I have seen mods I don't care for but have never called names for it,  I just think to myself I would have done something different shrug my shoulders and move on. Well anyways I have seen some pictures of some beautiful cars on this forum and from reading some of the threads there are some very talented people here. With that being said I would like to know what other charger owners think,  original or modified?

People can be dicks. The anonymity of the internet often results in comments made that may never have been said face to face.
I've had a few cool cars over the years and have heard a fair share of comments like...
* Aww, man...I would have put on different wheels.
* If that was my car, I'd put a hood scoop on it.
* You should paint it blue.
* The car sits too low for me.
After a few comments, I started saying things like:
* Wheres YOUR car?
* Tell you what.... lets look at your car and I'll tell you how you should have done it.
* I didn't build this car to make other people happy.

alfaitalia

Funny thread....if I want it modified (and it is) I really don't care about the "possible" price in the future "if" for some reason I "need" to sell it. I bet those guys that worry about that shit already have a funeral plan in place for when they die. Lol. Hell people...live a little and most importantly live for today. It's only a car...a very nice car...but just a car.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Nacho-RT74

I never had paid attention to this thread before. This is what can I say:

I'm pro stock look. Maybe some resto mod easy to be turned back ( mostly bolt ons mods ), but heavilly modified one?... is not for me unless the inital project was a basket case and it was so hard to get it back to life than modifiy it was the only way to make it.

Usually get the stock look can become on a harder and expensive job than a heavily modified one. That's why I admire those more than modified. Aside I love "time machines".

A modified car ( Charger or whatever else ) needs a very delicated taste to be on everyone eyes without a flaw.
Venezuelan RT 74 400 4bbl, 727, 8.75 3.23 open. Now stroked with 440 crank and 3.55 SG. Here is the History and how is actually: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,7603.0/all.html
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,25060.0.html

c00nhunterjoe

Hell, i ruined my car.... i put general lee decals on it...  :smilielol: