News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

727 yoke seal leakage thoughts please

Started by oldcarnut, April 16, 2018, 10:07:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

My transmission yoke seal is dripping out the dust boot section.  Tranny is rebuilt and yoke is a snug fit into the tail shaft housing with no loose play.  I replaced the first seal because the trans sat in place a couple or more years without running even though it was a new seal.  The second seal dripped also.  It was a National brand seal and didn't fit as tight as the one that came with the rebuilt trans.  I pulled it out and installed a Timken seal.  It was a tighter fit on the yoke than the National brand but about the same as the original which seamed about right.  I also measured the yoke and put it in the lathe to polish out some light scratches with 500 and 1200 grit paper for a slick finish.  There were no worn grooves in the yoke shaft.  So I don't feel it's a seal issues after 3 new ones installed. Each leaked out the drain hole in the dust boot section or out the end if I rotated the hole to 9oclock position.  The yoke appears in good shape and I don't recall any leak problems way back before any rebuilding took place.  My next step will be a new yoke but if there are any suggestions I'd like to hear them before expense of a yoke.  It only leaks while driving, not in park running or off.

alfaitalia

My last yoke seal leak that took a while to figure (Mopar but not Charger) was caused by the faintest wear band on the yoke itself. It was so fine that I could barely see it....but I could just feel the roughness with a finger nail. I bought a new one as Id ran out of ideas.....never leaked again.....so look very closely at the yoke where the seal sits.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

John_Kunkel

Be sure the leak is actually coming from the seal; there is a soft plug in the yoke that closes off the spline area and they sometimes leak and some of the soft plugs actually have a bleed hole in them that can leak fluid.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

oldcarnut

I can see it dripping out the seal hole and there's nothing collecting on the yoke end.  I didn't feel any worn spots or deep scratch grooves.  When I measured it, it seemed pretty consistent down the length.  Is it possible the sleeve in the tailshaft is not located correctly from the rebuild?