News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Time is luck, and now that luck has run out...

Started by myk, April 17, 2018, 12:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

myk

Hello Dodgecharger.com.  I know I haven't been here for a period of time, and although I want to apologize and explain myself for that, there's a pressing matter that I need your guy's help with, and there's no other group of people on this planet that can help or understand my situation better than you folks can.  

My beloved 1969 Charger has been my life vessel during the last 24 years.  We've seen so much together during the quarter century that it pains me to say that we got rear-ended last night on our way to get some gas for the ride home.  I'm reminded that no matter how careful and conscientious of a driver you are, that won't prevent someone from piling into you if fortune decides to turn itself on you.  Obviously, the logical thing to do is post pics.  I did take pictures of the car and the damage, but in all honesty it's very hard to see what's wrong unless you are about two feet away from the rear end of the car.  From what I can see, here is the list of the readily visible damage:

*lower valance panel is damaged, mostly on the right side.  
*passenger side reverse light is broken
*tail panel is cracked and pushed down on the passenger side
*passenger side tail light is cracked in half (but still functional)
*passenger side exhaust pipe was pushed underneath the car; it is now stuck on the passenger side shock absorber and rear sway bar linkage.
*passenger side, rear suspension is frozen; shock absorber can't move up and down because the exhaust pipe is jammed against it.

For what it's worth here's a picture of the rear.  Again, it's hard to see without actually being up close to the car.  

sanchez

I've already contacted Hagerty, who's covered the Charger for the last 13 years.  I'm waiting for an appraiser to come out and write up an estimate.  At this point I'm trying to think about where to take the Charger for the inevitable body work but...I don't know if some of you guys remember the hell I went through with body shops about a decade ago, so I've avoided thinking about body shops up until now.  Anyone in California have a recommendation for me?  What should I be looking for when checking out these shops?  I get uneasy just thinking about it.

Furthermore, what do some of you guys think about the damage?  Will the lower valance and tail panel need to be replaced (AGAIN) or is that something that can be smoothed out?  How much would you guys say it would cost to put this car back to it's perfectly straight condition?  Does anyone have experience with Hagerty; are they going to help me or is this going to be a struggle?  I regret dumping all of this on you guys but like I said before, I don't have anyone else that can understand the unique situation you have when a vintage car like our Chargers gets into these unfortunate situations.  I'll keep everyone updated as this situation progresses.  I will appreciate any suggestions, advice, recommendations and thoughts that will help my car through this mess.  Thanks again to everyone on DC.com for being here when we need it.  Special thanks to Dirk, Charlie, Chuck, Kern, other members and especially Ron for keeping in touch with me over the years.

PS:  here's a picture of the car that hit me, a 2014 Toyota Camry:

Driver was a 20 year old kid, whose father is now saying that they do not have collision coverage on their Toyota and that they will have to pay out of their own pockets.  Is this true?  I don't know how insurance policies work in situations like this...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

BLK 68 R/T

Dude! That totally sucks. Good luck with the repair and glad to hear from the sounds of it there were no serious injuries.

JB400

Mixed feelings for you.  Glad to see you logged back on. Long time, no see.  Sad to hear about the accident. What was the excuse of the kid that hit you? Certainly he saw you.  Our cars have one of the largest sets of tail lights.

myk

Quote from: JB400 on April 17, 2018, 01:30:58 AM
Mixed feelings for you.  Glad to see you logged back on. Long time, no see.  Sad to hear about the accident. What was the excuse of the kid that hit you? Certainly he saw you.  Our cars have one of the largest sets of tail lights.

Hey JB,  good to see you again.  Mixed feelings? Are you mad at me? Lol.  In any case:

The kid had pulled up behind me at a previous traffic light with his headlights off and texting on his phone.  Because I've spent the last 24 years worrying about getting rear ended I habitually watch anyone approaching me from that direction. 

As soon as the light turned green I took off and hung a left to make my way to a gas station. I looked behind and saw that the kid hadn't left the light yet,  probably because he was still texting on his phone and didn't see the light turn green.

I shrugged the kid off and kept driving; eventually I started my approach to the Shell station which would involve a sharp right turn into their driveway.  As soon as I began the turn I briefly saw the car I left behind at the light filling my rearview mirror right as he hit us. 

I don't know how or why, but I handled the situation pretty well.  If the kid had been older than 20 and wasn't crying for his mom and dad to help him I might have been more passionate in the moment...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

6bblgt

glad no one is hurt, but it sucks big-time to have your Charger banged up  :icon_smile_blackeye:

where in CA are you?

I believe it's - liability part of insurance is for property you damage, collision is for your own vehicle, that's why the state makes liability coverage mandatory

Hagerty should make you whole & they'll go after the other party - were the police involved?

myk

Quote from: 6bblgt on April 17, 2018, 02:13:28 AM
glad no one is hurt, but it sucks big-time to have your Charger banged up  :icon_smile_blackeye:

where in CA are you?

I believe it's - liability part of insurance is for property you damage, collision is for your own vehicle, that's why the state makes liability coverage mandatory

Hagerty should make you whole & they'll go after the other party - were the police involved?

I'm in San Diego.   There are more auto body shops here than 7-11's but I don't know who to go to.  No, the police were not involved...

TPR

Shit.
Glad to hear that you are OK.
I hope that your insurance provider and body shop do the right thing by you, and the kid gets his ass kicked.
Rough times, but you'll get through it.
TPR
1968 Dodge Charger R/T 440 - UU1 Light Blue Metallic
www.tr440.com

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: myk on April 17, 2018, 02:31:38 AM

No, the police were not involved...

Ugh that could be some bad ju-ju right there.  There wold have been police around if you would have been strangling the kid like I would have :rotz:
Always get a police report....especially when rear ended...especially when the Charger is involved.   Good luck Myk
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

myk

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 17, 2018, 04:20:45 AM

Ugh that could be some bad ju-ju right there.  There wold have been police around if you would have been strangling the kid like I would have :rotz:
Always get a police report....especially when rear ended...especially when the Charger is involved.   Good luck Myk

Should I file one now?

tan top

Hey   MYK  ,   good to see ya  :cheers: :cheers: :2thumbs:  , sorry to hear about your charger , bummer  :flame:

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

myk

How's it going TT?  Hope all is well.  Well, better than me anyway lol...

hemi68charger

Quote from: myk on April 17, 2018, 04:33:42 AM
Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on April 17, 2018, 04:20:45 AM

Should I file one now?

You need to get something........ So, the kid didn't even get a ticket? What are the laws in California? I would have never left until an officer showed up. I would have taken the license plate number of the car and exchanged information...... regarding the lack of collision on the owner of the car that hit you, either they need to understand they WILL have to pay for it or does your insurance policy cover uninsured motorists? Man, I feel for you........ But, the car can be fixed... Make sure it goes somewhere that either knows these old cars or is willing to listen to the customer. The Charger's sheetmetal back there, especially around the rear valance and side end caps can be complicated.... This is probably the best resource.. But, if your car hasn't had much work back there, the clues to putting the sheetmetal puzzle back together are right there already...

Hope the repair goes smoothly......
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Lennard

Charger-Bodie

Glad to see you back,but sucks that the circumstances aren't different.

I would file a police report.

Turn it in to Hagerty and let them fight it out. Main stream insurers don't know how to properly handle classic car claims usually.

Hagerty may even be able to suggest area shops that they've worked with in the past.

Good luck !
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

dual fours

Hi Myk, wondered where you went. Hope your Charger gets very good attention (keep us posted) and no medical problems come up on you at a later date. I should not have to tell you this, Always get a cop. Now it's you say he say. The kids phone is somehow now ''missing''.    
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

Ghoste

If his dad is now trying to weasel out of paying, this might have tobe the part where you develop a serious case of late onset whiplash.

70 sublime

Too bad this happened to your car  :eek2:

A couple times I have been in a fender bender no fault of my own
First time was on a major 4 lane highway stop and go traffic
Got rear ended by a modern Firebird
Not much damage to our mini van so did not call the cops
My trailer hitch did go right through his grill  :icon_smile_big:
I did have a sore neck a couple days later and could not figure it out but then it dawned on me when it had happened

Second time I was driving my 73 Road Runner
Long straight road with a side road coming up to it
In the distance I saw a car at the stop sign
Whole time I was thinking do not pull out in front of me
He did
Messed up one fender and around head light a bit
Was a kid driving and got phone number and info and said he would pay for the fix
Then the father got involved and I got nothing out of it in the end
He said I said
I got screwed

Good luck with your car
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Finn

I know of a bodyshop north of you by about 200ish miles. They did wonders on my 63 and just recently I saw they had a beautiful black 2nd gen charger in the shop getting something done. I am not sure how far your insurance covers but if you don't find anyone local let me know and I can go show them pictures and ask if that is something they will take on for you. Very sorry to hear about the accident, glad no one got hurt though.
1968 Dodge Charger 440, EFI, AirRide suspension
1970 Dodge Challenger RT/SE 383 magnum
1963 Plymouth Savoy 225 with a 3 on the tree.
2002 Dodge Ram 5.9L 360
2014 Dodge Dart 2.4L

Back N Black

That's too bad Myk. I am insured with Hagerty and had no problems with an accident claim. But they did want an accident report filed with the police.

comet_666

Man dude, sorry to hear about this!
I would file a police report, I have been hit a few times (not in my charger) and ALWAYS get one. People try to pull some serious BS.
Good thing is now there are replacement parts for your car!

myk

Appreciate all the support and feedback guys.  Even though it's two days later I will try to file a police report now.  So do you guys think those panels are going to have to be cut out?  With the appraiser coming in about an hour or so I guess I'll get an official diagnosis...

Ponch ®

Filing a police report is a waste of time. 1) it's after the fact; 2) the LEO taking down the facts being reported did not witness what happened, so it's inadmissible hearsay; 3) the important thing is to report it to the insurance company.

And yes, it doesn't make sense for the dad to claim that the kid has insurance but no collision coverage. All drivers are required by law to have at least liability insurance and this is precisely the type of situation it's supposed to cover.

As someone already mentioned, it is generally better to let insurance handle it and let them seek reimbursement from the other driver/their insurance co.*

Otherwise, the other driver can be pursued in small claims for any deficiencies/out of pocket costs that are not covered by insurance.*

*none of the above should be construed as legal advise specific to your situation, it's merely a general commentary.  :icon_smile_big:
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

myk

Yeah Hagerty told me as much.  Well the appraiser came out and did his thing, now I have to wait for them to get back to me with an estimate.   Offhand he's recommending tail panel, lower valance, and obviously replacement of the lights.   He also pointed out that the gas tank needs to be replaced; I didn't even notice it was dented.  Oi vey...

Charger-Bodie

The accident report will do good if  both parties cop to their involvement. The longer time goes by the more tempted they will be to lie
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Derwud

Sorry about the car, good to see you back.

His insurance won't pay for his car.. But will pay for yours.. Like someone else said, hand it over to Haggerty and let them deal with it..
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981