News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Time is luck, and now that luck has run out...

Started by myk, April 17, 2018, 12:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred

Quote from: RECHRGD on April 17, 2018, 02:39:47 PM
Sorry about that Myk!  That's everyone's nightmare on this board.  I'm almost scared to drive my car anymore.  I've had too many close calls in recent years caused by texting or otherwise distracted drivers......

x2 :'(

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

myk

Quote from: Fred on April 18, 2018, 09:38:14 PM
Sorry about that Myk!  That’s everyone’s nightmare on this board.  I’m almost scared to drive my car anymore.  I’ve had too many close calls in recent years caused by texting or otherwise distracted drivers......

I'm going to have additional body work done on the car while it's in dry dock, mainly the doors and straightening out my grille that I could never figure out. I think I'll finally get that tail stripe too!  The charger will be better than before but.....now I'm not so sure I'll be driving it as much anymore. 

It's funny, because I look back when I first got the car in 1994 in my college days.  I worked at McDonald's to support the car and life was good!  I daily drove the Charger, took it to the beach, went to school and work with it, partied in it, drove through rush hour traffic in it, went to funerals, weddings, baby showers, took it to Disneyland,  slept, ate and basically lived in the car and thought nothing of it.  HELL I remember a time when a bunch of us at a college dorm gathered around the car; sitting around it, in it, "on top of it" and we took a group photo.  I wish I had that picture for the memories, but also as a reminder of how young and carefree I was with the Charger.   And dont even get me started with the street racing stuff.

Fast forward to now: the Charger is in the best shape it's been since I bought it 24 years ago.  People don't call it a "bomber" anymore and actually call it a "very nice car," even though I think it has a long way to go before I can personally consider it nice.  But, now I find myself not having fun with it any more.  Now, it's become a source of stress.  Caring, maintaining, modifying, tuning and securing the car have made ownership of the car a more menial and stressful task as opposed to the reckless yet FUN days I had with it when I was in my roaring 20's.  And now with this accident I have to really look at how the roads have changed over the last 3 decades.  The roads themselves are full of more potholes and damage,  perfect when you're driving an unforgiving Hotchkiss suspension.   But it's the drivers and the congestion, the danger they cause! 

I used to talk down to people who didn't drive their special interest vehicles because, cars were made to be driven!  "You're stupid if you don't daily drive your 1965 Shelby Cobra 427" was my attitude.  But now,  I totally get why people don't drive their special interest vehicles all too much.   With all of the blood, sweat, tears, dollars and sacrifices that go into our cars,  why leave it up to some texting, tide pod eating teeny bopper to destroy everything you've worked so hard for?  The stress anticipating and the heartache after an incident is just too much in my opinion.  My Hagerty agent was telling me that after he was going to get off of the phone with me, he was going to tell another Charger owner in Indiana who also got rear ended, that the car his deceased father had passed down to him was going to be declared totaled, a complete loss.  Can you imagine the sorrow? 

I don't know what's going to happen when I get the car back.  Maybe I'll learn to live with the fear of yet another accident happening.   Maybe I'll just trailer the car to show and shine car gatherings and forget the cruises.  Maybe I'll park the car in storage indefinitely and buy a 5.0 Mustang instead.  All I know is that everything; the Charger, the world and definitely I have changed, and nothing is as simple or carefree as sitting on the roof of your 60's era classic muscle car to take a picture with your friends anymore...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

garner7555

Very well said MYK.   There is a lot of truth to what you are saying.   As we get older we start to consider the "what if".   It can take some of the fun out of it, but it can also keep us alive because that is actually called wisdom.   I have the same fears about my car, I think we all do.   I personally have decided to just make sure I have adequate insurance coverage and hope for the best.   I'm not saying this is what everyone else should do, only giving my personal thoughts and plans.

I posted it on the previous page but I will post it again here because I think any owner who drives their car should consider this upgrade just to be more noticeable to the morons that are behind you.

https://digi-tails.com/1969-1970-dodge-charger-led-tail-light-panels

https://digi-tails.com/1968-dodge-charger-led-tail-light-panels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUj5P_v1psc
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Derwud

Quote from: garner7555 on April 19, 2018, 06:47:44 AM
Very well said MYK.   There is a lot of truth to what you are saying.   As we get older we start to consider the "what if".   It can take some of the fun out of it, but it can also keep us alive because that is actually called wisdom.   I have the same fears about my car, I think we all do.   I personally have decided to just make sure I have adequate insurance coverage and hope for the best.   I'm not saying this is what everyone else should do, only giving my personal thoughts and plans.

I posted it on the previous page but I will post it again here because I think any owner who drives their car should consider this upgrade just to be more noticeable to the morons that are behind you.

I liked those tail lights, but they just don't do it for me anymore.. They kind of ruin what I like most about the 69-70 lights. I like their 68 lights.. A third brake light would be a better item than those tail lights. But, they are all for not if the Plumber doesn't put down his phone before plowing into your new Mazda 3..
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

RECHRGD

Quote from: myk on April 19, 2018, 02:32:09 AM
Quote from: Fred on April 18, 2018, 09:38:14 PM
Sorry about that Myk!  That's everyone's nightmare on this board.  I'm almost scared to drive my car anymore.  I've had too many close calls in recent years caused by texting or otherwise distracted drivers......

I'm going to have additional body work done on the car while it's in dry dock, mainly the doors and straightening out my grille that I could never figure out. I think I'll finally get that tail stripe too!  The charger will be better than before but.....now I'm not so sure I'll be driving it as much anymore. 

It's funny, because I look back when I first got the car in 1994 in my college days.  I worked at McDonald's to support the car and life was good!  I daily drove the Charger, took it to the beach, went to school and work with it, partied in it, drove through rush hour traffic in it, went to funerals, weddings, baby showers, took it to Disneyland,  slept, ate and basically lived in the car and thought nothing of it.  HELL I remember a time when a bunch of us at a college dorm gathered around the car; sitting around it, in it, "on top of it" and we took a group photo.  I wish I had that picture for the memories, but also as a reminder of how young and carefree I was with the Charger.   And dont even get me started with the street racing stuff.

Fast forward to now: the Charger is in the best shape it's been since I bought it 24 years ago.  People don't call it a "bomber" anymore and actually call it a "very nice car," even though I think it has a long way to go before I can personally consider it nice.  But, now I find myself not having fun with it any more.  Now, it's become a source of stress.  Caring, maintaining, modifying, tuning and securing the car have made ownership of the car a more menial and stressful task as opposed to the reckless yet FUN days I had with it when I was in my roaring 20's.  And now with this accident I have to really look at how the roads have changed over the last 3 decades.  The roads themselves are full of more potholes and damage,  perfect when you're driving an unforgiving Hotchkiss suspension.   But it's the drivers and the congestion, the danger they cause! 

I used to talk down to people who didn't drive their special interest vehicles because, cars were made to be driven!  "You're stupid if you don't daily drive your 1965 Shelby Cobra 427" was my attitude.  But now,  I totally get why people don't drive their special interest vehicles all too much.   With all of the blood, sweat, tears, dollars and sacrifices that go into our cars,  why leave it up to some texting, tide pod eating teeny bopper to destroy everything you've worked so hard for?  The stress anticipating and the heartache after an incident is just too much in my opinion.  My Hagerty agent was telling me that after he was going to get off of the phone with me, he was going to tell another Charger owner in Indiana who also got rear ended, that the car his deceased father had passed down to him was going to be declared totaled, a complete loss.  Can you imagine the sorrow? 

I don't know what's going to happen when I get the car back.  Maybe I'll learn to live with the fear of yet another accident happening.   Maybe I'll just trailer the car to show and shine car gatherings and forget the cruises.  Maybe I'll park the car in storage indefinitely and buy a 5.0 Mustang instead.  All I know is that everything; the Charger, the world and definitely I have changed, and nothing is as simple or carefree as sitting on the roof of your 60's era classic muscle car to take a picture with your friends anymore...

I'm right there with you Myk.  I've had mine for 21 years now and have just turned 70.  For me, the car was mostly a returning to my youth thing, as I had a new one in '68.  I've loved driving it and all the positive attention received while doing so.  Maybe it's just me, but people's driving skills seem to be just going in the toilet as of late.  Attitudes seem to be changing also.  Yes, all the thumbs ups and "great car" comments are still there and appreciated.  But now I run into more aggressive drivers while in the car than ever before.  Maybe it's jealousy (as the value of these cars increase) or misplaced anger at an old fart driving a planet killing machine.  I still enjoy driving the car as much as ever, but have become very tired of the occasional tailgater and even getting cut off at times.....
13.53 @ 105.32

socalcharger

thats why i leave to driving mine usually only on sundays when the socal freeways and streets are a little lighter in traffic then during the week.

HANDM

Quote from: Derwud on April 19, 2018, 07:33:05 AM

I liked those tail lights, but they just don't do it for me anymore.. They kind of ruin what I like most about the 69-70 lights. I like their 68 lights.. A third brake light would be a better item than those tail lights. But, they are all for not if the Plumber doesn't put down his phone before plowing into your new Mazda 3..

^^^ This 1000% Doesn't matter how many lights and how bright they are. You can paint your car day glow pink and put christmas tree lights all over it and it still wouldn't matter when a texter is looking at their phone rather than what's ahead.

Just yesterday a dipshit in a tesla on the freeway doing 70 was looking at his phone more than the road.....
I promply flipped him off for being a self centered, holier than thou, government subsidized electric car driver which of course he didn't see for the reason stated above  :flame:   ::)

Derwud

When I drive my E-Type, I spend way to much time looking in the rear view mirror... I could just see getting decapitated by some soccer Mom in her Slade while checking her Make-up...

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: HANDM on April 19, 2018, 12:48:38 PM
Quote from: Derwud on April 19, 2018, 07:33:05 AM

^^^ This 1000% Doesn't matter how many lights and how bright they are. You can paint your car day glow pink and put christmas tree lights all over it and it still wouldn't matter when a texter is looking at their phone rather than what's ahead.

Just yesterday a dipshit in a tesla on the freeway doing 70 was looking at his phone more than the road.....
I promply flipped him off for being a self centered, holier than thou, government subsidized electric car driver which of course he didn't see for the reason stated above  :flame:   ::)

Brighter lights do help for the people who are paying attention though.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

myk

I'll consider the LED lights, but I'm definitely going with the 3rd brake light.  The guy who does the heavy work on my car suggested I add a 3rd brake light years ago, but I just laughed it off.  I know lighting tricks wouldn't have helped me Sunday night, but it might help other times.  Then again, if someone can notice the lights ahead of them, LED or stock,  wouldn't they be aware of me period? 

Bodie do you run LED tail lights as well?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: myk on April 19, 2018, 02:38:05 PM
I'll consider the LED lights, but I'm definitely going with the 3rd brake light.  The guy who does the heavy work on my car suggested I add a 3rd brake light years ago, but I just laughed it off.  I know lighting tricks wouldn't have helped me Sunday night, but it might help other times.  Then again, if someone can notice the lights ahead of them, LED or stock,  wouldn't they be aware of me period? 

Bodie do you run LED tail lights as well?

I have them in both of My 68 Chargers. My 69 Is very stock style so i didnt as of yet.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

Derwud

MY LED replacement bulbs. And this running of a 12 volt drill battery.

myk

That...is bright.  So what, you just swap the innards inside of the housing, or something? 

charger500440

Quote from: myk on April 17, 2018, 10:58:35 AM
Appreciate all the support and feedback guys.  Even though it's two days later I will try to file a police report now.  So do you guys think those panels are going to have to be cut out?  With the appraiser coming in about an hour or so I guess I'll get an official diagnosis...

First of all, as long as you're not hurt the rest can be taken care of. I've been an auto physical damage appraiser for over 20 years. The damage to your Charger, while heart breaking, appears not to be too severe. Things to look for: does the trunk open and close as it did before, are the trunk and door gaps the same as before? I suspect the doors are OK but with unibody cars, especially ones built nearly 50 years ago, the damage will travel through the car. Sometimes where you wouldn't expect it. If you don't have any luck finding a shop you trust, let me know. I'm located in the Northeast but I know other appraisers in SoCal who will know some good collision repair shops in your area. Keep in mind, most really good collision shops prefer NOT to work on older cars (at least on the East Coast that's how things usually go). So you often need to look for shops that can do unibody collision work, can paint just about anything and don't mind working on cars older than 10 years old.

As for getting a police report, you will want to get one. Always, always get the police to the scene of an accident. You did nothing wrong and you have nothing to lose, other than an hour of your time. By not getting a police report, you open yourself up to getting a call from local police (or your insurance company) in a couple of weeks because some guy is claiming you backed into his car. You just never know, so protect yourself.

Hope that helps a little. Again, the damage does not appear too bad, I'd guess it's around $4K-$5K from I can see in your photo. The lower valence can be straightened, anything can be straightened, but is it really worth straightening? AMD panel plus labor, may just be easier to replace it. Take solace in the fact that it could have been much worse.

Feel free to contact me with any questions...

Mike
1969 SE  383 Automatic
1969 500 440 Automatic

Derwud

Quote from: myk on April 19, 2018, 03:57:00 PM
That...is bright.  So what, you just swap the innards inside of the housing, or something? 

Just replacement bulbs from M4Led. Just tell Steve you want the Derwud Tail light special..

http://m4products.com

Kern Dog

Myk, I know a guy that drives his 1969 Coronet R/T as if it were 1973. Rain, wind, traffic, desolate highways with no gas stations for a hundred miles. He takes it to shows, cruise ins, daily drives it and has a great time. He owns a 2009 Challenger but it only has 14,000 miles on it. This is a guy that is living the dream, enjoying the car and enjoying life.
Don't let this change you. Let it be a reality check but don't let it stop you from enjoying the car. I understand how you feel but it is repairable. If it gets bent again, FIX it again. With some of the crazy car builds I've seen, the car would have to be wadded up really bad for an enthusiast to consider it a "total loss".
I am trying to adopt the mentality of my Coronet buddy with my car. They were not built to sit in the shed wasting away.

Derwud

I know that Coronet guy... He is a Crazy Sum-B.... But yes, drive it like you own it and insure like you want to keep it!

JR

Sorry about the bad luck MYK, but if you've been driving it since 1994, and this is your first accident, I'd say that's a great run of luck. Making it 20 plus years with no incidents is awesome, and it looks like the car can be repaired better than before.

Another idea about the led taillights. Im not a fan of the multiple led dots that are visible in those aftermarket tails, but I have an idea. There is a semi transparent, light diffusing film used in plasma (?) televisions that is clear enough to let light through, but opaque enough to blur the bulbs behind it and distort the light. Basically making it look like one wall of bright light instead of rows of LEDs. Im kicking around the idea of those led lights too, and plan on using those sheets with them to keep it looking more "classic." I would just have to install the sheet of film in between the taillamp lens and the led strip. Easy.

If I can find a post of someone using it, I'll post a pic. It's a way for you to have brighter brake lights with a more classic look.  I was going to wait and make a thread on the subject after I had the bulbs, but it seems like a helpful spot to post if if anyone is considering the idea. If you want to look it up, it's simply called "light diffusing film".
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

TexasStroker

Sorry to see that...it is a shame more and more people driving distracted and oblivious of the potential havoc they can cause...destruction of property, loss of life, etc.  Had you been on a motorcycle it could have been much worse for you; if the kid rear ended a tanker truck it could have been far worse for his personal vehicle. 

That said, it looks like Hagery is taking care of things and working towards a quick resolution...the shop sounds decent, might drop in fairly often just to "check in" so you can keep tabs on parts arriving, repairs being done, etc.  If that isn't your style, you could leave a camera and ask them to document things.  If you are making use of the downtime and giving them the extra work with the doors/grill it seems like they would do their best to take care of you for the positive word of mouth and to earn any future business.  It is increasingly difficult to find a body shop that likes doing "cool" stuff over collision work, but maybe they are the ones that get more enjoyment from putting tail stripes and painting new hoods for people.  Maybe you'll get the collision stuff taken care of, add a few other upgrades, and wind up having a solid body shop connection for the future?

As for the concerns, I totally get it.  I would do my best to not let it detract from your previous lifestyle.  You seem to be the most happy with the car driving it, I'd stick to that.  The sad reality is that even if you hop in a different car, it can just as easily be rear ended when someone else isn't paying attention.  If you own a car, chances are it is because you like it.  So while having a Jeep rear ended might not be as stressful as the Charger, it would still suck.  And with more parts on the market, you have a little worry eliminated with the Charger.

Either way, hopefully the repairs go well and the body shop turns out to be good for you and the Charger.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

stripedelete

Self driving cars can't get here soon enough for me.   Then they "stay connected" all they want.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: stripedelete on April 21, 2018, 07:49:43 AM
Self driving cars can't get here soon enough for me.   Then they "stay connected" all they want.

Something tells me "self driving vehicles" will be just as bad as texting/drunk/inattentive/inexperienced/etc/etc drivers, just another road hazard to avoid and navigate around

Kern Dog

No.
This is another step towards Government control of the people. Facebook was a sneaky and clever way to gather information on people. Welfare is also another way to control minds and voter biases. Self driving cars will create yet another form of dependence.
Idiots are surrendering their freedoms one by one and will surely look back one day wondering HOW they got where they are, literally and figuratively.

stripedelete

Quote from: Kern Dog on April 21, 2018, 12:05:24 PM

No.
This is another step towards Government control of the people. Facebook was a sneaky and clever way to gather information on people. Welfare is also another way to control minds and voter biases. Self driving cars will create yet another form of dependence.
Idiots are surrendering their freedoms one by one and will surely look back one day wondering HOW they got where they are, literally and figuratively.

It's already "game over".  We just need to die so no one remembers the "before time":). Smart cars will just be "piling on".  Credit cards and smart phones have done the heavy lifting (and of course Facebook).   Getting rid of cash that's stick-a-fork-in-it.   But, all this is for another thread.   

Btw, the kick in the pants will be higher insurance rates for those of us who choose to drive.

Ghoste

Quote from: Kern Dog on April 21, 2018, 12:05:24 PM

No.

I agree 100%.