News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Time is luck, and now that luck has run out...

Started by myk, April 17, 2018, 12:17:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Derwud

I have a set of tail light buckets for anyone that wants to do the FULL LED change on a 69 or 70 Charger.
1970 Dodge Charger R/T.. Owned since 1981

myk

Just an update.

16 days later and nothing has happened to the car in the shop other than a bunch of green marks on the damaged panels in the back.  Oh and there's the complimentary 1 inch layer of dust all over the car because that's the rent price of living in a body shop.  My personal favorite is that they left my windows open so now the restored interior that I've kept spotless for years is now ash grey instead of shiny black.

In any case,  they're now asking me to find two replacement tail lights and backup lights.  They don't want me to buy them, they just want me to tell them where they are so they can buy them; presumably so they can mark them up and have Hagerty pay more than they should.   The shop is insisting on OEM only, they don't want to use reproductions like I can find on ebay all day long.

Is there any reason to this?  They're trying to make it seem like using only OEM pieces is a matter of life and death and that's why they haven't touched the car yet, but personally I find it hard to believe that the reproductions aren't good enough?  So what say you guys?  Do I tell these guys to go with the reproductions or do I need to hold out for OEM parts?  Thanks again...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Charger-Bodie

If they treat your car that way right out of the gate ,I'd get it out of there and take it elsewhere.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

myk

Quote from: Charger-Bodie on May 04, 2018, 06:10:04 PM
If they treat your car that way right out of the gate ,I'd get it out of there and take it elsewhere.

That's what I'm thinking right now.  I called them out on it and they apologized.  They promised to have the car professionally detailed but still...its the principle of the matter.

Bodie what's your take on the reproduction tail and backup lights?  I bet they're as good or better than the originals...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Derwud

Quote from: myk on May 04, 2018, 06:14:13 PM

That's what I'm thinking right now.  I called them out on it and they apologized.  They promised to have the car professionally detailed but still...its the principle of the matter.

Bodie what's your take on the reproduction tail and backup lights?  I bet they're as good or better than the originals...

I wonder if it is Hagerty that is pushing on the OE thing..

myk

Quote from: Derwud on May 04, 2018, 07:25:28 PM
Quote from: myk on May 04, 2018, 06:14:13 PM

Why would they do that?  From what I can tell OEM pieces will cost twice as much, look half as good and take three times as long to be found...
I wonder if it is Hagerty that is pushing on the OE thing..

JR

Sounds like the shop is disrespecting your time and property. I'd pull it from them and find another one.

And also, I would love for the Bodyshop to explain where you're expected to find an OE valence for a 69 Charger. The only way you'll ever find one is to search the web for years to find the guy with an N.O.S. one stored in a basement somewhere.

Bodyshops are hell. And this is coming from a former body man.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Charger-Bodie

Not all body shops are hell..........  repop back up lights are pretty nice.  As for the tail lights I don't have any experience with repop of those.
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

myk

Quote from: JR on May 04, 2018, 07:54:30 PM
Sounds like the shop is disrespecting your time and property. I'd pull it from them and find another one.

And also, I would love for the Bodyshop to explain where you're expected to find an OE valence for a 69 Charger. The only way you'll ever find one is to search the web for years to find the guy with an N.O.S. one stored in a basement somewhere.

Bodyshops are hell. And this is coming from a former body man.

Yeah I hear ya.  Well now they want to FIX the lower valance and tail panel instead of replacing them; I think I'm OK with that but I think they're wasting their time with the OEM tail and reverse lights they want me to find.  Unless you guys say otherwise I think the reproductions should be adequate...

Mike DC

Body shops are used to demanding OEM parts for newer cars.  In that case it merely raises the prices a bit and doesn't cause any huge difficulty.  Also, it costs them nothing to tell somebody else to find them a rarer part. 

You'll just have to fight that battle with them.  Or take it to some other shop perhaps. 

myk

So should I try to find OEM tail and reverse lights or just tell them to go with repro's?

Derwud

They and Hagerty are trying to avoid really cheap knock off parts.. OEM, or OE Authorized vs. E-Flay crap..

Daytona R/T SE

This would have prevented the dust problem:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Clear-Plastic-Temporary-Universal-Disposable-Car-Cover-Rain-Dust-Garage-Cover-C/190667731186?hash=item2c64aeb0f2:g:ErMAAOSwp0paoY60

I have several of these and they work well for the price.

The shop should have provided something like this to protect your car from body shop filth. :Twocents:

As far as the taillights go...

I think they're stalling you.

They've got your car held captive, they have no intention of working on it for some time, so they send you on a wild goose chase looking for OEM parts while they slap together a few dozen more wrecked Hyundais for the quick insurance checks...

Meanwhile you're stuck waiting, while your car rots in body shop Hell...

69rtse4spd

Sorry to here this, just sold my N.O.S. lights last year after 30 plus years of having them. If it was a 68 N.O.S. tail light panel, I would have you covered.   

DAY CLONA

Time to find a properly recommended shop in your area if you can't perform the work yourself, ....I'd be livid if my property was treated like a salvage auction parts vehicle covered in bondo/paint dust, never mind the interior exposed to it as well, if this is their work ethic, I can just imagine the grade of repair

Sorry but I abhor body shops that let any vehicle/parts get covered in shit, plastic car bags/covers are cheaper than detailing a vehicle later on, plus it speaks volumes of a shops work habits, work and appreciation of a customers vehicle/property...

Kern Dog

Good used taillights are not that hard to find, are they?

myk

All the ones I saw on ebay don't look better than the ones I have on right now.  I'd keep mine except the bezel is loose on the left side and the right side lens is now cracked in half vertically.  

Question: the lens are cracked but the housing for both lights are OK.  Can't I just buy the lens and call it a day or do I have to buy the entire tail light assembly including the housings?

Mopar Nut

BE&A repop tail lights are missing the argent silver accent stripe painted horizontally across the center of the lens.
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

Mopar Nut

Classic Industries repop tail lights HAVE the argent silver accent stripe painted horizontally across the center of the lens. They look pretty good to me. Classic has a 30% off going on code MTR18
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

myk

Wow thanks so much for the information.  So, I don't have to buy the entire assembly, just the lens correct?

Edit: damn, they're backordered...

Mopar Nut

Quote from: myk on May 05, 2018, 03:00:30 AM
 So, I don't have to buy the entire assembly, just the lens correct?
Yes, I sent Classic an email asking when will they be available, if I don't hear anything i'll call.

myk

Quote from: Mopar Nut on May 05, 2018, 02:57:53 PM
Quote from: myk on May 05, 2018, 03:00:30 AM
 So, I don't have to buy the entire assembly, just the lens correct?
Yes, I sent Classic an email asking when will they be available, if I don't hear anything i'll call.

I will do the same.  Thanks again...

Mike DC

Do any of the repro '69 taillight lenses not have the 1970-style backup lenses faintly visible in them?  A few years ago the '69 repops all had that problem. 

draftingmonkey

From the City of  San Diego web site:

What should I do if I'm involved in an accident?
The San Diego Police Department responds only to injury and hit-and-run accidents. If it is a minor hit-and-run, you may be directed to the nearest police substation to complete a report. If it is a property damage accident, you should exchange information with the other driver. Information should include: name, address, insurance information, driver's license number, date of birth, phone number, owner of the vehicle, owner's address, vehicle year, vehicle make and model, vehicle license number and state. Also note the date, time and location of the accident. Notify your insurance company of the accident.

https://www.sandiego.gov/police/services/faqs/traffic

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 05, 2018, 04:52:25 PM

Do any of the repro '69 taillight lenses not have the 1970-style backup lenses faintly visible in them?  A few years ago the '69 repops all had that problem. 

The ones from BE&A did, you can see it now just faintly in the picture.