News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What constitutes a “restored” car anymore?

Started by RECHRGD, April 17, 2018, 03:12:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

I've had my car over 20 years now and it looks as good or better than most of these 'restored' cars on the market for obnoxious money.  My paint is 18 years old but still looks great.  I can't say that the car has been restored at any given date.  It's an ongoing project that never gets done.  I've built it the way I wanted to, changed things, modified things and improved upon things in every aspect of the car.  I know at some point I'll be parting with it, and therefore keep looking at ads to keep up on current prices.  I see the term 'professionally restored' or just 'restored' on such and such date over and over.  When you really critique the photos on these ads, it amazes me what people are passing off as restored cars.  In my mind, a shiny paint job directly over rusted body parts doesn't do it.  Dirty blacked out engine bays don't do it, if they even show an open hood.  Yellowed and missing gauges doesn't do it.  Pitted and scratched bright parts don't get it.  I could go on and on, but you get my point.  I'm talking about cars that people are asking 40 to 60K for.  And when you find a really nice car that fits it's description, the sky is the limit.  I know that some of the sellers are victims of the Barrett Jackson syndrome but, geeze really! 
13.53 @ 105.32

DAY CLONA

I don't think any vehicle can be said that it's truly restored, restoring is when all the original components/paint included are reconditioned back to original "shape" by manipulating their condition/appearance back to original, not replacing them...  most vehicles are "refurbished" with replacement drive line parts, panels, glass, interior components being replaced, the vehicle repainted, etc, etc...hence refurbished, not really "restored"

RECHRGD

Quote from: DAY CLONA on April 17, 2018, 03:41:34 PM
I don't think any vehicle can be said that it's truly restored, restoring is when all the original components/paint included are reconditioned back to original "shape" by manipulating their condition/appearance back to original, not replacing them...  most vehicles are "refurbished" with replacement drive line parts, panels, glass, interior components being replaced, the vehicle repainted, etc, etc...hence refurbished, not really "restored"

Yes, you're right.  Most the these cars, including the nice ones, are nowhere near what they were when originally sold......
13.53 @ 105.32

303 Mopar

I usually find the people that claim "car was fully restored" have no idea what they are talking about. Much like the people that say a Mopar had a "frame-off restoration".  The people that either worked on their car or know exactly what was done to their car will have a list of items with pictures.  Replaced qtr panels/trunk floor/fender, repainted in 20xx, new shocks, engine/trans rebuilt xxxx miles ago, etc. 
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

green69rt

I guess if someone said they restored a car (and I really was interested) I'd ask if they restored it to original factory condition or something else.  Most don't have a clue as to what a "restoration" consists of.  I used to say that I'm restoring my car till I thought about it then for a while I said I was building an old car with modifications, then noticed that a lot of folks eyes started to glaze over as I explained.   Then after a while I realized that few of the folks I talk to, about the car, realize what the differences are between a restoration, restomod, hot rod, etc.  So now I just say restoration unless someone wants details.  Life is too short to worry about some issues.  

I guess I'd have to call mine a resurrection.   :lol:

And just for good measure:( my car is #1)

1. To bring back into existence or use; reestablish such as restore law and order.
2. To bring back to an original or normal condition: such as restored the patient to health.

RallyeMike

Every time a put a car back in the garage it's "re-stored" until the the next time I drive it.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

Back N Black

Look at all the restoration shops with their own TV show that claim to do 100% restorations. I see a lot of shit not restored that the owner/buyer cannot see when the car is completed. I think most are ignorant to the fact and just see the oblivious shiny paint and new interior. I know I did a better job restoring my charger in my 2 bay garage. :Twocents: