News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

External trans cooler in nosecone location

Started by oldcarnut, April 17, 2018, 11:30:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

I'm going to mount an external transmission cooler on my clone.  I already have an a/c condenser in front of the radiator and don't think it will be a good idea to add more blockage to it so I'm thinking of mounting it with a 10" fan in the passenger nosecone side behind the parking light.  Seems like the fan should draw enough air through the opening (500 cfm) to cool ok.  My radiator temp is running up to 220. Since I'm running a stall convertor it may be running it up some on the radiator, as a guess.  Rebuild shop said it would be good idea to run the external cooler.   Temps only get hot when driving after about ten miles so I haven't run it much further to see how far it will go.  However, it will idle long periods, even with ac on without going hot.  Anybody try this in theirs or maybe a different way?

kevs1969daytona

Mine over heats too, but my nose cone was completely sealed when I got it.  But only overheats when slowed down in traffic, when driving it goes back down to about 190.   Please post your finding as this might work for me. I am considering running straight water with water wetter as well and change with antifreeze when I park it for the winter.  Hopefully when the grill goes in it will stop overheating.  But your idea make sense :popcrn:

oldcarnut

I'm running just under a 20" 7 blade fan, extreme duty fan clutch, 3 core rad with shroud, and have springs in the hose.  The more time and speed I gain, the higher the temps go but when slow down or idle they drop.  Kinda opposite of what I'd expect. It has no problem sucking a rag into the nosecone hanging in front of the grill.  I had a 160 t-stat that had 4ea additional 1/4" holes drilled around the perimeter. It flowed a lot of water which may be a contributor so I'm  going back to a 180 with just an 1/8"  bypass hole drilled in it. Even though a pusher fan helps more at slow speed,  I still may go with one in front if all this fails to correct so that's part of the reason I'm looking to not mount the cooler in front of the ac condenser.

moparstuart

Mine did that faster i went the higher the temp went up  ,  bought two pusher fans out of a 99  Cad Catera at pick in pull they push ton of air and have a build in shroud with weather stripe on it for a great seal .  Never had over heating problems again .    And then once i put the manual trans in it the temp dropped down to 160 all the time
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

moparstuart

:popcrn: :popcrn: :popcrn: and they fit perfectly in my nose on my condenser  , they sound like a jet engine when you fire them up with the car turned off . 
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE