News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

3-Speed AT 727 Torqueflight - Too much oil dangerous?

Started by rollo1504, April 20, 2018, 02:12:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollo1504

Hello guys!

Today I have checked the oil in my tranny and I think I have way too much oil in the tranny....

Please have a look at the enclosed pic.

Not sure if you can see it on the pic but the oil level is up to where the red line is....

I can not explain how this could happen but it actually is like that.... :o :o :o :o :o

So my question as a very beginner mechanic: Is it dangerous to have too much oil in the tranny like that?

Thanks for your help....

Regards

Roland

Bob

Was the car running and in park when you checked it?

rollo1504

BLK 68 R/T

Check it with it idling in neutral and see where it sits.

mopar0166

Short answer is yes.   to low or high causes damage.

rollo1504

How much oil (in litres or gallons) should be put into the tranny?

Does someone know this or can provide a link?

thanks

justcruisin

About 5 quarts plus converter if it has a standard pan. Converter capacity will depend on size. additional capacity required if it has a stand alone cooler. If you pull the pan and drain the oil a good amount will stay in the converter. If I'm changing the filter and fluid I just put 5 Quarts in it,  and go off the stick - idle in neutral, then add what it needs. I wouldn't wait until it gets hot before you check it.

bee1971

Quote from: BLK 68 R/T on April 20, 2018, 02:33:07 PM
Check it with it idling in neutral and see where it sits.

THIS

Says right on dipstick

Check When Hot - Idling In Neutral

rollo1504

Hey Guys!

Today I checked it again with idling in neutral and hot and now it tells thats just a little bit BELOW the MIN line....

:o :o :o :o

Thats a huge difference to it when it sits and is off

Regards

BTW: Former owner installed a stand alone cooler

John_Kunkel

When it sits for a while the fluid in the converter drains into the pan and the fluid level rises. (Perfectly normal) When running in Neutral the converter refills and the fluid level is then normal.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

rollo1504

I was really surprised as the Oil Level of the cars I know so far here in Austria is supposed to be measured when the car is OFF and sits for a while...

To measure it hot when idling was the very first time i saw this

::) ::) ::)

But again thank you all guys for the explanations

Regards

John_Kunkel

Engine OIL level is always checked with the engine off. Auto transmission FLUID is checked with the engine running because of the drain back phenomenon I mentioned earlier.

I don't claim to know every auto trans, both domestic and foreign, but I know of no auto trans that isn't checked while running.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

rollo1504

Thanks John for the detailed explanation!

Thats why I am a computer nerd who really tries to gain knowledge in the mechanical field...

I am sorry for my dumb questions and I admit not to have big knowledge in mechanics but I am trying.

I have never dealt with trannies before I could get my first Mopar.....

Have a good time!

Roland

PS: More strange questions will come up for sure very soon and hopefully nobody in this forum will get irritated.....