News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Looking for a company that sells power booster/MC set up

Started by NHCharger, April 22, 2018, 10:55:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NHCharger

As the title says. I bought an after market brake set up for my 69 to convert from power drums to power front disc with rear drums. I've had hardly any brake after numerous bleedings. I pinched off the rears, no difference. Pinched off the fronts, still no pedal. My mechanic said either MC or excessive rod travel. I called the company I purchased the unit from. Since I bought it several years ago but just installed it I'm out of warranty. I'm not going to buy anymore product from them.

So any suggestions on some reputable aftermarket companies, or suggestions for some re-manned units??
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

NHCharger

Thanks Charlie. Didn't know they carried that. Looks like they have what I need.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

resq302

Who was the company that you got the brake stuff from?  Is it the correct Bendix style brake booster?

Also, when I redid my Dad's brakes in his GTX, I pressure bled the system and thought I had all the air out only to take the car for a ride and have a really crappy pedal.  Threw it back up on the lift and rebled the brakes and couldn't believe the amount of air that was still in the system.  Much better after the second time.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto

John_Kunkel

Quote from: NHCharger on April 22, 2018, 10:55:36 AM
I bought an after market brake set up for my 69 to convert from power drums to power front disc with rear drums. 

Exactly what parts were included in the setup you bought?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

NHCharger

Quote from: John_Kunkel on April 23, 2018, 01:16:27 PM
I bought an after market brake set up for my 69 to convert from power drums to power front disc with rear drums. 

Exactly what parts were included in the setup you bought?

Front rotors, calipers, rubber brakes lines, power booster, MC, proportioning valve, adjustable metering valve for rear drums, misc. odds and ends. Same kit I purchased for my 68 4 years earlier.
I also replaced the rest of the brake lines.
I ordered some parts from Dr. Diff. I found some used stuff but for the prices they want decided to go new. I have too much $$ into this build to cheap out on brakes and/or trust 40+ year old parts.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

TommyGun

Just curious have you verified the booster pushrod is adjusted correctly?

NHCharger

72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

cdr

I have found that with power brakes, it helps to have the car running when you bleed the brakes, push the pedal slow.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

DAY CLONA

As the title says. I bought an after market brake set up for my 69 to convert from power drums to power front disc with rear drums. I've had hardly any brake after numerous bleedings. I pinched off the rears, no difference. Pinched off the fronts, still no pedal. My mechanic said either MC or excessive rod travel. I called the company I purchased the unit from. Since I bought it several years ago but just installed it I'm out of warranty. I'm not going to buy anymore product from them.

So any suggestions on some reputable aftermarket companies, or suggestions for some re-manned units??

Rather than just throw parts at it, and still have the same issue, perhaps there's something you've overlooked? did you bench bleed the master before install, did you set the correct air gap on the booster to master pushrod? are you still using a distribution block or a proportioning valve?....where's the bleeder screw on the front calipers located? up high where they should be to release trapped air, or on the bottom?....list can be endless as to potential problem areas

Mike

NHCharger

bench bleed master- check
air gap- 1/64"- check- plus I adjusted it either side of 1/64" to see any difference.
replaced the proportioning valve when I got new system.
bleeders are up high.
New brake lines. Have bleed the brakes numerous times.
16 inches of vac. Supplier said I need 15-22 for brakes to work properly.
No brake leaks.

This is my third drum/drum to drum/disc conversion. First time I have had this problem. Friend who is a mechanic and local mopar wiz stopped by, he could see nothing wrong. Did say he has done numerous aftermarket conversions, said some of the kits are so/so on quality in his honest opinion. Been dicking with this for well over a month.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

resq302

Brian,
If you can wait a couple days, I'll have a disc brake master cylinder that you can use as my drum brake master cylinder is on its way back from the Brake Parts and Warehouse in MN.  You can have my old master cylinder to try and see if that is the problem or not.
Brian
1969 Dodge Charger (factory 4 speed, H code 383 engine,  AACA Senior winner, 2008 Concours d'Elegance participant, 2009 Concours d'Elegance award winner)
1970 Challenger Convert. factory #'s matching red inter. w/ white body.  318 car built 9/28/69 (AACA Senior winner)
1969 Plymough GTX convertible - original sheet metal, #'s matching drivetrain, T3 Honey Bronze, 1 of 701 produced, 1 of 362 with 440 4 bbl - auto