News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

has any one vinyl wrap ya 68 charger

Started by dodgey68, April 23, 2018, 03:58:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dodgey68

just asking has any one vinyl wrapped a 2nd gen , rusty looking wrap? any pics,
maybe was thinking about it, but probably won't ?,, sick of people at car shows rubbing and sliding there hands up my paint, some people and there  kids have no respect
when all you own is a hammer, every job  resembles a nail.

garner7555

That could be a great way to protect the paint.   :yesnod:   And you could do a color change every few years.    :2thumbs:    You could even put a giant picture of your face on the hood...   That might be too much..    :eek2:    :smilielol:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

myk

Aren't vehicle wraps equivalent to the cost of a good paint job?  Too much money for something temporary,  IMO...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

Ghoste

And do they really protect the finish underneath?

bakerhillpins

Wow, 8 years ago now... well anyway, Mr Angry was wrapped up for an event. I didn't go through the threads associated with this but he may have put up cost/difficulty info somewhere in there. Yea, it will be old #s but it may be a starting point.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php?topic=69285.0

One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

Lennard

About 6 months ago I asked a reputable shop in Vegas what it would cost to wrap my '68 in satin black, and the answer was between $2500 and $3500. So painting was a cheaper option in my case.

RiverRaider

Quote from: Lennard on April 23, 2018, 08:42:17 AM
About 6 months ago I asked a reputable shop in Vegas what it would cost to wrap my '68 in satin black, and the answer was between $2500 and $3500.  So painting was a cheaper option in my case.
That was a really good quote, my cost on a roll (60"x50yd) of the good 8 or 10 year solid color wrap material that is still removable in the first 4 years is just under half of the lower quote. 

My first Charger was a Stock Car.

1974dodgecharger

Quote from: Lennard on April 23, 2018, 08:42:17 AM
About 6 months ago I asked a reputable shop in Vegas what it would cost to wrap my '68 in satin black, and the answer was between $2500 and $3500. So painting was a cheaper option in my case.

this is a true representation of the prices quote......

Ponch ®

Quote from: myk on April 23, 2018, 06:24:21 AM
Aren't vehicle wraps equivalent to the cost of a good paint job?  Too much money for something temporary,  IMO...

It's "temporary" in the sense that it's reversible, but it does not necessarily mean it won't last a long time - especially on car that youre going to keep garaged and drive a couple of times a week. Vehicle wraps are kind of a big thing in the modern/expensive car scene, and the cost is not really a huge factor for the people that do it. Put it this way: you just bought a $100K Porsche/AMG/Vette but you couldn't find the specific model/options in the color you wanted. At that point, spending another $5K on a wrap to customize it to your taste is not a big deal.

Is it a good idea for a classic car? Possibly, especially if you're trying to preserve the paint it has on now but maybe you want to try something different/crazy. Key is finding a shop that'll do it right.
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

myk

Lol.  Well $5K is a fortune to me so I guess I'm out...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

orange383

A guy I work with vinyl wrapped his BMW as he couldn't afford to get the pros to do it. He did a great job so maybe doing it yourself is a good option for some!

1970Moparmann

I friend wrapped his 69 Camaro for $200.   He started with the trunk and worked his way forward.   He made some mistakes, but said majority of the issues were with the carbon fiber look wrap.   It took  him about 40 hours to do it on his car.
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

NCMopar

I considered this, after the first prep/paint job was completely jacked up. I ended up getting it repainted and was glad I did. While I nothing against wrapping a car, have the hood on the wife's Widebody Hellcat Challenger wrapped satin black, I couldn't get over the fact that there would be seams near the roof/C pillar area and I would ALWAYS see them, no matter how good of a blending job. Modern cars, with their Lego bodies lend themselves to easy wrapping and no seams, unlike our battleships. The other reason I went with a repaint is that I'm a detailing/paint nerd and enjoy having a buffer in my hand during the very few hours I have not working.

Regards,
John

myk

I guess I'm just too old fashioned but I prefer a paint job...

v21hemicharger

I wrapped my Cuda for about $600.  Watched some you tube and went for it.  Turned out great.  I have a vinyl top so that helped a bit.  Below the flat black and Carbon fiber vinyl is some gorgeous gloss black paint.  It was the look I was after and yes, real AAR.  No not TX9

BigCE

I have thought about a wrap as well but there is no way to avoid a seam where the roof becomes the quarter panel. If you have a vinyl top you would have a trim piece there to stop at or like a General Lee you could just run the trim and no vinyl roof and use it to hide the seam.

I'm a bit OCD and it would drive me crazy.

Ponch ®

Quote from: v21hemicharger on April 27, 2018, 06:05:27 AM
I wrapped my Cuda for about $600.  Watched some you tube and went for it.  Turned out great.  I have a vinyl top so that helped a bit.  Below the flat black and Carbon fiber vinyl is some gorgeous gloss black paint.  It was the look I was after and yes, real AAR.  No not TX9

damn man...that looks pretty damn good for a DIY job. 
"I spent most of my money on cars, birds, and booze. The rest I squandered." - George Best

Chrysler Performance West

1970Moparmann

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on April 25, 2018, 08:15:35 AM
I friend wrapped his 69 Camaro for $200.   He started with the trunk and worked his way forward.   He made some mistakes, but said majority of the issues were with the carbon fiber look wrap.   It took  him about 40 hours to do it on his car.

Here is my friends car.   Turned out well, especially for $200!
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

v21hemicharger

As far as the roof/quarter joint, there is a cutting tape that you can use and get a pretty seamless joint.  Where the carbon fiber on my fender top meets the side, I overlapped it a tiny bit versus putting down some primer(like an edge glue) because of the gloss black paint.  Look for knifeless tape.