News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Putting together a 440 for a '73, anything to look out for?

Started by toocheaptosmoke, April 23, 2018, 03:50:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

toocheaptosmoke

Hi guys, I've been doing some searching but would like to get some opinions from the pros here. 

I'm helping put an engine and car back together with a friend, it's a '73 charger with a 440/727.  The project was halfway done when some health issues prevented his dad from finishing it before he passed, so now we're trying to piece things back together.

The motor is out of the car, and was in the middle of some upgrades. The car was running and driving fine before the teardown.   440 Source aluminum heads and a new cam looks to have been installed.  No intake or rockers installed yet.   Bottom end looks to be buttoned up, so hopefully not too much needs done there?  Transmission is on a stand, and we found a shift kit on the table so will probably install that as well. 

I have not worked on the big blocks before, so if there's any common pitfalls to watch out for, or tips for assembly, I would appreciate the heads up.  I don't want to miss something since this won't be a ground up build.  I'm a bit concerned about breaking in the cam properly, it looks like there's moly lube on the new lifters and cam.  Would expect the new oil that's in it to be good for break-in, probably add an extra bottle of additive for safety.   I'm pretty much a manual trans. only guy, so hate to admit it but this will be the first time I've ever installed or worked on an automatic!! Haha

As for installation, does it work best to attach the tranny and engine before dropping them into the car?  That's how I did my car, but it was a 318/nv3500.   For headers, put them in the engine bay first before lowering the engine?  Best time to put on the starter?

Current game plan for engine is:
-   Double check bolt torques on heads
-   Try and see what kind of pistons are in it (bore scope)
-   Make sure harmonic balancer is on the whole way
-   Ck. Fuel and water pump
-   Install stock rockers (has hydraulic lifters) and make sure the pushrods fit
-   Engine is filled with oil, and looks to have been purged, lots of oil in valley
-       Find and verify TDC

Thanks!

74Rallye

Bolt your spool type motor mounts to the block while it's on the stand.