News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Firecore RTR question

Started by RECHRGD, April 23, 2018, 06:45:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RECHRGD

Getting ready for the car season.  Yesterday I started the car (440) and it ran flawlessly.  It has a Firecore RTR distributor and coil.  Today it won't start.  It's getting fuel but will not kick at all.  It has almost 12volts to both the positive and negative posts of the coil with the key on.  I get a reading of .5 ohms between the positive and negative and 4.2 K ohms between the positive and the post.  My first guestion is; shouldn't the negative terminal show continuity to ground?  It doesn't......
13.53 @ 105.32

Pete in NH

I don't know anything about the Firecore system but the Chrysler electronic system grounds the negative coil terminal and thereby the High Voltage spark negative side through the transistor in the control unit. That is why if the control box is poorly grounded the transistor develops the spark high voltage across it and dies very quickly. So, it is likely you will not see the negative coil terminal with a path to ground with an ohm meter

comet_666

Check the reluctor gap  needs to be .010 I think....
This happened to me last year, running perfect..bam no spark. Not sure why this was lose to begin with.

RECHRGD

Thanks guys!  Turned out to be a bad connection at the bulkhead connector........
13.53 @ 105.32

firefighter3931

Quote from: RECHRG on April 24, 2018, 05:26:41 PM
Thanks guys!  Turned out to be a bad connection at the bulkhead connector........

Great job on the trouble shooting Bob  :2thumbs:

Based on the info we exchanged all things were pointing towards a power supply issue and you found it  :icon_smile_cool:

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

RECHRGD

Actually it was a short term fix.  It ran great yesterday, but wouldn't start this morning after spending a cold night in the storage unit.  I think it just ran yesterday in the warm temperatures.  I'm going back in the morning to check the reluctor to pickup clearance.........
13.53 @ 105.32

69Chrgr

I've had nothing but problems on my 2nd Firecore RTR distributor. My reluctor was also loose as a goose.

firefighter3931

The reluctor gap is easy to verify and every new distributor should be checked before being pressed into service. I've had the same issue with MSD & Mopar Performance distributors new out of the box.  :yesnod:

Bob, does your car have the original engine wiring harness ? If so....it might be time to consider a new M&H repro harness from Year One. I did my entire car when it was restored several years back. The engine harness was still serviceable but it was in the worst shape of all the wiring. Engine bay heat is a real killer on electrical stuff. I used insulated conduit tubing over top of my replacement harness to protect it against radiant/conductive heat. The  plastic insulation over the copper wiring is still nice and pliable 10 years later. I also used lots of di-electric grease on all the connectors to prevent corrosion/moisture.  :2thumbs:

https://www.yearone.com/Product/chrysler-b-body/hu187x

Ron
68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

RECHRGD

Thanks Ron!  Yes the harness was replaced probably 7 or 8 years ago and is in good shape.  I'm heading out to work on the problem in a bit.  I'll let you know what I find.........
13.53 @ 105.32

RECHRGD

OK, the reluctor gap was pretty close to right on, but a hair wide.  The .010 feeler was a little sloppy so I adjusted it to .008.  It started right up.  In hind sight I should have tried to start it before making the adjustment.  Anyway I think I'm good to go......
13.53 @ 105.32

myk

Keep us informed.  I'll check mine if the car ever gets back from the body shop...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

NHCharger

Quote from: 69Chrgr on April 25, 2018, 10:48:33 PM
I've had nothing but problems on my 2nd Firecore RTR distributor. My reluctor was also loose as a goose.

What kind of problems? I just installed another Firecore RTR system in my Daytona clone. The only problem I had was the brand new coil was NFG. Luckily I had a spare coil for my 68.
The only thing I didn't like was that the Firecore unit is now being sold thru Summit and the directions suck a$$. I had to PM Ron to make sure the wiring harness mods were still the same as my 68. No mention in the directions of splicing the start and run wires together and eliminating the ECU and ballast resistor. For someone that has never installed a RTR system, they will have a hard time with those directions.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

69Chrgr

Well, my Firecore coil crapped the bed a few years ago with my wife with me as it wouldn't restart. Then the first Firecore distributor became extremely corroded inside. They sent me another one. Then it left me stranded at a car show (perfect place to break down) as the pin inside the plug had pushed through where it hooks to the MSD. Then recently I've noticed an intermittent backfire, which I think may be attributed to a loose reluctor. I love Firecore wires, but that's about it. I have the Holley dual sync that will be going on with the new FI system so I won't be missing this setup. I don't think I'm the only one who has had these issues with these distributors.