News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Heater bypass valve

Started by Hop Head, April 25, 2018, 10:39:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hop Head

I'm in the process of replacing my leaking heater core and restoring my air box on my 69 non-a/c charger. I was wondering if there should be a bypass valve somewhere in the system. The current set-up is both heater hoses are running directly from the water pump housing to the heater core.  Am I missing some pieces that would allow my to stop the coolant flow?  I don't have any documentation on how the original system was laid out.  Any feedback would be helpful.
Thanks, Russ

birdsandbees

That's the way it is, plain and simple!
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

ALBSURE1091

Are you trying to continue driving car without the heater core hooked up? Not exactly sure what you are looking for. To keep driving car without the heater core leaking just remove both heater hoses from the heater core inlet & outlet on the firewall and use a coupler to attach them to each other. You won't have any heat but at least you can still drive it and it won't leak.

Hop Head

I already removed the core and plan on restoring the air box assembly. When researching parts, I noticed that some folks mentioned rebuilding their control valve.  Since my car does not have one, I was thinking that I was missing that particular piece.  Still find it hard to believe that there is no way to stop coolant flow thru the core.  No wonder it's always warm in the cabin.   

ALBSURE1091

Quote from: Hop Head on April 27, 2018, 01:29:00 PM
I already removed the core and plan on restoring the air box assembly. When researching parts, I noticed that some folks mentioned rebuilding their control valve.  Since my car does not have one, I was thinking that I was missing that particular piece.  Still find it hard to believe that there is no way to stop coolant flow thru the core.  No wonder it's always warm in the cabin.   

oh ok now I understand. My car is an A/C car which has a heater control valve to stop hot coolant flow so it don't overpower when the A/C is on. Guess a non A/C car wouldn't need that. I do agree with you about that. Even though heater fan not on you'll still always have hot coolant running through heater core. And as I'm sure you know even with heater off there still hot air getting into the cabin of car. Guess if you wanted you could add a manual inline hose valve to stop the flow. Cause in the summer it definitely can get HOT in there!