News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Somebody talk to me

Started by JB400, April 28, 2018, 11:14:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I sorta lost motivation on my car, got tired of the slow progress so I pulled it out of the shop and stuck it in the corner of my garage where it sat forgotten about under a cover for a couple of years.

I pulled the cover off the other day and actually did some work, I put the back seat back in, installed the door panels and some other interior trim.

Sort of makes me want to jump back into it, but now I'm broke and can't affort what I need to continue, so it will likely sit in the corner again and will be many more years till it's finished.

At least I still own a Charger though......  :ahum:

alfaitalia

:iagree:

.....but it is pretty easy to use non forum software to load pics. I use "Microsoft resizer" to resize all the photos in bulk...the software your PC comes with can only do one at a time!...and then I upload them to "ImgBB" and then you can bulk copy the image codes and put up to 50 photos at once on the forum. Whole process takes 5 minutes top. :2thumbs:
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Troy

Quote from: Kern Dog on May 20, 2018, 01:14:13 AM
Quote from: BDF on May 19, 2018, 10:57:30 PM
Hello?
I haven't been on here as much as I was because of other distractions, work dutys, garden time & etc.
I have been on a different site more because it is easier to upload pics and enjoy the banter & sometimes the dramas are quite entertaining to me...
I do appreciate the DC.COM widom and think I shall ask for some camshaft selection advice for a stroked 440 soon.

Easier to upload pictures...ABSOLUTELY ! That is the one really annoying thing here. I can change the name of a picture before posting and it will still throw that same bullshit line about using a file with the same name. What kind of Harbor Freight software is that??? WHY have that feature??? What is the harm of doing the way every other forum does it? I know very little about computers and that stuff but it seems like a really odd way to manage pictures.
It's been covered but here's a recap: Because making it "easy" made it too easy. People are lazy so, certain people, uploaded the same picture a few hundred times. While it "looks like" the same picture, on the server it has a different name and is a separate physical file - which also means that the thousands of people viewing each one all request individual files. Browsers are smart enough to "cache" a picture you've already looked at so even if you come back to the thread every day, you only download the picture once. But, if the same picture has many names your browser downloads each one because it goes by the name of the file and web site. When people do that with every picture, not just 1, it causes exponential growth on the file system and bandwidth.

And as mentioned before, their *was* a setting in the software to create a unique name for each upload but after I shut it off I upgraded the server and they had removed it. So there's no way to "undo" it without upgrading the server again. It's planned, I just don't have the time right now.

And if I fix the names people will still complain that they can't figure out how to resize their poster sized picture - even though modern devices all have the capability to do so (and most actually have the ability to create unique names). And if I allow resizing on the server people will complain that it takes 10 minutes to upload their poster sized picture over their cell phone's data connection. Facebook, Instagram, etc. have an app that resizes behind the scenes (actually shrinks the file so much it loses all detail) *before* uploading across the internet. This vastly increases the speed (at the cost of quality) but this is a web site - not an app - and I don't have a billion dollar budget or a team of support people.

I'll do what I can.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Kern Dog

Thanks for maintaining the site, I do enjoy it.
Still, I have a hard time grasping your explanation. You may be making sense to most people but there is something in me that has a hard time understanding computers/servers/parsing and all the other terms. It is odd because I can usually pick up on things reasonably quick.
In the simplest terms that I can relay: I don't understand why other sites do not have this problem. If the simple answer is We have a different operating system and the picture program cannot be modified then I could understand.
Thanks again for making the effort.

JB400

Well, I've been doing some comparisons between this site and the 'other' site, and can honestly say Troy is right.  Posting is down, but visitation is not.  98 o/o of the time, dc has had more traffic.

Lennard

It's no wonder that posting is down. Trolls from the "other" site are taking the fun out of it.