News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

P.S. vs. manual steering coupler and steering column differences

Started by 66FBCharger, May 01, 2018, 07:06:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

66FBCharger

What are the differences between a P.S. coupler and a manual steering coupler? Length? Spline?
Is there a difference between steering columns? What is the difference? Length of the inner shaft?
Are steering couplers still available new?
'69 Charger R/T 440 4 speed T5, '70 Road Runner 440+6 4 speed, '73 'Cuda 340 4 speed, '66 Charger 383 Auto
SOLD!:'69 Charger R/T S.E. 440 4 speed 3.54 Dana rolling body

TommyGun

The length is the difference.  Coupler is the same.  My 68 has power steering and came with a column shift column but the guy also threw in a manual column (no shifter on the column.) When I went to switch out the columns I found they were different length, must have been from a manual steering car I think.   So I ended up disassembling both columns to swap the shaft over.

Charger-Bodie

68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

TommyGun

Interesting, I guess I don't know for sure what my parts came from but I was able to make it work!

Kern Dog

That is right. The splined shaft on the steering chuck is larger on manual steering cars.
I had a steering column coupler from a manual steering car in my parts stash. I installed it in a power steering column and into a Duster. I had the car up on jackstands  doing front end work and pushed the tires side to side. Doing so, I heard a grinding noise. It turned out to be the coupler and shaft ! Up to that point, I did not know that they were different sizes.