News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Seam sealing floor

Started by Hop Head, May 02, 2018, 06:15:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hop Head

I have a few questions about sealing my floor.  I'm getting ready to apply POR 15 to my floor boards, and I'll be following that up with DynaMat.  At what stage should I re-seal the joints?  Before I paint or after the POR 15.  Also, which 3M sealer would you folks recommend.  I see they have a few different types. 

Thanks...

green69rt

The metal of the floor should be, at least, in primer before applying seam sealer.   Can't help you with 3M, I used SEM.  You'll need at least two different types.  The chalk type (in a tube)  and some brushable (in a can ) if you start sealing the vertical surfaces such as the inner window frames above the floor.  Be prepared to buy a gun for the tube type, usually requires a special chalking gun.  And the stuff stinks to high heaven!

I bought all my stuff thru Autobody Toolmart.  Not the cheapest but they do carry a lot of stuff.

https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/searchnxt.aspx?keywords=seam+sealer

I forgot to answer you main question, before or after POR15.  I wouldn't apply over POR15.  Main reason is unless you go to a lot of care to make sure the metal is well preped and the POR15 will stick 100% then the sealer will just come off with the POR15.  I guess that's true with primer but it seems to be easier to get the primer down correctly than POR15.