News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Deck Lid Gutter to Rear Taillight panel

Started by cincyboy, May 02, 2018, 09:03:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cincyboy

SO I assume this transition is lead as I had to heat it to remove.   How are you all putting these back?  Leading them back in?  Is there another option?

green69rt

I don't think that area is supposed to be leaded.  Maybe someone did it in the past to cover up the seam.  Mine is just welded then painted.  Picture attached.

Lennard

My '68 and '69 don't have lead there either.

cincyboy

Not sure man I'm the second owner and was under a tree when I got it.  Owner said only repair was on the hood in the 70's.   :shruggy:

green69rt

Quote from: cincyboy on May 02, 2018, 12:49:02 PM
Not sure man I'm the second owner and was under a tree when I got it.  Owner said only repair was on the hood in the 70's.   :shruggy:

Yeah, who knows?   Whatever it was just clean it up good, prime and paint.  Unless you want to lead it in.  Nothing wrong with that, just not the way the factory did it.

Oh, just thought, some of what you're seeing may be some kind of seam sealer.   But in that spot the seam sealer may be underneath, don't remember.  One thing about these old Mopars, the trunks leak at the drop of a hat.  Someone may have been chasing a leak and did something there.   :shruggy:  I seen all sorts of stuff done to stop leaks around the trunk and back window.  Window chalk, butyl rubber chalk, layers of this and that.   I wouldn't sweat it too much.  

Was the same stuff on both sides?

cincyboy

Yes same on both sides.

So question, as I'm new to this, when the new metal goes in an area like this (overlap)  did they put the seam sealer between mating panels and and spot weld after?  Or  did they spot weld and fill in the joints with the seam sealer?

Bronzedodge

The welding came first, then the sealer.
Mopar forever!