News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Drum wont fit on the brakes, help

Started by euroZ06, May 13, 2018, 11:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

euroZ06

Hi,

So i recently did a diff swap, but the dif had to be rebuilt, so the car sat apart for 2 weeks. I went to put the car back together, and i cant put the drums back on :( neither side. The adjustment screw is screwered in all the way. The piston seems to easily move when i press it with the screw driver, but the drums just wont go on. Any ideas of whats going on and how to proceed?
68 charger, 383, 727, 3.55

metallicareload99

Crack the bleeder screw open a bit, and make absolute certain your parking brake isn't on/hung up. Some brake fluid will leak out and it will eat up the paint. Bleed the brakes afterwards
1968, When Dinosaurs Ruled The Earth

euroZ06

Quote from: metallicareload99 on May 13, 2018, 12:10:06 PM
Crack the bleeder screw open a bit, and make absolute certain your parking brake isn't on/hung up. Some brake fluid will leak out and it will eat up the paint. Bleed the brakes afterwards

Ok, thank you, ill try that.

The one weird thing is that the the cylinder does move fairly easily when i push on it... so weird why i can compress it easily...

euroZ06

Ok guys, i give up... the hand brake is not on, i undid the bleeder a bit, tried to wiggle and squeez and nothing... the mechanics of things look legit, dont see any issues, everything is nice and tight.

Can i take out adjustment screw and drive the car to the shop?

John_Kunkel

Quote from: euroZ06 on May 13, 2018, 11:46:35 AM
The piston seems to easily move when i press it with the screw driver, but the drums just wont go on.

Do you mean the piston in the wheel cylinder? The return springs on the shoes should have both pistons pushed back into the cylinder with the top of the shoe pressed hard against the backing plate stud.

You can't remove the adjuster and drive the car; the adjuster is the lower pivot for the brake shoes.

Try backing the parking brake adjuster all the way off and see if the shoes will retract enough to install the drums, then readjust.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Mopar Nut

You said you did a diff swap, are the backing plates the same, your old one could be 10" and the new diff could have 11".
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

euroZ06

Quote from: John_Kunkel on May 13, 2018, 03:59:53 PM
Quote from: euroZ06 on May 13, 2018, 11:46:35 AM
The piston seems to easily move when i press it with the screw driver, but the drums just wont go on.

Do you mean the piston in the wheel cylinder? The return springs on the shoes should have both pistons pushed back into the cylinder with the top of the shoe pressed hard against the backing plate stud.

You can't remove the adjuster and drive the car; the adjuster is the lower pivot for the brake shoes.

Try backing the parking brake adjuster all the way off and see if the shoes will retract enough to install the drums, then readjust.

Just wanted to point out that i didnt remove anything when i did the instal, i just removed the drum to pull out the axels.

The pistons are not pressed in, i can easily move them with the screw driver.

Ill have to try this another day and follow your steps... i just cant figure out what went wrong, since i didnt take anything apart... and the issue is on both sides. All the springs seem to have tension on them, everything seems to be in the right place...

carolina charger

The pistons should be compressed by the brake shoes spring  tension, and if you can compress them they should stay in. If they come back out then somethings not assembled correctly.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Is it possible that since Im sure you have the rear housing hanging at full travel, the e-brake cables are now stretched possibly pushing the shoes out?

Try jacking up the rear assy till you can lift the whole car (fully compressed suspension) and then try to put drums on....
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

dual fours

Open up the bleeders, stick a hose on that fits the bleeders empting in to a can.  Put a nylon ratchet strap around the shoes, both driver and passenger side and tighten them down, see if shoes compress, measure the shoes outside diam. then measure the drums ID, just to see what the difference is if any. Wait, you can't get the drums on from the start or drum starts but won't go all the way. Any chance you put 3'' wide front shoes on the rear?

Got a picture of the brake hardware?
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

euroZ06

c00nhunterjoe

Something is not right. You do not have to bleed the brakes in order to install a drum.

John_Kunkel

:iagree: Possibly the pedal pushrod is adjusted too long and causing pressure to be trapped in the system preventing the shoes from fully retracting.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: John_Kunkel on May 16, 2018, 03:33:02 PM
:iagree: Possibly the pedal pushrod is adjusted too long and causing pressure to be trapped in the system preventing the shoes from fully retracting.

Perhaps, but if the drums slid off and nothing else was disassembled, they should have slid back on the same. And if the pushrod was holding them, the brakes would be dragging terrible while driving if they are out so far that the drum wont fit and shoes are seized.

John_Kunkel

Well, if bleeding solved the problem, trapped pressure in the system was holding the shoes out. One way pressure could build up in the system (temperature change) and not simply dissipate through the MC reservoir return port is if the return port is blocked and that's commonly caused by a pushrod that's adjusted too long.

c00nhunterjoe

But how were the brakes bled with the drums off? What procedure was used? He said he had already opened the bleeders prior and the shoes didnt retract any. Opening the bleeder alone would confirm or rule out a master cylinder.

werner

Someone could have installed a residual pressure check valve. Holds 10psi line pressure for drum brakes. They use them with aftermarket master cylinders. IE Wilwood. Holds the shoes against the drums for less pedal travel
1969 dodeg charger, 528 hemi ,Tko 5spd.

John_Kunkel

The shoe return springs will definitely overcome the 10 psi RPV as long as there is a return path to the MC reservoir.

euroZ06

Sorry for late reply on this.

Problem was this idiot right here. I was putting the adjuster in the wrong place. Dumb error.

John_Kunkel

Don't feel bad, I've been doing it for over 50 years and I often have to look at a picture to see how it goes together.