News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are old tires in new condition safe?

Started by AKcharger, May 15, 2018, 04:07:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AKcharger

I have 15 Y/O BF goodrich Radial T/A's that are PERFECT!  no cracks, corrosion or battle damage wondering if I should keep running them. Does age do some kind of internal damage to the structure and they have a shelf life or if they look good...they are good?

opinions?  :popcrn:

ACUDANUT

They are fine.  I have 30 y/o tires on my cars.  It's the sun that kills them.

Just 6T9 CHGR

My Redline Radials are going on 16 years old.  No cracks or damage but I haven't run them  for the past 2 seasons for fear of a blow out on the 200 mile trip down to Carlisle....this season will be 3 :(

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

AKcharger

Copy...They've Always been garage and for the past 5 years off the car

Mopar Nut

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on May 15, 2018, 05:37:57 PM
My Redline Radials are going on 16 years old.  No cracks or damage but I haven't run them  for the past 2 seasons for fear of a blow out on the 200 mile trip down to Carlisle....this season will be 3 :(

We need a "LIKE" button, your Charger is gorgeous!
"Dear God, my prayer for 2024 is a fat bank account and a thin body. Please don't mix these up like you did the last ten years."

myk

A new set of tires for about $500 is worth the peace of mind, IMO...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

c00nhunterjoe

Rubber breaks down over time. 5 and out for me. The us is one of the only countries in the world that doesnt have a tire experation date law. Tires on the trailer and motorhome have started failing at that mark and are kept covered/ garaged out of the sun. They might get 1,000 miles a year put on them. Look brand new still when removed, the breakdown is on the inside. When belts start letting go, there is little to no warning. The body shop bill from a shredded tire at 65 mph is not worth the gamble. Go record a massive burnout amd go buy new tires.

INTMD8

69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

green69rt

Tires degrade while hidden away, exposure to oxygen is the main culprit.  Tire manufacturers add compounds to the tire rubber to stave off the effects of oxygen and sunlight but those compounds are consumed as they protect the tire.  Various company's use various amounts and have various recommendations on the life of their tires, usually from 3 to 6 years  .  I couldn't find any regulations on tire life so I guess it's "buyer beware".

Some tires may last longer than others and even four of the same tire on one car my last different lengths of time.   The problem is that you can't see what's going on inside the tire rubber unless you cut it apart and chemically analyze it.  Outside physical appearance may or may not indicate condition inside the rubber.  The only thing I would use an old tire for is to roll the car around the garage.

More info:

https://www.thoughtco.com/the-science-of-tire-aging-3234377

JR

Five years is about a maximum safe lifespan for tires. Driving on decade old tires is asking for a quarter panel destroying blowout at speed.
70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

CDN72SE

There was a thread on one of the boards of a member with a Duster I believe, he was driving on old tires, one of the rears shredded and did a lot of damage to his quarter panels.

That being said I have BFG's from I think 1992 and they still look good but... after all the money I am spending on the car I would hate to blow a tire and have something really bad happen.
1972 Charger SE

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

John_Kunkel

And here enters the conflict between the logical mind and the pocketbook. Most agree that 5-6 years is the usable life of a tire but, when you have a fleet of cars (large or  small) it's kinda hard to spend the bucks required to keep all of your tires within that age limit.

For me, I'll take a chance on aged tires based on visuals and history.  
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

dual fours

It you think it's no fun when a rear tire blows, wait till a front blows.
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

RallyeMike

No way on a car you care about. Don't be lead into a sense of security by people who get away with it. You can't go back and change your mind if you have a separation or blow out. 

I experienced tire failure on low mile 13? year old premium brand OEM tires. The vehicle was garaged it's entire life and literally owned by an old man who babied it. I thought it would be fine too but changed my mind on this topic real quick. The failure was not due to a puncture or blunt force - the tread and outer sidewall separated from the core. Fortunately I was not going excessively fast and traveling in a straight line. When the front cap remnents was run over by the back tire, it too separated.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

AKcharger

Copy all guys...yeah, going with new tires.   I have the $$$ I just keep thinking back to when I was a (stupid) kid and I ran some horribly dangerous tires and was always OK, lol

Thanks!

JB400

Don't forget about trailer tires as well.  I have a relative that has barrel rolled one a few times because he doesn't change them till they seperate

green69rt

Just a last point.  People forget about the spare.  It sets,hidden away in the trunk, "out of site,out of mind".  I keep my cars a long time so it gets replaced at around 10 years.  Some time costs more that the regular tires.

68 RT

Think about this too, you could possibly kill someone else when your tire blows out. There is a reason why tire places drill holes when they take off older tires no matter how good they look!

Mike DC

IMO modern tires are much more prone to age-failing than tires used to be.  Modern tires also seem more prone to air leaks.  

It's tempting to call it an "all modern products have gone to crap" problem.  But modern tires have gotten very good in other ways.  Grip, noise, rolling resistance, how many miles they last, etc.

myk

Quote from: 68 RT on May 17, 2018, 10:42:09 AM
Think about this too, you could possibly kill someone else when your tire blows out. There is a reason why tire places drill holes when they take off older tires no matter how good they look!

Maybe where you're at but here in lovely California there are used tire joints all over the place.  I'd rather take the bus than roll on a used, older tire...
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

AKcharger

I'm going with new coopers but have to polish up the wheels I got 1st

Charger RT

Here is a picture of my 15 year old TA. I had 5 of them 4 with less then 3000 miles and one was a spare with 0 miles. One of the fronts separated first and you could slip your hand under the tread. Then a few weeks later my son came in the house and told me my charger had a flat. It was one of these tires. Two weeks later we back the charger out to get another car in to work on it and a few hours later the other tire in the picture blew up. At that point we lowered the pressure from 35 to 20 in the two remaining tires until I got a new set of tires. 10 years is my limit now. These were beautiful no cracking lots of tread.
Tim

Kern Dog

Quote from: myk on May 16, 2018, 04:30:46 AM
A new set of tires for about $500 is worth the peace of mind, IMO...

Uhhh, $500 gets me almost 2 tires!

303 Mopar

My Sport Satellite was stored in a bunker for 15 years and the 2002 tires are still soft with zero wear. To me, its not worth the chance of a blow out so new tires are ordered.
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible