News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

considering getting out of my project

Started by FJ5WING, May 20, 2018, 06:51:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJ5WING

I havent been able to recover financially to complete my car yet so Im considering letting it go. Im seeking some value guestimates from the knowledgeable group.
Ive owned it since 87 and it a 43K mile Vcode 4 spd. Rust repair was limited to a patch under the foot pedals along with the wheel arches and lower quarters behind the wheel openings. The wheel houses, trunk drop downs, and trunk floor are original. Ive used Harms for the carbs, Mike Mancini for the gauge assemble, Jim Ridge for the alt, Jules for plating including the original outter door handles, Glenray restored the original radiator, Frank Badalson when repops were needed.
The enging is still out of the car and not yet finished but close along with a fresh trans. Many NOS parts were used and an AM/FM installed but still have the AM.
The center carb and intake are 69 pieces. I have both jacks and an NOS trunk mat. I have the build sheet and fender tag.

wingless now, but still around.

ksquared

Quote from: FJ5WING on May 20, 2018, 06:51:04 AM
I havent been able to recover financially to complete my car yet so Im considering letting it go. Im seeking some value guestimates from the knowledgeable group.

OK, I'm not in the "knowledgeable group," but I'll add my  :Twocents:, the short version is don't sell the car.

First, there is the potential tax liability, and even having saved every receipt for every penny spent, this liability should still be a factor in the decision to sell.  Even conversely, just breaking even or a loss, which you can't claim on your taxes, you are then locking in a final result for an asset that I am under the impression is appreciating.  Maybe the knowledgeable group can more accurately describe the market for these cars.

Beyond the money, I look at the final words in FJ5WING's postings, "Breathing life back into my baby!"  I look and think, you've cleared the first major hurdle, you've got one.  You've cleared hundreds of hurdles along the way, bring the car to where it is now.  To me, it looks like the finish line is in sight, even though there are a few more major hurdles.  It isn't an AMC Pacer either, it is a historically significant item of automotive and American history.  If it takes a bit longer saving up to finish it correctly, that will have to be accepted.  The garage walls didn't look barren, if money is needed I'd try finding other possibilities.

A guy in college told me, "Money comes and goes, but your grades stay with you forever."  So I focused on the grades.  I'll paraphrase for this situation as "Money comes and goes, but your Superbird should stay with you forever."

JB400

I wouldn't jump prematurely on selling it.  Wait long enough, and your financial situation will change if you stay persistent.  Seek, and you shall find

XS29J

benny70hemibird

I say let it go. Use the money to pay off some bills, or make a few investments. Peace of mind means everything.

DAY CLONA

Quote from: FJ5WING on May 20, 2018, 06:51:04 AM
I havent been able to recover financially to complete my car yet so Im considering letting it go.

Sorry to hear this, your so close to completion.... We've all had financial issues at one time or another, lost jobs, divorce, etc, etc, for some the toys must go, for others, you just close the garage door until you have the time and resources to continue while you get your affairs in order... think long and hard before you decide what route your going to travel, weigh all the pros and cons before making any decision

Best Wishes in your decision
Mike

hemi68charger

trade ya a running' / drivin' 69 Charger 500 440 4speed.....  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

62 Max

Quote from: hemi68charger on May 20, 2018, 04:56:30 PM

Just can't make up your mind,can ya ?????????? :confused: :icon_smile_big:

Luis9995

What would be the price if you decide to sell it?

It's one of those situations where if you sell it you'll likely never be able to buy another back.

XS29J

The Problem is trying to sell as a project. Most of the people THAT WOULD LOVE TO HAVE IT, don't have the ability to finish it themselves which Equates to a lower value because all the $ would go to a restoration shop to finish...
My advice.. Close the garage Door and forget about it for awhile.. Watch a few of these Ridiculous Reality car shows for a month or two, And see how stupid they really are then go back to it and get it Done...Birds and Daytona's are a once in a life time opportunity!
Good Luck in the decision..

hemi68charger

Quote from: 62 Max on May 20, 2018, 05:21:27 PM
Quote from: hemi68charger on May 20, 2018, 04:56:30 PM

Just can't make up your mind,can ya ?????????? :confused: :icon_smile_big:

Someone else made up my mind for me in the ill-fated Superbird debacle. And, wouldn't you want a Bird over a 500?  :icon_smile_big:

Ok..... taggin' back Master Jedi....
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

boss429kiwi

Borrow another $10k - $20k, finish it and maximise on your investment.
NEW ZEALAND (aka Paradise)
1973 De Tomaso Pantera GTS widebody
1970 Superbird, 6pack, 4 speed, Tor-Red, Buckets, restored by Julius
1970 428 Cobra Jet, 4 speed, calypso Coral, white shaker
1970 Boss 429 KK2457, Concours, Calypso Coral (SOLD)
1957 Chevy truck, big rear window, ocean green, STOCK!.....nice!

FJ5WING

Im sorry I failed to mention that both the engine and trans are original matching numbers.
wingless now, but still around.

Aero426

Dave, I don't know your financial situation, but I am sure that your dad wants you to finish this car.   You are oh, so close.   

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

kevs1969daytona

Ok this is my 2 cents, purchased a 1970 Challenger R/T 4 speed about 6 years ago, guy dumped $100000 into it, gave me all the bills, no B.S. just over $100000 into it.  I got it for $45000 cdn, had it for 2 years sold it for $55000.  The car was absolutely mint, underneath was better than the top like yours.  Anyways, if still had it today sure I would get $75000 cdn for it.  If you sell it, you will lose money and kick yourself in the butt years later for doing so. heres a video of me loading it up drove 3000 kms plus to bring it back home.  The owner was actually crying when we loaded it up, but his wife was in the window (can see here in the video) with a big smile, kinda like his expensive mistress was finally leaving.  my 2 cents anyways. If you can afford it keep it. Every year goes buy it will go up in value.   anyways to answer your question $170000 plus according to NADA maybe another $20000 to redo engine and tranny. This is from NADA website:
Values
Low $54,270
Average$125,010  
High $229,500
Options (Change)
4 Speed Transmission
5%
440/375 HP V8 Engine
30%

P.S. your Superbird looks amazing finished or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkZxBhTuNh0

1970Moparmann

My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

tan top

looks awesome , good luck with what ever you decide  :cheers:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

70 sublime

I bet you have thought long and hard about saying this out loud and starting a thread
If you are at this point the hard part is over and now just have to come up with a price
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

Hoser2455

Keep it as long as you can to finish it. It took me 30 years and 4 kids later to finish mine.  I was fortunate enough to hold onto it in a garage for all of them years.  When you finish it, then you can decide to sell it or not.

gtx6970

I have know idea on your financial situation. So that bears a lot of weight when making the decision to sell or not

But,

Having made this very decision a few times on a couple cars I have owned. Out of the dozens Ive owned .  2 cars I regret to this very day. Most of the cars went away without so much as a tear  BUT a couple I regret selling  to this day. One of them sold probably over 25 years ago.
Neither one was to lessen  a financial burden. So keep that in mind

One of them was a 99 paint code 1969 Hemi Road Runner. And to this day its the only 1969 hemi 4 spd Roadrunner   known in that color. The other one was my B5 Blue 1969 GTX convertible.

So think long and hard about selling before you make that plunge ( my 2 cents only )

Moparpoolman

Arnie Cunningham

I considered and tried to sell mine several times over the decades.  I am glad I didn't.  The cash would be long gone and my financial situation would be no different.  Superbirds are a good non-liquid asset.  They will always hold a significant value - especially one that is as detailed as yours.  Consider it part of your financial portfolio.  If you can't afford to fix it today consider putting the cover on it for a couple years and seeing how things change.  I do agree that if you are going to sell it, you should borrow the money to complete it prior to the sale.  You will get a LOT more money for a complete running driving car than you will for a project.
Mine sat in storage for 22 years before I finally pulled it out and fixed it.
Just my opinion,
Brennan
Brennan R. Cook RM23U0A169492 EV2 Manual Black Buckets Armrest 14" Rallyes
Arnie Cunningham was the Plymouth obsessed youth in the novel/movie Christine.
Brcook.com contains the entire NASCAR shipping list of Superbirds sorted by VIN and a number of other pages dedicated to production information.