News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

wheel studs

Started by Moeggenpar, May 23, 2018, 04:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moeggenpar

Anyone know where to find correct wheel studs for a 68'? I bought a set of rear studs ( changing to right hand thread) from Mancini. The pic and dimensions were identical to my original one on their website. I received what appears to be an off the shelf Dorman piece which is nowhere even close. Thanks for any help

A383Wing

got mine years ago from local auto parts store.....was either Schucks or NAPA

John_Kunkel

This is the one that's supposed to be correct for Mopar rear axles:

https://www.dormanproducts.com/p-2556-610-103.aspx
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Moeggenpar

Thanks for the reply, that's the one I need. They sent the wrong stud

green69rt

Quote from: Moeggenpar on May 23, 2018, 07:26:03 PM

Got ,mine from O'Reilly auto parts.  Just about any parts store can get Dorman stuff as long as you can come up with the right part #.

70sixpkrt

:punkrocka: I need to save that part# for future reference.

440-6pk, 4-speed, Dana 60 with 3:54  
13.01 @107.93 (street tires spinning all the way down)

Moeggenpar

Quote from: green69rt on May 24, 2018, 05:39:15 PM
Quote from: Moeggenpar on May 23, 2018, 07:26:03 PM

Got ,mine from O'Reilly auto parts.  Just about any parts store can get Dorman stuff as long as you can come up with the right part #.
Does the one from O'Reilly look like the one on the right which is my original rear one? I've had two different vendors send me the one one the left with that same part # :flame:  Thanks

green69rt

That looks correct.  Part # 610-103.  Take a right hand nut from you car and see if it works.  :shruggy:

I changed out my left hand studs to right hand just to reduce confusion at the tire shop. Getting the new studs in was fun!!

Moeggenpar

Quote from: green69rt on May 27, 2018, 07:36:46 PM
That looks correct.  Part # 610-103.  Take a right hand nut from you car and see if it works.  :shruggy:

I changed out my left hand studs to right hand just to reduce confusion at the tire shop. Getting the new studs in was fun!!
the one I received #610-103 looks nothing like the in John Kunkel’s post above under the same part #   :shruggy: My original is identical to that one. How did you get the stud in?  Thanks

green69rt

Quote from: Moeggenpar on May 28, 2018, 09:41:25 AM

the one I received #610-103 looks nothing like the in John Kunkel’s post above under the same part #   :shruggy: My original is identical to that one. How did you get the stud in?  Thanks

Didn't answer your question.  The ones I got from O'Reillys looks like the new one you show (on the left.)   The ribbed area didn't go all the way to the head.  Works fine.

I started the stud and then used a ordinary lug nut to pull it into place.  As the lug pulled in I added big flat washers behind the nut to get the lug completely seated.   Just be careful that you use a good nut and that you fully engage all the treads on the nut or you may end up distorting the threads on the lug.

Moeggenpar

Quote from: green69rt on May 28, 2018, 11:32:47 AM
Quote from: Moeggenpar on May 28, 2018, 09:41:25 AM

Didn't answer your question.  The ones I got from O'Reillys looks like the new one you show (on the left.)   The ribbed area didn't go all the way to the head.  Works fine.

I started the stud and then used a ordinary lug nut to pull it into place.  As the lug pulled in I added big flat washers behind the nut to get the lug completely seated.   Just be careful that you use a good nut and that you fully engage all the treads on the nut or you may end up distorting the threads on the lug.
Ok thanks, I’ve give that a try. I didn’t the new one would work at all

ODZKing

NAPA had mine for the 67 and 73

John_Kunkel

I started the stud and then used a ordinary lug nut to pull it into place.  As the lug pulled in I added big flat washers behind the nut to get the lug completely seated. 

Regardless of the installation method, be sure to recheck the torque a couple of times after a few miles because the stud tends to seat deeper in use.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

green69rt

Quote from: John_Kunkel on May 29, 2018, 02:54:23 PM
I started the stud and then used a ordinary lug nut to pull it into place.  As the lug pulled in I added big flat washers behind the nut to get the lug completely seated. 

Regardless of the installation method, be sure to recheck the torque a couple of times after a few miles because the stud tends to seat deeper in use.

YES!