News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

STR-15

Started by Rolling_Thunder, May 24, 2018, 05:25:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolling_Thunder

So I was digging in my shed and found something I forgot I had - an Edelbrock STR-15....    it has the cross ram dual quad lid and no problems and has never been modified...   

Was thinking about using it but found out they don't perform that well and its more of a conversation piece / "look" modification.

I rarely see the -15...   I see the -14 from time to time (the RB block model) -

Any comments / opinions / value / random arguments ?

1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

c00nhunterjoe

You can make them perform well with some epoxy and popsicle sticks in the right locations. I love the cross ram, for a nostalgia car, you cant beat the look and sound.

Challenger340

Yep, they can be made to work "OK".... but in my experience no 2 of those Manifolds respond exactly the same to the popsicle stick mods, trial & error per manifold, time and money, and.... well.... I dunno if a guy can ever get a great bottom-up/mid range characteristic out of them ?
But they are most certainly one of the COOLEST looking deals around !

I dunno WTF it would be worth ? Whatever someone is willing to pay I guess.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

c00nhunterjoe

Yeah, usually spend 3 times the money making it fast vs what you pay for it. But certain cars just have to have the cross ram. You can run them as cast. Have a bone stock origonal crossram on the 63 426 max wedge. Its good for 10.40s. Intake is holding it back, but dont want to mess with it.

Challenger340

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on May 28, 2018, 09:22:52 PM
Yeah, usually spend 3 times the money making it fast vs what you pay for it. But certain cars just have to have the cross ram. You can run them as cast. Have a bone stock origonal crossram on the 63 426 max wedge. Its good for 10.40s. Intake is holding it back, but dont want to mess with it.

10.40's is fine !

That's faster than I ever went with an STR-14 by 2/10ths... but then again, my Car "back in the day" wasn't near as cool as yours is !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

c00nhunterjoe

To clarify, it does not have an str on it. It has the factory 1 peice mopar casting and stock 64 heads.
Its an oldschool superstock legal build. There are stocker max wedges running faster now. Lol. Cant compete with them anymore.

PRH

I dyno tested a modified(not by me) STR-14 with 2-600 edelbrock carbs on a 446 with a roller cam and ported rpm heads years ago.

Tested it against a Weiand TR with the same carbs, and my old modified Holley SD with a 1050 on it.

The STR was down everywhere, and as I recall the peak to peak difference was around 30hp.
TR best, SD close behind.
Porter Racing Heads......Building and racing Mopars since 1980

c00nhunterjoe

Ive seen 30-40 hp on a stock crossram vs tunnel ram. Odds are it wasnt modified properly. But even on a propey modified crossram, the other intakes will almost always beat it.

Rolling_Thunder

All interesting -- I have never ran a cross-ram so this is very informative
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

c00nhunterjoe

Bottom line- unless you have a car that origonally ran it, or have a nostalgia stock or superstocker; run something else. I love it, but everything is faster and cheaper.