News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How much ground clearance do you have between your deep oil pan and the ground?

Started by 440, May 24, 2018, 08:36:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I doubt many here would have deep oil pans but how much ground clearance do you have between the bottom of the oil pan and the ground?

I've got what looks like the low profile Milodon 7qt pan and it still hangs down pretty low. Low enough that I'm concerned it could get hit by something or bottom out.

So, how low do you hang and any horror stories of smashed pans?

68CoronetRT

flyinlow

I had the basic 7qt. of ebay initially. 1 1/2 " below k frame ('73) I would have eventually ground thru it.

I have a Milodon road race pan now. This has wings to increase oil  capacity without hanging below the k frame. Flapper doors  keep the oil near the pick up no matter what vector you apply G forces.  It holds 7-8 qts. and has oil temp port.

I can drive over a 2x6 on edge.

myk

Quote from: flyinlow on May 24, 2018, 10:49:17 PM
I had the basic 7qt. of ebay initially. 1 1/2 " below k frame ('73) I would have eventually ground thru it.

I have a Milodon road race pan now. This has wings to increase oil  capacity without hanging below the k frame. Flapper doors  keep the oil near the pick up no matter what vector you apply G forces.  It holds 7-8 qts. and has oil temp port.

Did you have to change your oil pickup with this pan?
"imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/mB3ii4B"><a href="//imgur.com/a/mB3ii4B"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js"

I'm sitting at 3.5" between my pan and the ground, looks like it has scraped a few things but not too bad so far. From googling I think I have .96 bars, 184R on the side I checked so I assume the left side should be 185L.

I would like to raise the front of the car 1/2" - 1" pending on getting new tires.

c00nhunterjoe

I have the 7 qt moroso on mine. Will roll under and measure tonight

flyinlow

Quote from: myk on May 24, 2018, 11:19:24 PM
Quote from: flyinlow on May 24, 2018, 10:49:17 PM

I have a Milodon road race pan now. This has wings to increase oil  capacity without hanging below the k frame. Flapper doors  keep the oil near the pick up no matter what vector you apply G forces.  It holds 7-8 qts. and has oil temp port.

Did you have to change your oil pickup with this pan?

Yes, Milodon pick up and windage tray

69wannabe

I went with the 6 quart hemi oil pan and it barely sticks down below the K frame. It is basically a factory oil pan so it has good ground clearance and works well on a street driven big block. Had some clearance issues on a 70 cuda 440 with the milidon 7 quart pan and ended up having to weld it up after hitting the ground with it trying to turn fast into the dairy queen. After doing some research I found the hemi pans and went that way with my 440.

garner7555

Quote from: 69wannabe on May 29, 2018, 11:28:25 PM
I went with the 6 quart hemi oil pan and it barely sticks down below the K frame. It is basically a factory oil pan so it has good ground clearance and works well on a street driven big block. Had some clearance issues on a 70 cuda 440 with the milidon 7 quart pan and ended up having to weld it up after hitting the ground with it trying to turn fast into the dairy queen. After doing some research I found the hemi pans and went that way with my 440.

I also used the hemi pan.        http://www.manciniracing.com/ststheoilpa61.html
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

1charger69

How do you guys deal with the standard dip stick readings with the deeper pans?

Brass

Quote from: 1charger69 on May 30, 2018, 02:27:56 PM
How do you guys deal with the standard dip stick readings with the deeper pans?

Put in the amount of oil it calls for and re-scribe the dipstick.  The hemi pan takes 6.5 with the large Wix filter.  So I would put in 5.5, scribe the low mark, then put in the last quart and scribe the full mark.

The oil level should be the same regardless of pan with a standard dipstick. The only time you'd need to change it is if you wanted to change the oil level in the pan.

RallyeMike

With a Miloden 7qt, at one point it was zero.... which is why I now run a home-made pan with a skid protector welded onto the bottom of the K frame.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/