News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Who has an oil pan that does NOT leak?

Started by Kern Dog, May 25, 2018, 01:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kern Dog

I am getting just as tired of a leaky oil pan as I am hearing people say "They all do that." 440 based 493, currently with a 6 quart pan.
What the heck, man ?? I have had a few different pans on the car, different bolts, used no washers, flat washers, lock washers...I have always used the 2 gaskets and steel windage tray. I don't officially "torque" the oil pan bolts but do tighten them just until the gaskets squish a bit, just like I've done with every other engine. This one weeps oil though, especially after I've been out romping on it.
I have heard of some drastic measures....Ever heard of "The Right Stuff" ?? I have never used it but I hear that it is some super sealing cement-like gasket sealer. That would be great if I never planned on removing the pan again. I've read that it sets up so hard that stamped steel stuff like valve covers, timing covers and oil pans get bent when you try to remove them later.
Is there a better way to go? I want to retain some type of windage tray. I did buy one of those plastic windage trays from Jeg's, the self sealing ones that are similar to those plastic transmission pan gaskets. What has been your experience with them? Good?

JB400

I've always used just cork gaskets with a little gasket sealer, or the neoprene gaskets, all torqued snug.

c00nhunterjoe

Moroso 7 qt pan, rubber gasket, arp stud kit with nylon lock nuts, little dab of rtv at the timing cover points and rear main points. Leak free.

RECHRGD

Google mopar pan gasket windage tray combo.  I can't seem to link it.  I just got one off off Amazon and it's just what the doctor ordered.  Reusable, no sealant needed and DOESNT LEAK! Summit has the also.  They make them for both stock and stroker cranks.....
13.53 @ 105.32

NHCharger

No problem with the oil pans in both my 440's. Now the tranny pan-that's another issue.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

Fred

No problem with mine either. I use mopar cork gaskets on mine.

I never use gasket sealer.

Tomorrow is promised to no one.......drive your Charger today.

69wannabe

I always use the cork gaskets myself with ultra grey silicone with the windage tray but I have seen some newer gaskets that are thick and I think are reusable like said above that may be actually better than the old cork gaskets but the cork one's have always worked fine for me.

krops cars

XH29N0G

Sort of unfair b/c I had the engine rebuilt in 2012, but it has been OK since then.   I think I had a slight rear seal leak with the original, but don't recall oil spots.  It sounds like it can be hit and miss with some. 
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

krops cars

The right stuff is awesome. I have used for over 20 years. I have seen first had how good it works. I use it 90% of the time. If you have to remove what you have installed you have to tap it off. Clean up is easy. I can not say enough good things about it.

Kern Dog

Maybe I'll check it out if the molded plastic windage tray deal does not work. I have just heard that "The Right Stuff" makes removal of the pan/valve covers/timing cover difficult to the point of bent flanges.

krops cars

No, I usually get under them with a thin gasket scraper. Push a little and they come off. I smear it on. Do not put a big bead on it. For removal you can not pry like a mad man Start with the scraper pry lightly get a small screw driver and start working them off.

Kern Dog

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

RECHRGD

I've had good luck also with "the right stuff".  Although not fun to get the pan back off, in my experience.  I think that the gray version is easier to remove than the black.  Anyway, the one gasket/windage tray combo sure beats having to deal with two gaskets, a windage tray and sealer goop.  It's well built and reinforced around the bolt holes.  I just snugged it down and have no leaks as of yet after a few hundred miles.  As far as the reusable feature goes, I guess time will tell.....
13.53 @ 105.32