News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 coronet no crank..possible igintion switch issue

Started by F8-4life, May 28, 2018, 09:43:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

F8-4life

My 68 coronet is having some problems.
At first it would intermittently just "click" when I go to turn it over.
Sometimes I could jiggle the key and get the engine to turn.
Yesterday the ignition system went completely down with no reaction whatsoevere. No headlights either.
Pulled the ignition switch out and the red Batt. wire had fallen out the the conector.
I repaired the wire and re-installed but this did not help.
Nothing happens when the key is turned.

Any thoughts on what the problem might be?

70 sublime

Did you look at the wires where they go through the firewall in the main block ?
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

F8-4life

Yes the red Batt. wire looks in order, from the ignition under the dash to the batt. cable in the engine bay, it all looks ok.
It had a loose connection at the ign. switch, so I thought obviously this must be the issue...but after that was repaired the car is completely dead.
No dash lights, no headlights.

70 sublime

If it was me I would take a test light to make sure the red wire going into the firewall had power
Should be able to touch the end of the wire while it is still in the main plug

Power there than I would see if I could touch the red wire where it goes on the back of ammeter gauge to see if it had power
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

nrt69

I had a similar problem with my 69 Charger and the first thing i replaced was the negative batt cable. fixed it.
Now I'm having an issue with my 66 Coronet....

nrt69

...and the Coronet was fixed by grounding the neutral safety wire off the starter relay.