News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New AC Upgrade

Started by AZMoparboy, June 03, 2018, 11:09:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZMoparboy

I have weird problem. My AC compressor runs in the off position. How is the AC clutch getting power? I have a new push button switch. The clutch  disengages when I  push heater or defrost. Did my new push button switch get fried? I need a good  Direction to start .

AZMoparboy

I'm not much of an electrician, but here goes. So, today I did a little trouble shooting. With the push button vacuum switch set in the off position, and using a  Multi meter to check the continuity between the two single post where the green and the blue wire attach to the back of the switch. The meter showed that it was a loop. The way I see it is in the off position the blue wire post should be open. The blue wire goes  directly to the compressor clutch, correct? And the green wire  supplies power to the switch, correct?

John_Kunkel

When you say "New AC Upgrade" do you mean an aftermarket retrofit system or a new installation of a factory unit?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

AZMoparboy

Yes aftermarket, all new system under hood, all old school in dash. Power is always on to compressor clutch with switch in off position.

ODZKing

Quote from: John_Kunkel on June 04, 2018, 12:08:36 PM
When you say "New AC Upgrade" do you mean an aftermarket retrofit system or a new installation of a factory unit?
Yeah, I am not understanding the "push button" you mentioned. That is not in the factory dash.   :popcrn:

John_Kunkel

I would contact the maker of the retrofit unit, the compressor operation might be normal.  :shruggy:
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

AZMoparboy

Ok,,, I sincerely apologize,  I live and breathe two cars in my stable. I have a 71 challenger and a 73 charger.  I had dodgecharger.com dialed In and just started typing not thinking about the website that I was on and that I was having a problem with my 71 Challenger.

It was my Challenger that I was having the problem with.  I admit I had my head up and locked. I hope that all of you can  have a good laugh on me,  and no I was not drinking at the time 😮😮.

But here is the good news.  I now have the Challenger air conditioning switch problem resolved. The switch was manufactured incorrectly having the off switch with contacts directly making a loop – the compressor would not shut down without pulling the pressure switch plug.  I just didn't think that a new part would be manufactured wrong. I disassembled the switch and found the problem.  I just went for a short drive around the neighborhood here in Phoenix, temperature 107° no overheat problems, cold air and it turns on and off like it should.

I sure hope that you guys can understand my mistake, thank you for your time and I will try to keep my cars straight with the problems that I have in the future.

AZMoparboy,
Chandler AZ🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥