News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Updated headlights 70 charger

Started by krops cars, June 06, 2018, 01:38:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

krops cars

I was looking to update my headlights. I was looking for a kit that has the relays, and glass assemblies with replaceable bulbs. I do not want to cut up my headlight buckets. Any help would be appreciated.

JR

Search this site for the "headlight relay mod". EDIT: Here it is: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,168.0.html

It's a simple thing to add in to your existing harness, and will allow the full voltage of your electrical system to reach the bulbs. I just pieced together the parts needed. That way I knew the quality of the components.

I would highly recommend using resettable breakers rather than fuses. That way if one ever pops, you can correct the problem and push a button and be on your way. Rather than risk running out of fuses and being stuck without headlight on a dark empty road somewhere.

As for the updated headlights, I went with these from eBay. Glass housings, and use modern H4 bulbs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-3-4-Halogen-Semi-Sealed-Beam-Headlight-Conversion-Headlamp-60-55W-H4-Bulbs-/232524986465

I've been running this combination for two years now, and the results are fantastic. They're equivalent to the lighting output of a modern car in my opinion. I used to have safety concerns about driving at night, not anymore.

Here are two comparison photos of the stock bulbs versus the upgrade. (Both sides had the relay mod in these pics, but passenger side has stock bulbs, and driver's side has upgraded H4s.)

As you can tell, the improvement is wonderful.

70 Charger RT top bananna /68 Charger RT triple green

Back N Black

Quote from: JR on June 07, 2018, 09:44:31 AM
Search this site for the "headlight relay mod". EDIT: Here it is: http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,168.0.html

It's a simple thing to add in to your existing harness, and will allow the full voltage of your electrical system to reach the bulbs. I just pieced together the parts needed. That way I knew the quality of the components.

I would highly recommend using resettable breakers rather than fuses. That way if one ever pops, you can correct the problem and push a button and be on your way. Rather than risk running out of fuses and being stuck without headlight on a dark empty road somewhere.

As for the updated headlights, I went with these from eBay. Glass housings, and use modern H4 bulbs.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5-3-4-Halogen-Semi-Sealed-Beam-Headlight-Conversion-Headlamp-60-55W-H4-Bulbs-/232524986465

I've been running this combination for two years now, and the results are fantastic. They're equivalent to the lighting output of a modern car in my opinion. I used to have safety concerns about driving at night, not anymore.

Here are two comparison photos of the stock bulbs versus the upgrade. (Both sides had the relay mod in these pics, but passenger side has stock bulbs, and driver's side has upgraded H4s.)

As you can tell, the improvement is wonderful.

Wow, that's impressive and a good price on the headlights. Is there any other mods or just a simple install with the headlight kit?

JR

Aside from cutting into a couple of wires from the original light harness, no permanent mods at all. No mods at all to the headlight buckets, and it doesn't take long to complete the swap. I can't recommend it enough. I think I installed everything for right around 100 bucks total including lights, wires, relays, connectors and breakers.

I should mention that I've since adjusted the headlights, so the beam distribution is much more even since I took that pic.

Unless you're doing a 100 point concourse restore, there is no reason I can think of not to do the upgrade.

Back N Black

Quote from: JR on June 08, 2018, 11:43:18 AM
Aside from cutting into a couple of wires from the original light harness, no permanent mods at all. No mods at all to the headlight buckets, and it doesn't take long to complete the swap. I can't recommend it enough. I think I installed everything for right around 100 bucks total including lights, wires, relays, connectors and breakers.

I should mention that I've since adjusted the headlights, so the beam distribution is much more even since I took that pic.

Unless you're doing a 100 point concourse restore, there is no reason I can think of not to do the upgrade.

Thanks for the info.  :2thumbs:

JR

You're welcome, :cheers: post the results after you complete the mod for future reference.

Dino

I did the same mod, day and night difference. I also wired all 4 headlights as low/high beams.
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

tommymac

I used the same bulbs in my car.They also had a two relay pack with all the ceramic plugs and wiring to boot..It hooked up very easy,no cutting of any wires,works from the battery  to the lights,switched thru one of the existing light plugs.Tape up the other three and hide them..Very bright,but my amp gauge has jumped up to 15-20..Is this ok..  Octane lighting.