News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is it worth getting new leaf springs?

Started by triple_green, June 08, 2018, 09:56:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

triple_green

my car has the originals, how much of an improvement and where to purchase.

Thanks!
68 Charger 383 HP grandma car (the orignal 3X)

bakerhillpins

Ok, so read that a bit more closely this time..   :rotz:

My opinion is yes, they wear like any other suspension component. I suspect my leafs are toast (the rest of the suspension was) and I was thinking about the same. I would think that at a minimum you would want to replace all the bushings if you haven't. Lots of sites give info on checking them out such as:
http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/how-to-know-when-to-replace-sagging-leaf-springs

Looking for OEM or just any old springs?  There was a post about this a short time ago.....  :scratchchin:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,131617.0.html
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

303 Mopar

Yes it is and I would highly recommend ESPO.com, great quality USA made. I would also recommend +1" arch for a nice stance unless you like factory level.   
1968 Charger - 1970 Cuda - 1969 Sport Satellite Convertible

70 sublime

What about getting the old springs re arched ?
Would this help any ?

The ones in my car look almost flat :(
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

WhiteOnGreen

Quote from: 70 sublime on June 09, 2018, 03:43:53 PM
What about getting the old springs re arched ?
Would this help any ?

The ones in my car look almost flat :(
Yes, most mopar looks flat from factory

Bronzedodge

From the 1969 FSM, Group 17, 1st paragraph under "General Information":

" The rear springs are of the semi-elliptical type and are designed to have little or no camber under very light loads.  When the load on the rear suspension is increased, a small amount of reverse spring camber is normal.  A relatively flat rear spring gives better lateral stability and reduces side sway which provides a well controlled ride and superior handling and stability characteristics."

Having quoted that, we have come a long way from 1969.  The first start is an assessment I suppose.  Are they rusty?  How are the bushings?
Mopar forever!

70 sublime

Hmmm  maybe mine are not as bad as I thought
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

HPP

Quote from: Bronzedodge on June 10, 2018, 07:47:56 AM
From the 1969 FSM, Group 17, 1st paragraph under "General Information":

" The rear springs are of the semi-elliptical type and are designed to have little or no camber under very light loads.  When the load on the rear suspension is increased, a small amount of reverse spring camber is normal.  A relatively flat rear spring gives better lateral stability and reduces side sway which provides a well controlled ride and superior handling and stability characteristics."

Having quoted that, we have come a long way from 1969.  The first start is an assessment I suppose.  Are they rusty?  How are the bushings?

True, but all that info still is still relevant to performance leaf springs. A good leaf actually has a fair amount of tech  built into it that you've never notice; <ulti leaf,  mono leaf, camber, control ratio, parabolic ratio, eye types, leaf count, leaf end style, inter-leaf liners, clip type, mounting orientation, spring rate, load rate, check rate, materials are all factors built into a quality spring.

AKcharger

I had no idea how saggy and low my car was till I changed the springs...huge improvement!

Draco

Just pulling the springs apart and cleaning the rust and dirt out. Fresh spring ware pads and new center bolt can make a big difference. Along with new eye bushings. Measure the height before and after.

Ghoste

They could sit level and then depending on the style of driving you do be failing you as well.  If you are loading the suspension a bunch then you may still need to replace them.