News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Non-Mopar intake manifold question

Started by 440, June 08, 2018, 10:22:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

If dual plane maniolds make more low/midrange power and single plane manifolds make more mid/ upper end power what can one expect out of manifolds of the following rpm ranges?

Edelbrock Air-Gap dual plane 1500-6500
Weiand X-Celerator single plane 1500-7000

Would the torque curve be the main difference?

I'm starting to think about collecting parts for a mild performance budget build for a daily driver. I don't really have any power goals, only goal is a cheap build. The factory cast crank is good to 7500+ rpm and the factory cast heads are capable of making well over 350hp.

c00nhunterjoe

On a mild build, there will be a negligible difference in any of the intakes used. If you are going very tame and cheap, ebay yourself a ch4b or dp4b dependingg on 383 or 440 build. They can be had for 50 bucks and are a nice entry level intake.

***edited- didnt catch that this was not a mopar engine so forget the intakes i posted.

Thanks, they would be for a 351 Cleveland. I would love for it to go to 7000 rpm but being a daily driver I'll probably try to keep the power band under 6000. The 2.92 gears in a heavy car also don't support a screamer so I have to practice some restraint, lol.

c00nhunterjoe

Im not extremely well rounded on the Clevelands, but i k ow there is a massive difference between the 2 and 4 barrel heads and intakes. Make sure you verify what you are getting.

The 4v heads apparantly have too big of ports wheras the 2v heads seem to be the go to cast iron head. Easy to get 10:1+ and the compression is what plauged the engines to start with, too much. Clevelands are quite easy to get good power out of with just basics like intake, cam and exhaust. 2v heads will support 435hp which is pretty good for an iron head, and if you wanted more you'd be looking at alloy heads anyways.

10:1 somewhere in the 300-350 horse range is probably where I'd like to end up. If I have to sacrifice a bit of hp for torque I rather do that to pull the 2.92 gear, nobody likes a dog out of the hole.