News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Oldcarnut's Superbird Clone

Started by oldcarnut, February 14, 2009, 12:11:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldcarnut

Quote from: Seabeckredneck on February 13, 2018, 07:15:15 PM
That's sharp!  Good job! Let me know when you're taking orders.    :yesnod:
we
I don't think I'll be making parts anytime soon as I have  lot more work to be done on the  project. It did cross my mind maybe for something later as an alternative  for cloners since the options seem low for the trim.  All I'd seen was black plastic trim, and $800+ for either one pc fiberglass or repop oem.  Cost me $50 for this to get plotted out and cut. The rest was my time.  I had plenty of stainless sheet metal at the house already to use.  Last I checked however was stainless 11g was running $400-$500 for a 4 x 8 sheet .  Maybe alum would be a cheaper choice and would be a heck of a lot easier to buff and shine up.   Who knows, maybe one day  :shruggy:

Seabeckredneck

I understand the time constraints. and I can imagine the amount of time you have into your project, and it shows!
  I don't know how to plot something to have it cut out like you did. Maybe I can make a template and start with that.
  Keep up the good work. It's looking awesome!

oldcarnut

"I don't know how to plot something to have it cut out like you did. Maybe I can make a template and start with that."

Check around your area to see if they have a machine or sheet metal shop with a water jet or cnc plasma cutter.  Let me know if they do. The file I used should work in their machines. The templete and getting it plotted out for cutting was the most time consuming part other than polishing.  I also did the grill pieces in steel same way.

Seabeckredneck

I do have some shops in the area that I'm sure I could hire. What would you like for a copy of the files?

Thanks! :cheers:

Seabeckredneck

Quote from: oldcarnut on February 16, 2018, 12:10:54 AM
"I don't know how to plot something to have it cut out like you did. Maybe I can make a template and start with that."

Check around your area to see if they have a machine or sheet metal shop with a water jet or cnc plasma cutter.  Let me know if they do. The file I used should work in their machines. The templete and getting it plotted out for cutting was the most time consuming part other than polishing.  I also did the grill pieces in steel same way.

I do work with an excellent machinist. I you want to sell a copy of the files I can beg and plead (maybe a bribery  :cheers:would help) and he could cut them out for me. I can buff them in my shop.
  Let me know what you think.
  Chris in Seabeck

oldcarnut

I haven't forgot.  I just haven't been able to get the guy to email it to me after he said he would. I reckon I'm gonna have to drive by there one evening.

Seabeckredneck

Cool,
let me now if there is anything I can do to help. I'm in Washington state if that helps somehow??? :shruggy:

oldcarnut

For an update I've been driving it around town some to work out any issues coming up after getting the front end aligned.  Before I started getting any outside body work done, I wanted all the bugs worked out since it's been years since it has been on the road.  I have the rear trans seal leaking drips onto the H-pipe. Minor leak but starts smoking from the hot exhaust contact.  Replaced the seal twice but no help.  Reckon I'll swap out the driveshaft yoke next.  Another issue is it wants to start running around 215-220 deg after about 5miles on the road.  Idling it stays around 180 for long time.  Fan sucks a rag against the screen and holds it no problem. I always heard they ran warm but I don't know what's normal.  Dang DB starter which has little use on it keeps occasionally wanting to not crank until I wrap a pole or tire iron against the side of it. I guess maybe I got a bad one but I've had it too long to return it for another. Not sure if it's getting a heat sink or losing ground in it.  Something else to pull off and see if I can check the solenoid out for problems.  Other than that it's been fun looking at the stares and finger pointing as I drive it.

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

cudavic

Quote from: oldcarnut on April 07, 2018, 03:48:12 AM
I have the rear trans seal leaking drips onto the H-pipe. Minor leak but starts smoking from the hot exhaust contact.  Replaced the seal twice but no help.  Reckon I'll swap out the driveshaft yoke next.  

Check the internal plug or cap in the driveshaft yoke, if it is not seal welded it will leak.
Ask me how I know. Best of luck, Vic

Seabeckredneck

Just checking on your build. Mine has been on hold for a little while due to higher priorities. But I hope to get moving on it again soon.
I'm having the rear window plug being made now. I should be seeing that soon.
Have you had any luck with finding the templates for the trim pieces?

oldcarnut

Quote from: Seabeckredneck on June 13, 2018, 09:18:10 PM
Just checking on your build. Mine has been on hold for a little while due to higher priorities. But I hope to get moving on it again soon.
I'm having the rear window plug being made now. I should be seeing that soon.
Have you had any luck with finding the templates for the trim pieces?
I've been working on a house to flip non stop last couple months  so I've let a lot of stuff go including my car for now to get it done.  I texted the guy last night again and got no response.  At this point im not sure he is going to keep his promise to send it to me.

Seabeckredneck

Ok, I understand. Thanks and good luck with the house.
I hope you get back to your car before long.