News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

SOLID VS ZERK U JOINTS W STOCK 440 355 SURE GRIP YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE

Started by 68rtnut, June 08, 2018, 05:53:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

68rtnut

dont race or smoky burn outs just want to do a small burn out now and then :D, squeel tires :D,,zerk joints R fresh frm last owner..what   do u DUDES think?????   THANKS

Kern Dog

For ultimate strength, it is advised to use U-joints without zerks. Maybe this is assuming high power, no wheelspin.
The way I see it, if the joint is new and full of grease, you will be fine with a zerk in there. Maybe if the joint were old and had some slop you'd be wise to replace it soon.

Unless you have a big power thing I say go with Zerks for ease of maintenance, just make sure they are on the compression side.

green69rt

Quote from: 440 on June 08, 2018, 11:27:01 PM
Unless you have a big power thing I say go with Zerks for ease of maintenance, just make sure they are on the compression side.

What do you mean by "compression side"?

The zerk fitting should be on the loaded or compression side of the U-joint so that while under load it tries to crush the zerk fitting. This is the strongest way to install the u-joint.

68rtnut

Quote from: 440 on June 10, 2018, 10:01:03 AM
The zerk fitting should be on the loaded or compression side of the U-joint so that while under load it tries to crush the zerk fitting. This is the strongest way to install the u-joint.

zerk is in center    section of u joint , never seen it any other way last 50 years IMO ,,,am I ok ??

flyinlow

When the driveshaft is spinning in the forward direction ( the only way you should be doing burnouts) the zerk should be 45* ahead in the spin direction of the driveshaft part of of the u-joint cross. In theory , this compresses the zerk hole instead of stretching it like installing it the cross 90* later would.

No sure if it is just a wive's tale or fact.  :shruggy:  So far it has worked for me.

c00nhunterjoe

If the direction of the zerk fitting determines if your joint will fail- you need a bigger shaft

68rtnut

I KNEW that there are no one answer and no one opinion but I thank every ones input,since the zerk spicer joints R new ,,I will stay with them had a 323 factory gear a jump to 355 is not like I put in 410's then I would have just put in solid joints AGAIN THANKS TO ALL AND KEEP THE INPUTS GOING :scratchchin: :scratchchin: :scratchchin:

Since it's all apart anyways why not just install it in the strongest orientation from the start?

LaOtto70Charger

Buy two cheap ones from Autozone with the zerk in the end cap.  Than put the two caps with zerks opposite each so the balance is offset.  Now your have a spare in case it breaks.  .

c00nhunterjoe

The words cheap and driveshaft should not be in the same sentence.

Birdflu

Having owned and operated a drive line shop for the last 26 years, I'd put more stake into the country of origin of your 'used' u-joints. Zerk or not, there is a large variety of offshore 'sand' cast junk out there. We typically only use late model forged (non-greaseable) u-joints when we replace them. After all, the cars in question are not driven like they were in the early days (meaning annual miles) AND most owners aren't going to get under the car and grease the joints anyway. Remember, greaseable u-joints are not only cross drilled, making them weaker, they have an inferior design boot seal that is designed to allow contaminants to be pushed out when you pump new grease in. Wonder how the contaminants got in there in the first place? Answer...the inferior boot seals! 

c00nhunterjoe

LaOtto70Charger

I had a Spicer u joint fail on me in the past.  According to the NAPA guy  in 1998 I installed them wrong so not a warantable failure.  (Same place I bought them from in 1997.) The end caps under the clamped end came out.  The cap I found on the side of the road the end of the retaining ring groove was broken off so I assume I had put the retaining ring in all the way, and the clamps were still firmly bolted in place.  The ended up buying two inferior ones from Autozone for the same price so when my installation error occurred again I would at have a replacement on hand.  Still got the spare in the trunk. 

Where is Spicer u joint plant in the US? Machining and forging all done at the same location?

c00nhunterjoe

As far as i know, spicer is made in china. Still a superior joint to moog neapco or precision.

Birdflu

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on June 16, 2018, 07:34:31 PM
:iagree:  i would put nothing but a spicer joint in my car.

That's all we carry! Checked our stock...ALL made in USA!