News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

1969 Dodge Charger 500: front drum brake to disc conversion

Started by hemi68charger, June 08, 2018, 07:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang..

I was curious... has anyone gone down the road of converting the 11x3" drums to a '70/'71 disk brake setup (spindle, bracket and calipers) which I have up in the attic.... Any unknown pitfalls that someone has experienced?

Thanks in advance...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Bronzedodge

I can't answer your question, but I know several guys that swear by well-functioning drums.  You can get high performance shoes from Musclecar Brakes.
Mopar forever!

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: Bronzedodge on June 10, 2018, 07:52:03 AM
I can't answer your question, but I know several guys that swear by well-functioning drums.  You can get high performance shoes from Musclecar Brakes.

I agree 100%
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .
My Charger is a hybrid car, it burns gas and rubber............

alfaitalia

I hate the dead feel of drums.....they are not put on any cars these days worth there salt for a reason!!

.....that said I found this site with the advantages and disadvantages of drum brakes....to me the cons far outweigh the pro's though!!

Drum brake disadvantages
•Excessive heating can happen due to heavy braking, which then can cause the drum to distort, and thus cause vibration under braking.
•Under hard braking, the diameter of the drum increases slightly due to thermal expansion, the driver must press the brake pedal farther.
•Brake shoes can overheat to the point where they become glazed.
•Excessive brake drum heating can cause the brake fluid to vaporize.
•Grab is the opposite of fade: when the pad friction goes up, the self-assisting nature of the brakes causes application force to go up. If the pad friction is enough, the brake will stay engaged due to self-application, even when the external application force is released.
•Another disadvantage of drum brakes is their relative complexity.
•Maintenance of drum brakes is more time-consuming, compared to disc brakes

Drum brake advantages

Brake shoes today are still being used. Here are some advantages that drum brakes have over disc brakes:
•Drum brakes can provide more braking force than an equal diameter disc brake.
•Drum brakes last longer because drum brakes have increased friction contact area than a disc.
•Drum brakes are cheaper to manufacture than disc brakes.
•Rear drum brakes generate lower heat.
•Drum brakes have a built-in self energizing effect that requires less input force (such as hydraulic pressure
•Wheel cylinders are simpler to recondition than with disc brake calipers.
•Brake shoes can be remanufactured for future use.
•Drums have slightly lower frequency of maintenance due to better corrosion resistance.

:2thumbs:

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Charger-Bodie

Quote from: alfaitalia on June 10, 2018, 10:56:39 AM
I hate the dead feel of drums.....they are not put on any cars these days worth there salt for a reason!!

.....that said I found this site with the advantages and disadvantages of drum brakes....to me the cons far outweigh the pro's though!!

Drum brake disadvantages
•Excessive heating can happen due to heavy braking, which then can cause the drum to distort, and thus cause vibration under braking.
•Under hard braking, the diameter of the drum increases slightly due to thermal expansion, the driver must press the brake pedal farther.
•Brake shoes can overheat to the point where they become glazed.
•Excessive brake drum heating can cause the brake fluid to vaporize.
•Grab is the opposite of fade: when the pad friction goes up, the self-assisting nature of the brakes causes application force to go up. If the pad friction is enough, the brake will stay engaged due to self-application, even when the external application force is released.
•Another disadvantage of drum brakes is their relative complexity.
•Maintenance of drum brakes is more time-consuming, compared to disc brakes

Drum brake advantages

Brake shoes today are still being used. Here are some advantages that drum brakes have over disc brakes:
•Drum brakes can provide more braking force than an equal diameter disc brake.
•Drum brakes last longer because drum brakes have increased friction contact area than a disc.
•Drum brakes are cheaper to manufacture than disc brakes.
•Rear drum brakes generate lower heat.
•Drum brakes have a built-in self energizing effect that requires less input force (such as hydraulic pressure
•Wheel cylinders are simpler to recondition than with disc brake calipers.
•Brake shoes can be remanufactured for future use.
•Drums have slightly lower frequency of maintenance due to better corrosion resistance.

Just curious. Have you ever driven one of these cars with properly set up 11inch brakes and muscle at brakes shoes?
68 Charger R/t white with black v/t and red tailstripe. 440 4 speed ,black interior
68 383 auto with a/c and power windows. Now 440 4 speed jj1 gold black interior .

alfaitalia

The honest answer to that is no....my car came with drums but they were sold so help fund a Wilwood four wheel disc conversion before I even started to rebuild her. But I'm of the age where I drove quite a few drum braked Brit cars when younger. I'm not saying they don't stop I  a hurry when you need to...they just don't feel like they will!...and as I said before I just don't like the feel of drums. I did not write the pros and cons above....just pasted it from elsewhere as an opinion. I doubt think in this day and age that anyone could reasonably argue that drums are better than discs in any way really....which is why (amongst other reasons) they don't use then much anymore....but each so there own. I notice now that the last real stronghold of drum brakes in the UK are nearly all going discs now too......heavy goods vehicles. I was quite surprised to see that.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Charger-Bodie

I actually have two Chargers that have 4 wheel disc. The stop fine ,but imo not a match for the hype.

cdr

just go with disc up front, drum brake adjustment to keep from pulling is a constant battle,  :2thumbs:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

hemi68charger

Quote from: cdr on June 10, 2018, 06:07:08 PM
just go with disc up front, drum brake adjustment to keep from pulling is a constant battle,  :2thumbs:

For me, I'm sure you remember my former T7 bronze Charger 500... It was a manual drum car... Once I rebuilt the system with all new kits and cylinders, I really never had to readjust the brakes.. She always braked straight and hard for me.... So, for this situation, my money overall would be better spent on other Mopar projects I currently own and will about to own.. Plus, I have a friend who supposedly has a complete left and right assembly from his '69 GTX for free.. Can't beat that...  :2thumbs:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

cdr

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 11, 2018, 11:54:46 AM
Quote from: cdr on June 10, 2018, 06:07:08 PM

For me, I'm sure you remember my former T7 bronze Charger 500... It was a manual drum car... Once I rebuilt the system with all new kits and cylinders, I really never had to readjust the brakes.. She always braked straight and hard for me.... So, for this situation, my money overall would be better spent on other Mopar projects I currently own and will about to own.. Plus, I have a friend who supposedly has a complete left and right assembly from his '69 GTX for free.. Can't beat that...  :2thumbs:

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

AKcharger

my front drums on my '70 always gave me grief, glad they're gone!

Highbanked Hauler

The only reason I changed my 500 to disc brakes was I got a set of drop spindles and those don't take drum bearings.
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser